• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Kelsey

I am glad he and his team are headed for the shoe but would not want to see him coaching against us.

Pat Kelsey took the UMASS job today. Is he still not a candidate for that job (as referenced above)?? LOL He was also a top candidate for the NC State job.

Wes Miller is a candidate at UNCW: http://www.nsjonline.com/article/2017/03/3-names-to-watch-in-the-uncw-coaching-search

Both Coaches should do well in the A10. If they do, we will have missed our window to hire either unfortunately. I could see Pat at IU, Ohio State, or Xavier one day. Wes is already being talked about for the UNC job now--if he were to win in his next gig (whether he takes that this year or next): http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/forums/1410-basketball/15464713-wes-miller-to-uncw

Pat Kelsey took the UMASS job today. Is he still not a candidate for that job (as referenced above)?? LOL He was also a top candidate for the NC State job.

Wes Miller is a candidate at UNCW: http://www.nsjonline.com/article/2017/03/3-names-to-watch-in-the-uncw-coaching-search

Both Coaches should do well in the A10. If they do, we will have missed our window to hire either unfortunately. I could see Pat at IU, Ohio State, or Xavier one day. Wes is already being talked about for the UNC job now--if he were to win in his next gig (whether he takes that this year or next): http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/forums/1410-basketball/15464713-wes-miller-to-uncw

Clown post.

Wake Forest didn't miss the window with either.

The last 3 UNCW coaches to leave for "better" jobs went to:

- DePaul (Wainwright in 2002)
- Wright St. (Brownell in 2006)
- State (Keatts this year)

Since Calpari left UMASS in 1996, the only coach to leave UMASS for a better job was Travis Ford to OK State in 2008. Don't make it seem like the next step from UMASS and UNCW is a top 5 program.

Both UMASS and UNCW are exactly the type of programs that Wake Forest or any other Power V program hires out of; see: Danny Manning from Tulsa and Skip Prosser from Xavier. Except for extremely rare exceptions, ACC schools do not hire out of low level D-1 programs like Winthrop and UNC-G.

We are all aware that stirring the pot is how you roll, but don't try to dish condescending crap on this board that WF lost its window because it didn't hire coaches at Winthrop or UNC-G. Weak.

Last edited:
Clown post.

Since Calpari left UMASS in 1996, the only coach to leave UMASS for a better job was Travis Ford to OK State in 2008. Don't make it seem like the next step from UMASS and UNCW is a top 5 program.

Both UMASS and UNCW are exactly the type of programs that Wake Forest or any other Power V program hires out of; see: Danny Manning from Tulsa and Skip Prosser from Xavier. Except for extremely rare exceptions, ACC schools do not hire out of low level D-1 programs like Winthrop and UNC-G.

We are all aware that stirring the pot is how you roll, but don't try to dish condescending crap on this board that WF lost its window because it didn't hire coaches at Winthrop or UNC-G. Weak.

When Miller and/or Kelsey explode at those jobs and they are looking at offers from Indiana, Xavier, Ohio State, UNC respectively and they take one of them instead of our job, you'll see. It's not a "clown post."

I want what's best for WF. It's clear WF and I disagree on how to get there. We'll see who is right in life. We should have been paying attention to Kelsey and Miller as they were right under our nose. We weren't. We need a fresh AD to look at this stuff. Wellman is a loser.

Last edited:
When Miller and/or Kelsey explode at those jobs and they are looking at offers from Indiana, Xavier, Ohio State, UNC respectively and they take one of them instead of our job, you'll see. It's not a "clown post."

I want what's best for WF. It's clear WF and I disagree on how to get there. We'll see who is right in life. We should have been paying attention to Kelsey and Miller as they were right under our nose. We weren't. We need a fresh AD to look at this stuff. Wellman is a loser.

Miller & Kelsey are not ready for Indiana, UNC or Ohio State at this time. If Kelsey wins at UMass, he will then prove himself for the next step up. Alford right now is being talked about as replacement at his alma mater of Indiana. Last year they were flying banners at UCLA ready to get rid of him. 1 recruit, Lonzo Ball has turned that around for him but he has to deal with Daddy. He better get out while the getting is good and take the $4-5 million per year at IU. That could leave Gregg Marshall & crazy wife Lynn going to UCLA, there they can all deal with the movie star culture.

I agree we need a new AD though!

Clown post.

Wainwright actually went to Richmond.

They will both be far too old in 4-5 years.

They will both be far too old in 4-5 years.

Very nice step up for Wes Miller if he goes from UNC-G to UNC-W. Then all he has to do is do well and he can add a letter down the road for the crowning job UNC-Ch and they would have an alumnus

UNCW didn't join the A-10.

They didn't, they are in the Colonial Athletic Conference-CAA. It has The College of William & Mary, Towson, James Madison, Elon, etc

They didn't, they are in the Colonial Athletic Conference-CAA. It has The College of William & Mary, Towson, James Madison, Elon, etc

That's what I thought. I couldn't figure out why donaldross said "both coaches (Kelsey and Wes Miller) should do well in the A10." I thought he knew something I didn't.

oh don't worry, he knows ALL KINDS of stuff that the rest of us don't. He gives literally HUNDREDS of dollars to wake.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account
@GoodmanESPN

Follow
More
Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey has had a change of heart and will not take the UMass job, sources told ESPN.

I am hearing K is applying his big man strategy here and is hiring both Kelsey and Miller as assistant coaches to prevent them from coaching elsewhere.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account
@GoodmanESPN

Follow
More
Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey has had a change of heart and will not take the UMass job, sources told ESPN.

did Goodman confirm or deny if donaldross was involved in this change of heart?

well someone on the other thread said they heard G-town is interested in Manning, so obvi Kelsey is holding out for the soon-to-be-open Wake job.

Back