• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Respectfully disagree. Hinton has already been named the starter going into practice with an open competition but Hinton still has a slight advantage. Hinton will come out of the Spring the starter barring injury. He brings a dynamic to the offense that no other QB does.

Don't think that's accurate. Hinton may emerge as the starter after Spring practice, but if he outplayed this Spring, why would it be set in stone that he must start?

I didn't see he was named starter for the Spring. Where'd you see/hear that? I heard more concern about Hinton's injury being fully healed and if he were ready.

Don't think that's accurate. Hinton may emerge as the starter after Spring practice, but if he outplayed this Spring, why would it be set in stone that he must start?

From Dan Collins article posted online 13 hours ago: "Hinton will be designated first-string when the Deacons assemble for the first practice of the spring on campus, with John Wolford listed as second-string."

We already know Hinton is more dynamic than Wolford. Hinton would really have to digress and Wolford would have to show out for him to dethrone Hinton. Wolford is an amazing back up to have and will most likely play in the fall regardless.

What happened to Claude and Jeremiah Brown? Missed that news

Jeremiah Brown left the team after the fall semester. Claude is at home attending to a family matter. Clawson gave the impression that he was gone for good, but he remains on the roster. So I think there is some wait-and-see there.

Spring practice started today.
Saw that Malik Grate is moving to corner and Clawson talked a lot about getting Newman or Kearns prepared as a back up qb since Hinton and Wolford have such a history of injuries. The good news is that they seem healthy at present.
I assume that practice is closed so that there are no 'wall-watchers' to report anything.

Also saw that Tyler Bell tore his ACL (apologies if already posted). This mean Beal or Byrd will have to be ready for decent PT with the transfer of Reid.

Wow. As mentioned in the previous posts, lots of news in the article posted on the official site.

Here’s a breakdown:

POSITION CHANGES – Chuck Wade to outside receiver and Malik Grate to corner. I expect that there will be some people on these boards that will be pleased with the Wade news. I’ll update the depth charts in the OP. With Grate moving to corner that leaves Wake with only six scholarship receivers (assuming Claude does not return) until the freshman arrive. That should make the spring game a challenge. While the article says that Wade will play both positions, I would expect that the pairings will be Lewis/Washington at X, Wade/Bachman at S, and Hines/Dortch at slot. It becomes more important now that Dortch prove that he is more than a special teams guy. That will be something to keep an eye on this spring. Also, it will be very important for that group to stay healthy if we want any hope of redshirting the freshmen.

QB COMPETITION – Of course there was confirmation that Hinton will battle Wolford for the starting job (Hinton starts camp as the #1), that was expected, but the bigger news seemed to be the acknowledgement that the reps will be distributed between three QBs (instead of two like last year) and that Kearns and Newman will battle early in camp to determine who the third QB will be. I’m happy with this news. Wolford and Hinton likely won’t stay healthy, and neither one plays well when injured, so it makes complete sense to get a third QB ready to go.

Here is the excerpt from the article on the official site:

“It’s really important between (Jamie) Newman and (Kyle) Kearns that we get one of them ready to play,” said Clawson. “In my meetings with John and Kendall, I tell them that everybody within our walls and outside of our walls wants us to have one quarterback. And we do too. But those two guys haven’t stayed healthy for more than two or three games at a time for the last two years. We’re repping them equally with the ones. Kendall is the starter but John’s getting a lot of reps with the ones because he has to. And I told them we have to get a third quarterback ready because neither of you have stayed healthy. I think one of the battles that people won’t talk about is between Jamie and Kyle. It’s tough to get three quarterbacks ready, you can’t get four (ready). So that competition between Kyle and Jamie, we’ll have to prepare our third quarterback because if we don’t, we’re just not being prudent.”

INJURIES – Bell out with a torn ACL means increased reps for Arkeem Byrd and Christian Beal. Clawson has made fairly clear on a few occasions that there is room for 3 running backs to get carries. I’d expect the third to be Byrd, but Beal will get the opportunity to compete.

How / when did Bell tear his ACL?? Don't remember him doing it during the bowl game or regular season

#3 Jamie Newman

Most important offensive item to watch. Will Clawson take the reins off the play calling & scheme ?

Highly sought after post-grad transferee CB Adrian Baker (Clemson) plans to take an official visit to Wake Forest on March 17. He will visit Oklahoma State this weekend and Iowa State the following weekend. He's also planning a trip to Arizona State on March 30, and an unofficial visit to UCF.

Also saw that Tyler Bell tore his ACL (apologies if already posted). This mean Beal or Byrd will have to be ready for decent PT with the transfer of Reid.

I think Wake has more ACL injuries in noncontact situations than is normally to be expected. Remembering that big TE recruit we had recently who destroyed his knee or something just doing informal practice as an early enrollee. Promptly transferred.

I think Wake has more ACL injuries in noncontact situations than is normally to be expected. Remembering that big TE recruit we had recently who destroyed his knee or something just doing informal practice as an early enrollee. Promptly transferred.

I think Bo Archibald broke his leg IIRC.

Highly sought after post-grad transferee CB Adrian Baker (Clemson) plans to take an official visit to Wake Forest on March 17. He will visit Oklahoma State this weekend and Iowa State the following weekend. He's also planning a trip to Arizona State on March 30, and an unofficial visit to UCF.

Fascinating. I wonder what he's looking for since he's turning down a chance to compete for another national championship.

Great pickup 94. Baker was an ESPN 300 recruit with slew of big offers so had great potential. Started 3 games in 2015 and was getting more PT but tore his ACL in spring of 2016 so didn't play this year.

Also on the slot news, from Beal's film it looks like he may get some looks in the slot and play multiple roles like Nyheim Hines at NCSU so possibly making a little room for Beal to get some reps there as well.

I really think it will be hard to keep Beal off the field.

ACL injuries are more often than not non-contact injuries anyway, so I don't think it is all too shocking. It's a cleat/cutting injury quite often or jumping slightly awkwardly off a leg (see Jabari Parker)

Does anyone know how the Deacs did on pro day today?

Back