• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Exactly. I'm guessing the main reasons Ruggeiro is still the OC are the Elrod scandal, the offensive explosion in the Military Bowl, and Clawson didn't want to replace all three coordinators in the same offseason.

Oh I think Ruggerio is probably running an offense like Clawson wants for better or worse. Doubt Clawson likes the results, but the philosophy is his.

Oh I think Ruggerio is probably running an offense like Clawson wants for better or worse. Doubt Clawson likes the results, but the philosophy is his.

I don't doubt that at all. I think Schier was probably running special teams like Clawson wants too, he just wasn't doing it well.

I don't doubt that at all. I think Schier was probably running special teams like Clawson wants too, he just wasn't doing it well.

Yea maybe. Hard to know what standards Scheier wasn't meeting, but there were consequences for not meeting them which is what matters.

Yea maybe. Hard to know what standards Scheier wasn't meeting, but there were consequences for not meeting them which is what matters.

Exactly. And that's encouraging.

Standards of performance for members of a coaching staff...that's a refreshing idea.

We shall see. If Ruggerio's O does not show real improvement and an ability to score points this year, he would have to be gone. The Treasury of Merit has to be out of dispensations.

We will never (and should never) know all the circumstances that led Clawson to shake up his staff. Fair to assume that on-field performance was a factor. Also, fair to assume that there were other factors. Telling that the best job that Shier could get is as "quality control" assistant which is low paying (even at tOSU) coaching staff role who can't recruit on behalf of his school.

Could be wrong, but believe that Clawson is more involved with the offense than he is with special teams.

Offense is a lot harder to build than a defense. All the parts have to work together to have a good offense. If one part isn't doing well, the who thing doesn't do that well. On D, because it is designed to be disruptive, everything doesn't have to mesh as tightly, and one or two players in key spots (Duke Ejiofor) can make the whole operation look better very quickly.

A defense can ruin the offense's play in a number of ways, from backfield penetration to downfield pass coverage. And it only takes the D breaking one part of the offense to stop it. Whereas all parts of the offense have to work in unison to have a good offensive operation.

Offense is a lot harder to build than a defense. All the parts have to work together to have a good offense. If one part isn't doing well, the who thing doesn't do that well. On D, because it is designed to be disruptive, everything doesn't have to mesh as tightly, and one or two players in key spots (Duke Ejiofor) can make the whole operation look better very quickly.

A defense can ruin the offense's play in a number of ways, from backfield penetration to downfield pass coverage. And it only takes the D breaking one part of the offense to stop it. Whereas all parts of the offense have to work in unison to have a good offensive operation.

I understand......but is there a mathematical formula to describe this?

I understand......but is there a mathematical formula to describe this?

Gonna need an OLS Regression, tobit too. Binomial regression would be too simplistic for this scenario.

Gonna need an OLS Regression, tobit too. Binomial regression would be too simplistic for this scenario.

It would take a multi-variate analysis, probably with additional Monte Carlo simulations to adequately describe the concepts mathematically.

If anyone wants to keep up with the spring game, see a couple updates on how players are doing, etc. go look at Les Johns' twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the Spring Game. That's in two weeks. This is the first scrimmage.

Lots of good info.

Last edited:
It would take a multi-variate analysis, probably with additional Monte Carlo simulations to adequately describe the concepts mathematically.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. WFU high powered football offenses are discrete, rare events and therefore follow a Poisson distribution, requiring non parametric testing.

Wake's running game has looked like dichotomous outcomes. 0 or 1 yard.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. WFU high powered football offenses are discrete, rare events and therefore follow a Poisson distribution, requiring non parametric testing.

Poisson is too close to Normal distribution for Wake. Need to do Latin Hypercube sampling on probably 10 million Monte Carlo runs to adequately characterize the low probability, high consequence events in the CCDF.

From today’s scrimmage

Passing Stats:
Wolford: 7/10 for 66 yards
Newman: 6/9 for 61 yards
Hinton: 4/12 for 50 yards
Kearns: 4/5 for 44 yards

Receiving Stats:
Hines: 6 catches for 51 yards
Dortch: 4 catches for 32 yards
Wade: 2 catches for 43 yards

Longest plays from scrimmage:
Cade Carney 61 yard run
Newman 31 yard pass to Wade
Christian Beal 27 yard run

Thanks Ph I miswrote that, not the spring game. Carney and Beal together averaged 8.4 yards per carry so that's nice. Also sounds like Newman looked really good and Hinton has his mobility back post-injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back