• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

5th grand slam in 22 games. Wow.

That means Wake has lots of guys getting on base ahead of the HRs. That is a sign of strong offense. Even a single should score two with bases loaded. GS is just more icing on that cake.

Seriously. Who would've thought our offense could improve after losing Craig and Mondou. Also now up 13-2 after a Steel home run!

We have more guys stepping up other than the big guys. The entire lineup is hitting and dangerous. That's huge. Let's hope we can keep it going and not blow our load early in the season.

5-0 in midweek games. Scored 15, 13, 13, 18 and 13. We feast on the depth of other team's pitching staffs.

4-1 in our little 5 game road swing.

Based on what was posted days earlier, I expected a close game. Way to go guys.
I understand GT is next. I think UNC-CH got 2 of 3 vs them in close games this past weekend. Hope we match or beat that bar.

5-0 in midweek games. Scored 15, 13, 13, 18 and 13. We feast on the depth of other team's pitching staffs.

4-1 in our little 5 game road swing.

It's interesting too because, at least in the past, some of these smaller teams will throw their best player in midweek games against the bigger boys. Guessing that wasn't the case tonight, but still a good 13 run night.

They may have thrown one of their better guys last night but he wasn't able to go two nights in a row because of the postponement.

Doesn't look like they ever threw their best guy. Their starter Tuesday had a 9+ ERA early in the year

They play in a competitive conference. They are going to throw their best starters on the weekend. These are many of the same pitchers that held State to five runs. We scored more runs on them than anybody else has this year

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fourth top "receiving votes" in the Coach's Poll so 29th there.

Hosting Georgia Tech this weekend who is just outside the top 100 in the RPI right now, 12-7 overall and 2-4 in the ACC. They won one game in each of their first two conference series (@ Miami and home against UNC).

Wake is up to 11th in the RPI and is the third highest ranked team in the conference behind UNC (6th) and Clemson (9th). If we take two of three we'll certainly be ranked. Tech is the best ACC team we play at home the rest of the year as the last three conference series in Winston are against the three worst teams in the conference (ND, BC, and Pitt). Those three are a combined 22-33 and three of the four teams in the ACC with a losing record right now (Miami is the other).

As a side note the ACC does not appear to be as strong as it has been in the past. Clemson, Louisville, FSU, UNC, and Wake appear to be the top five teams so far while State and Miami are off to pretty poor starts given preseason expectations. Lots of time left but Wake is off to a great start.

What is the magic number to feel good about making the tournament regardless of the ACCT?

A winning record in the ACC is usually pretty much of a lock

A winning record in the ACC is usually pretty much of a lock

Yeah winning record in ACC and I'd say somewhere around 33 wins. Duke got in last year with 33 wins IIRC and a decent OOC schedule. We have a top 15 OOC SOS in the nation right now which helps as well.

We're 16-6 (4-2) and have 34 games left (24 conference games, and as mentioned above, 9 of these are home games against the worst three teams in the conference), so finish the year around .500 and we're likely dancing. Again, it's early, but Wake's closer to the discussion to host a region (16 teams host) than the discussion about making the tournament.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/sorenson-off-top-head-4/

This past week our boys at D1baseball.com released their first RPI rankings this year. Yes, it’s only March and we all KNOW that the RPI is still in its infancy for the season and will probably look nothing like it does right now (ahem, Binghamton at No. 14… cough!), but it’s always fun to take a look at how things are now and what’d look like if the season ended today. And yes, it’s fun because it is completely ridiculous, but here we go.
This is what the Top Eight National Seeds would most likely be:
– Oregon State
– South Carolina
– Arizona
– Baylor
– Cal State Fullerton
– North Carolina
– Texas Tech
– West Virginia
And here would probably be the remaining No. 1 seeds:
– Clemson
– St. John’s
– Wake Forest
– Houston
– New Mexico
– Binghamton
– Wright State
– Michigan State

This team has some momentum and some bats! What we need is a good nickname and maybe a mascot to get some baseball mojo going. I think we gotta start calling the boys... RAKE FOREST!! Who's bringing a rake to the GT series??

Going to be there tonight with my son. Looking forward to it.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/sorenson-off-top-head-4/

This past week our boys at D1baseball.com released their first RPI rankings this year. Yes, it’s only March and we all KNOW that the RPI is still in its infancy for the season and will probably look nothing like it does right now (ahem, Binghamton at No. 14… cough!), but it’s always fun to take a look at how things are now and what’d look like if the season ended today. And yes, it’s fun because it is completely ridiculous, but here we go.
This is what the Top Eight National Seeds would most likely be:
– Oregon State
– South Carolina
– Arizona
– Baylor
– Cal State Fullerton
– North Carolina
– Texas Tech
– West Virginia
And here would probably be the remaining No. 1 seeds:
– Clemson
– St. John’s
– Wake Forest
– Houston
– New Mexico
– Binghamton
– Wright State
– Michigan State

Binghamton actually has a Wake transfer Yarchuk who is one of the top (if not the top) hitters in the nation so far.

Interestingly, Binghamton hasn't played a game in three weeks (all been cancelled due to weather) and is undefeated against everyone that isn't New Mexico. They swept VPI and won three other games to get to 7-3 so far. Their projection from Warren Nolan is to finish 2nd in the RPI and to go 39-6, 20-1. I think this is largely based on the fact that America East just flat out sucks at baseball. But yeah I don't think it's likely that Binghamton finishes as a top 10 RPI team. RPI/Warren Nolan have serious projection issues over small sample size and the far end of the tails of the bell curve.

Last edited:
Back