• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

If the Hornets do it and the Lakers take Kennard, it will be a lose/lose.

of course. i may quit the board if i'm wrong about christian mccaffrey tho.

out of curiosity which prospects do you like in the 11 range?

Either Collins
The French guy
Justin Jackson (I wouldn't be shocked to see the Spurs move up to get him)
Anunoby

Absolutely no reason the [insert favorite team here] Hornets shouldn't take him at #11. They are rumored to go with Donovan Mitchell, who was in the same clips and completely invisible compared to JC.

HoF post wrt Mitchell not figuring more prominently in the Collins video.

Last edited:
I am of the opine that Ball is this generation's Melo Anthony - a top 20 player who won't ever even sniff a championship and will be dissed by fans his entire career, a poor man's Jason Kidd.

I like in this draft, meaning great value for pick spot - Tatum, Kennard, John Collins, Adebayo, Markannen, Frank Jackson, Josh Hart, and Tom Bradley. I think there are going to be some fine NBA players picked in the 2nd round. There is a lot of depth in this draft.

I think Dennis Smith is going to be good for a few years then blow out his knee again and suck. I keep seeing Stevie Francis. Don't get the Tatum hate. I think he is going to be smooth good, maybe as good as Paul George.

I can't believe anybody is going to waste a 1st round pick on Giles. He will never average more than 3pts a game in the NBA. Mark it down. He's gonna need to earn his coin overseas after his first contract here. He blows. Feel bad for him, but he blows.

I think a lot of the bigs in this draft are going to be trash. Maybe there is a Myles Turner hidden in there somewhere, but I don't see it yet on limited viewing. Zach Collins will be an NBA journeyman, a quality backup in the Scottie Pollard mold. That's it.

My humble opines

HoF post wrt Mitchell not figuring more prominently in the Collins video.

If I'm spending the #11 pick on somebody, I want him to shine all the time, not just when the mixtape masters say he does. Collins looked good in Mitchell's video, despite it not being focused on him.

I spent last night reading the last 3-4 years of NBA Draft/Offseason threads... The only takeaway is that we are ALL idiots (including myself).

I was hoping to find a few people who had consistently astute opinions on who would be good from the NBA Draft and where free agents would go (and why)... There was nobody.

It was comically bad. Too many examples to even gather and repost.

So just enjoy it for what it is.

Oh, and why is Giles wearing sweatpants in that workout? Is he trying to hide the fact that he has on two giant knee-braces and can't really bend his knees anymore?

I can't see anyone taking a chance on him in the top half of the first round. It's a shame, but he looks Greg Oden done.

With Mitchell, the ceiling is maybe getting an EC version of Dame and CJ. The Hornets need more from that spot. Who is someone they can take who will assure this is the last lottery pick they'll make for a long time? I don't think Mitchell is that guy.

Plus it would be tough to play Mitchell and Kemba together, that backcourt would get posted up routinely. We already have MKG as a strong defender who can't shoot; Mitchell can shoot better than MKG obviously, but I don't think he'll ever light it up at the NBA level. I do like Kennard more than Mitchell, he may never be a starter but he can fill the Jeremy Lin 6th man offensive spark plug role nicely that they so desperately needed last season. But I would still love JC at that pick, post scoring bigs are so rare these days, he would be great next to Zeller and a complete change of pace from Frank.

here's a 4 minute highlight video of JC's official pro day in front of scouts of the all the NBA teams. empty gym and all that but head DraftExpress scout Jonathan Givony came away impressed.

Watching that video, I wept thinking that JC could have been a Junior for us this year. He looked fantastic in that video - seriously extended his range already. Looks like a top 15 pick.

I am of the opine that Ball is this generation's Melo Anthony - a top 20 player who won't ever even sniff a championship and will be dissed by fans his entire career, a poor man's Jason Kidd.

I like in this draft, meaning great value for pick spot - Tatum, Kennard, John Collins, Adebayo, Markannen, Frank Jackson, Josh Hart, and Tom Bradley. I think there are going to be some fine NBA players picked in the 2nd round. There is a lot of depth in this draft.

I think Dennis Smith is going to be good for a few years then blow out his knee again and suck. I keep seeing Stevie Francis. Don't get the Tatum hate. I think he is going to be smooth good, maybe as good as Paul George.

I can't believe anybody is going to waste a 1st round pick on Giles. He will never average more than 3pts a game in the NBA. Mark it down. He's gonna need to earn his coin overseas after his first contract here. He blows. Feel bad for him, but he blows.

I think a lot of the bigs in this draft are going to be trash. Maybe there is a Myles Turner hidden in there somewhere, but I don't see it yet on limited viewing. Zach Collins will be an NBA journeyman, a quality backup in the Scottie Pollard mold. That's it.

My humble opines

I agree with basically all of this other than thinking DSJ will blow his knee out again, that Frank Jackson is any good at all, and probably think Ball is going to be even worse than you do. I think he's Shaun Livingston.

I spent last night reading the last 3-4 years of NBA Draft/Offseason threads... The only takeaway is that we are ALL idiots (including myself).

I was hoping to find a few people who had consistently astute opinions on who would be good from the NBA Draft and where free agents would go (and why)... There was nobody.

It was comically bad. Too many examples to even gather and repost.

So just enjoy it for what it is.

yeah i'm sure this is right but i'd bet people are more often right when they're confident someone will suck than when they're confident they'll be good because right before the draft a lot of the dudes reach the crescendo of their hype and prospects as a group are generally overrated. i guess every year all the top 10 picks are getting comped to perennial NBA all stars and even late FRPs are getting comped to above average starters.

Plus it would be tough to play Mitchell and Kemba together, that backcourt would get posted up routinely. We already have MKG as a strong defender who can't shoot; Mitchell can shoot better than MKG obviously, but I don't think he'll ever light it up at the NBA level. I do like Kennard more than Mitchell, he may never be a starter but he can fill the Jeremy Lin 6th man offensive spark plug role nicely that they so desperately needed last season. But I would still love JC at that pick, post scoring bigs are so rare these days, he would be great next to Zeller and a complete change of pace from Frank.

And yes, the Hornets need to jump all over this.

Not a take on who's better, but i think Mitchell could play next to Kemba better than Russell. Not ideal height bit he's long and good at defense, should be a good defensive guard against 1s and 2s, and he's a great cutter that doesn't need the ball on offense and I think Mitchell will be a good open 3 pt shooter. Russell and Kemba both need ball in their hands and Russell would be more of a defensive liability with Kemba imo.

Yes, if they are together, but I think they would bring Russell off the bench in that scenario. I don't know if Russell would like that too much, but not his decision. But you are right, late game could get dicey defensively if both were on the floor together, unless MKG and Cody can make up for a whole lot.

The best the Hornets can hope for over the next couple of years is to be #6 in the East.

Back