• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

I would like to see Wade win the 'S' receiver spot with BTO and Grate backing him up!

Heard that Belin may be headed to Vandy to coach LBs.

This Dan Collins article confirms that the defense will remain a 4-2-5, but that Sawvel will have so much flexibility to run it however he wants that Clawson is describing it as a system change. The article also details how the coaching search focused on DCs that were running defense with a similar formation.

This Dan Collins article confirms that the defense will remain a 4-2-5, but that Sawvel will have so much flexibility to run it however he wants that Clawson is describing it as a system change. The article also details how the coaching search focused on DCs that were running defense with a similar formation.

Basically nobody left from last year on the defensive staff. That will be tough on the players. New coaches, new terminology, presumably at least some new techniques. Offense is going to have to step up if Wake is to have another winning season.

Looks like Clawson went out of his way to lighten the load on his players.

It seems Sawvel will use Kemp and a 3rd corner interchangeably in the "rover" position. Which will be a change from Elko's. It will depend on the down and distance of whether he uses more of an LB (Kemp) or a DB.

The beauty of our D in the Clawson years has been that our opponent don't know whether we're are showing 3,4,5 DLs, 3,4,5 LBs or 3,4,5 Safeties. They only thing they can count on are at least 2 CBs on every play. This has given the Deacs a fighting chance. Good luck to all the players as spring practice opens. Watch to see if the OL can block better.

What happened to Claude and Jeremiah Brown? Missed that news

Great analysis.

Wolford looked really good in our bowl game, pre injury.

Agreed.

I like the overall analysis, but I think Wolford is the favorite for QB. Maybe I'm in the significant minority here, but I hope it turns out that way. Clawson mentioned before the bowl game that Wolford has essentially always played hurt and was predicting really good things in the bowl game since he was healthy. Which he was for the first half and looked great (against a statistically solid defense). I think it's actually his to lose. Again, I kind of hope so...I think we're better overall with him under center for most snaps. Hinton in occasionally to mix it up.

I like Wolford, but we have seen what he brings to the table already. Think it's time for Hinton to get a shot at it, and have Wolford there if/when Hinton gets hurt.

There is no favorite at QB.

The competition is open. Wolford had a nice game against a top 10 defense in the Bowl game, but he also had some major struggles throughout the year. Injury may have played a role, but doesn't explain it all.

Have no doubt that Clawson will go with the QB that feels gives WF the best chance to win games in 2017. Could be Wolford, Hinton, Newman or Kearns. Clawson will not play favorites or start a senior out of deference. This is business.

Last edited:

The competition is open. Wolford had a nice game against a top 10 defense in the Bowl game, but he also had some major struggles throughout the year. Injury may have played a role, but doesn't explain it all.

Have no doubt that Clawson will go with the QB that feels gives WF the best chance to win game in 2017. Could be Wolford, Hinton, Newman or Kearns. Clawson will not play favorites or start a senior out of deference. This is business.

-What we don't know is how much of last season Wolford played while hurting. He may not have been injured as badly as Hinton was with the knee, but we only heard about the one shoulder injury. If he had some knicks elsewhere, we may have not been seeing the Wolford who played in the Temple game most of the season. He may have been playing because Kearns wasn't ready and Hinton was just unable to play. Spring will be an interesting time, to see which of the QB's steps up.

Have no doubt that Clawson will go with the QB that feels gives WF the best chance to win game in 2017. Could be Wolford, Hinton, Newman or Kearns. Clawson will not play favorites or start a senior out of deference. This is business.

100% agree. I hope it is a strong competition which will push them to improvement across all of the options. Just think when all is said and done we will see Wolford under center against Presbyterian.

100% agree. I hope it is a strong competition which will push them to improvement across all of the options. Just think when all is said and done we will see Wolford under center against Presbyterian.

Respectfully disagree. Hinton has already been named the starter going into practice with an open competition but Hinton still has a slight advantage. Hinton will come out of the Spring the starter barring injury. He brings a dynamic to the offense that no other QB does.

Respectfully disagree. Hinton has already been named the starter going into practice with an open competition but Hinton still has a slight advantage. Hinton will come out of the Spring the starter barring injury. He brings a dynamic to the offense that no other QB does.

I didn't see he was named starter for the Spring. Where'd you see/hear that? I heard more concern about Hinton's injury being fully healed and if he were ready.

Back