• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Julian Thomas-Jackson has transferred to UTEP as a post-grad.

Julian Thomas-Jackson has transferred to UTEP as a post-grad.

I always liked him. Seemed like the entirety of his role was to rush the passer on third and long and play ST.

Will Newman be given a serious opportunity to move up to #2 QB??? It appears he has passed Kearns and we know what we have in Wolford...

An old adage in coaching says if two players are equal, go with the one who has the most eligibility remaining. We know what we have in Wolford, he has given us his all, but Newman needs some snaps.

If Hinton doesn't throw better, Newman might become #2 behind starter Wolford.

Last edited:
Newman presents us with the kind of QB that has regularly beaten us: big, mobile and with a strong arm. If he knows the play book and if he is accurate, I think he has to be given a shot at playing major minutes in the early season.

Newman presents us with the kind of QB that has regularly beaten us: big, mobile and with a strong arm. If he knows the play book and if he is accurate, I think he has to be given a shot at playing major minutes in the early season.

It would actually be smart to get him some minutes early in the season when the opposition isn't so strong. Either Hinton or Wolford will start game 1, barring injury to both. I would see Newman getting some time in the second half to get him a little game speed action.

I would be shocked to see Clawson start a freshman at QB again unless the frosh QB was incredibly good.

An old adage in coaching says if two players are equal, go with the one who has the most eligibility remaining. We know what we have in Wolford, he has given us his all, but Newman needs some snaps.

QB is one position where that isn't always the best strategy. Green quarterbacks haven't had to make decisions under the pressure and at the speed of the college game. QB, more than any other position, is a mental and decision making position. The speed at which those decisions need to be made is much faster in college than in HS. (It ramps up again in the pros.) One of the experienced QB's not named Kearns is going to be the starter for Wake in the first game this season.

But this isn't basketball. QBs don't count their minutes. It's all or nothing for QBs, for the most part.

But this isn't basketball. QBs don't count their minutes. It's all or nothing for QBs, for the most part.

QB's may not count their minutes, but their coaches count their number of plays. I would not want to put a quarterback in a game against Clemson without him taking some snaps against Elon, BC etc. Work the kid in gradually. Let him take some snaps in the second half of the early games to see how he does at game speed.

Even Chris Paul didn't start his first basketball game at Wake.

I fully believe either Hinton or Wolford will start most of the games in 2017. However, if Hinton ends up being QB1, I'd like to see Newman challenge Wolford for QB2. A healthy, strong armed, well-protected Wolford is a pretty good quarterback, but those three things have rarely come together all at the same time.

Even Chris Paul didn't start his first basketball game at Wake.

I get to be the picky one ... yes he did! It was against Memphis. Downey came off the bench after having his appendix removed a few days prior.

The current college football game is all about pass completions. The spread offense uses short passes almost like long pitchouts to running backs used to be used. Therefore, QB's who can't find their targets are not as useful as those who can. Even if the QB can run.

People are really getting out of sorts about stats from one scrimmage.

People are really getting out of sorts about stats from one scrimmage.

Agree.
Still lots of time for the QBs to practice and get better and for the coaches to sort out who starts and who's the back up.
I'd bet a lot of money that they don't read this thread every day to see who they should play.
Relax.

The reason this is being looked at pretty hard is that it is a continuation of a trend with Hinton, and one of the things that has been a negative his career so far, and that is completion percentage. Hinton's lower completion percentage has always been the one thing that made Wolford a close second. Hinton's legs and ability to avoid the rush were his plus. His passing accuracy was a negative.

Hinton just came back from an injury that caused him to sit out most of the year. It was his first time back as a full go in a game situation. Hinton's completion percentage was higher than Wolford's last year (small sample size) but give the dude a break and let the spring play out.

FWIW Hinton was (relatively) bad last spring and then outplayed Wolford in the summer to win the job. So you can look at that as evidence that spring performance means very little, or evidence that Hinton has been uneven in the past. Or both.

Hinton's performance in the 1st scrimmage back was understandable. The larger issue is durability. We need a QB who is a threat to run but who does his greater damage passing the ball. If we are going to depend on a running QB he must be durable. Hinton does not appear to be that guy. So, he must be good as a passer! Wolford is tough as nails but he has been injuried each season he has played. We need a better passing game and a QB who can run well while absorbing punishment. I don't know if he's the guy, but Newman is our best prospect for all that on paper.

We don't even know how many of those throws were deep balls or under duress from the first team D or even drops.

Hinton had a higher completion percentage than Wolford last year anyway.

Back