• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Discouraged by reading Blogger So Dear... what's the story behind the quote about redshift juniors not remaining in the program?

Discouraged by reading Blogger So Dear... what's the story behind the quote about redshift juniors not remaining in the program?

It's really not that big of a deal. Typically redshirt juniors who leave the program are getting limited reps. Since they redshirted, they are likely able to graduate in May and then transfer to a smaller program where they'd be eligible immediately. It doesn't hurt Wake's APR since they are graduates and it allows Wake to take on a bigger recruiting class.

More openings to recruit

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Only big thing is a lack of depth...sounds like we are going to depend on some incoming freshmen to step in

Only big thing is a lack of depth...sounds like we are going to depend on some incoming freshmen to step in

This clearly means that there is less depth in the spring, but it's not necessarily a problem come the season because the entire freshman class is on campus by that point. The players graduating likely aren't very good, so probably aren't on the two-deep. Theoretically you are replacing those players with freshmen who are 'more talented.' This could potentially lead to playing some players earlier, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Right. If things go to plan, more talented redshirt freshmen take that playing time and get four years of experience.

Keep in mind these redshirt juniors were the split Grobe/Clawson class.

Right. If things go to plan, more talented redshirt freshmen take that playing time and get four years of experience.

Keep in mind these redshirt juniors were the split Grobe/Clawson class.

But mostly these were the guys that Clawson was able to find in the few months between his hiring and the Feb signing date. If I recall, he allowed (encouraged?) many of the Grobe verbal commits to go elsewhere. So mostly it was Clawson's last minute finds.

The guys that just graduated after their redshirt junior year are from Grobe's last class. The only one I can see hurting at all is Okonye.

The combined Clawson/Grobe class are redshirt juniors/true seniors.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Correct. There was discussion on who should get credit for Wolford (Grobe vs. Clawson).

The guys that just graduated after their redshirt junior year are from Grobe's last class. The only one I can see hurting at all is Okonye.

The combined Clawson/Grobe class are redshirt juniors/true seniors.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah. We will miss Okonye more than we think

Thanks for the correction.

Yeah. We will miss Okonye more than we think[/QUOTE]

Most of the RS Jr. guys that left were never going to see the field except Okonye as you mentioned, was a big loss and will likely hurt us. Jackson only played pass rush situations and we have a ton of pass rushers to fill in at DE so that isn't a concern. Chambers and Gardner never saw the field even when we were playing guys like Osterhage, Gilliam and Benzinger as RS Freshmen that were 3 years younger. Wortham got bounced around and wasn't playing except special teams, and Lamot pretty much special teams. We actually kept the two RS JR's I was worried we'd lose, Ejiofor and Serigne so if you gave me a choice of losing Okonye or one of those two, I'd say lose Okonye (not that it's good to lose him). So all in all not bad but we will miss Okonye and hopefully Cam Glenn can stay healthy and one of more of the RS Fr. safeties like Redd, Masterson, or Delaney have a bust out year like Jessie Bates did.

Yeah. We will miss Okonye more than we think

Most of the RS Jr. guys that left were never going to see the field except Okonye as you mentioned, was a big loss and will likely hurt us. Jackson only played pass rush situations and we have a ton of pass rushers to fill in at DE so that isn't a concern. Chambers and Gardner never saw the field even when we were playing guys like Osterhage, Gilliam and Benzinger as RS Freshmen that were 3 years younger. Wortham got bounced around and wasn't playing except special teams, and Lamot pretty much special teams. We actually kept the two RS JR's I was worried we'd lose, Ejiofor and Serigne so if you gave me a choice of losing Okonye or one of those two, I'd say lose Okonye (not that it's good to lose him). So all in all not bad but we will miss Okonye and hopefully Cam Glenn can stay healthy and one of more of the RS Fr. safeties like Redd, Masterson, or Delaney have a bust out year like Jessie Bates did.[/QUOTE]

Sat near Glenn's parents at spring game and overheard that his recovery has gone great. Sounds like he will be ready to go. He has some really nice parents and they were having a good time at the game.

OK, yet another injury for Hinton. I'm beginning to come to grips that the kid just can't stay healthy....and neither can Wolford. The both of them are just not big enough to get thru a season. Kyle not much bigger and I don't have a clear handle if he's just a drop-back pocket passer or can run/scramble at all. Can he take a hit/stay healthy ??? Then we have a 6'4" 225lb kid who is still green....can he or will he become a factor at QB ? When ? Near impossible to get 4 guys equal reps in August.

The good news (kind of) is that WF has depth at QB as even WF's third QB has started last year (and also played in the Bowl game). Given that both Hinton and Wolford have suffered injuries in the past, likely they will in 2017 too. So, you can expect 3 and maybe 4 QBs to get meaningful snaps next year. Part of it is because the WF offense requires the QB to take hits, part is because both are small, part is because the OL has not protected well.

The only truly impressive QB at the Spring game was Wolford. He was crisp and confident in everything he did and his passing was excellent. The next best was Kearns. After that, it was actually disappointing. I realize that these games deny Hinton the opportunity to use his greatest talent; but that does not prevent him from passing the ball...which he did rather poorly. And my Alamance County guy simply did not show anything in the game...at least before the last quarter when I left.

It's good to have 4 QBs but realistically we have only one who is up to leading this team to greater success, at least that is how it appeared on Saturday.

Hinton's susceptibility to injury is not likely to change. He is not durable enough to be "the guy". I would love to be proven wrong, but fear that I won't be.

Since we don't use a Pro style QB, our QBs are going to get banged up, period. I like Kearns, but I think he probably went to the wrong program for his skill set. He doesn't make a great backup QB because if/when he comes in, you have to change the offense a bit.

Wolford, whom I really love, has gotten banged up every year, and in the last two years, he has had shoulder dingers which have then messed up his mechanics. He is a warrior, and if you had to pick a guy on our squad most likely to be a Power 5 head coach one day, he'd be it. All that said, I don't think anyone thinks we can count on him to be healthy for a full season.

Best case scenario is our starting QB is Hinton with Wolford the #2 and Newman the #3 simply for continuity. I hope Kearns stays at Wake for his education and I am not saying he is a bad QB at all. I just think right now our offense depends on that handoff option read - for good reason - and Wolford and Hinton both run it very well for different reasons.

Wolford is also the type of QB that due to his preparation, he looks great against average to inferior athletes and can get swamped against elite athleticism. It is night and day. Not his fault, just the way it is. Hinton can make elite athletes miss. He can also get pummeled by elite athletes.

The takeaway is may need at least three if not 4 QBs next year. We needed 3 to get through last year.

Losing Stewart is nullified by adding Rodney back. Would have been nice to have both. Thought Rodney was coming along towards the end of his Rs-Freshman year.

Back