• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

It isn't really a lead dog type thing with Simmons. It's more just in the modern NBA you can't have two non-shooters in your 1-2-3-4 lineup. If you draft Fox and play him with Simmons together a lot both will struggle in developing from not having the spacing they need.

But I do agree that if Fox is there and there is a huge drop off to the next player level you could still take him. But if it is close, I'd lean elsewhere because Simmons is a solid prospect.

Chad Ford's "Big Board 5.0" was posted last night... This is NOT his mock draft, which had Collins going #29 to the Spurs a couple of weeks ago. This is just a ranking of the 30 best players.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19138112/chad-ford-nba-draft-2017-big-board-50-ranking-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-more

Insider only, but the punchline is Collins slipped from #18 to #22.

"Collins' efficiency as a scorer combined with length and athleticism make him a solid choice in the second half of the first round.

None of the scouts I spoke with see a super-high ceiling for him. But his work ethic and physical tools also point to someone who should be able to carve out a long career in the NBA."

Tatum went from #8 to #4
Fox went from #9 to #5
Giles flat at #13
Kennard #18 (from unranked... "highest riser on the draft board")

Exactly. tau thinks at worst he's going to do what no Pack player has done since Googs.

I think DSJ is going to be good. Don't get me wrong. But he's in a great PG class entering a great PG league.

I think one guy that gets overlooked is TJW. He has to consistently stay healthy, but if he does, I think he is going to have a very good NBA career.

The dude shot 57% and averaged 19 a game the last three games of the regular season.

That's a high floor. One time All-Star, 6 year starter in 8 years who has never failed to make the playoffs.

It's laughable to compare DSJ to a prospect entering the NBA compared to anyone State has had playing for them any time recently. Hell, he probably is the best prospect State has had for the NBA since some guy named David Thompson. I'm speaking more to the player he will be in the NBA, not arbitrary marks that you mention. As you said, the NBA is loaded at PG right now, it's not crazy to think that he is every bit the player Teague has been, without making an All Star game (which I believe he will make a few of). But whatever. It's just one guys opinion, I got no problem with other people thinking differently. Just think that DSJ is going to be really good. He and TJW are going to start getting NCSU having a better presence in the League for a long time.

Last edited:
TJW is a surprisingly good rebounder for a SF.

If he could add a 3 point shot, he could be really, really good. He already gets defensive stats, too.

My sleepers in this draft: Jordan Bell, Dozier and Williams-Goss. W-G plays so hard.

Now that John Collins has declared and hired an agent - or is in the process of hiring one, I will assume he got some assurances via Danny Manning that he would be drafted in the top 20 as that is what he had confided in someone who posted here. I really really want to see Collins in Miami playing next to Whiteside. Whiteside has very little offensive game and is more an offensive rebounder than anything on offense. I think the two could play really well together. Both are good at help D, and Collins may need the help early on. Miami is extremely weak at the 4. They essentially played with James Johnson at the point 4 for the last 25 games. Collins could get a lot of run in Miami.

Assuming the Heat resign JJ, they could be a lot of fun for Deacon fans to watch. The timing of Collins announcement coincided with the Heat being eliminated from the playoffs as well, maybe not exactly, but a boy can surmise! Maybe the Heat have let Collins know they are extremely interested ...

Agreed that DM must have received some good feedback from his NBA contacts on JC's draft prospects.

Now DM needs to keep the train on the tracks and continue to develop the bigs.

BIG MAN U! :)

Amazing what Manning was able to do with Collins giving what most people thought of Collins coming out of school. Sounds like he could go anywhere from high teens to low 20s. Hope he has a great career, he was fun to watch when he wasn't destroying NCSU.

My guess is JC ends up going to the Hawks. If he doesn't, would love for him to somehow land with the Hornets or Spurs.

My guess is JC ends up going to the Hawks. If he doesn't, would love for him to somehow land with the Hornets or Spurs.

If he falls that low, I would think the Hawks will take him. Barring trades, I think he goes to either the Bulls or Heat.

The Heat just got locked into the lottery on the same day Collins declared. I think that guarantees the Heat a top 14 pick, or maybe THE 14th pick. If they make the playoffs, they are 15 or 16. It will be interesting to see if the stupid Kings blow up the draft by making idiot picks earlier that then result in consensus top12 players being available when Miami picks. Might allow them to rethink the Collins pick or trade down.

Lots to happen but Miami sure looks like a great fit for a Florida kid with a back to the basket game that Whiteside doesn't really have, but potentially without the length defensively that Whiteside protects. Like the pick a lot for Miami and they were a ton of fun to watch since Christmas. Miami actually went 30-11 over the last 41 games - AND MISSED the playoffs. Boston breathing a sigh of relief for sure.

Hard to believe the Hornets are going to gamble on Giles at 13

FIFY. He's in state, everyone hates him, and I'm sure MJ probably gave him some "sage" advice at some point. Oh, and he isn't good. All things the Hornets look for in the first round.

Last edited:
Saw a report this morning that Donovan Mitchell (the Louisville one) will stay in the draft and not return to Louisville in the fall.

ACC is gonna be so different next year.

FIFY. He's in state, everyone hates him, and I'm sure MJ probably gave him some "sage" advice at some point. Oh, and he isn't good. All things the Hornets look for in the first round.

If MJ takes HG, Harry will be a role player if that.

If Pop takes HG, Harry becomes a cross of Tim and KG.

If MJ takes HG, Harry will be a role player if that.

If Pop takes HG, Harry becomes a cross of Tim and KG.

There is also a significant probability that, no matter who drafts him, he becomes the next Greg Oden.

Back