• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

Fuck Your Couch

Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-early-entry-list

For all your JC projections and/or general NBA draft news/discussion.

DraftExpress and ESPN both updated their big boards today.

DraftExpress has JC up 4 spots to #15

Chad Ford has JC up 6 spots to #18

It has taken until pick No. 18 to finally have a non-freshman (or age equivalent) on our Big Board. That says something about the strength of this year's freshman class.

Collins remains one of the most efficient players in college basketball. With his size and athletic ability it's pretty easy to get excited about what he has to offer -- especially when you factor in that he's a very young sophomore (he doesn't turn 20 until September).

Scouts want to see him show more range on his jump shot so that he can be more of a modern 4 in the NBA. But all the other tools are there.

in other news Giles has tumbled to #25 on DraftExpress, but holding strong at #13 for Ford.

Last edited:
Related question -- JC is "officially" listed at 6'10, but what do we think he "actually" is? 6'8? 6'9? Based on my highly scientific and bulletproof "Based purely from watching him on TV and on The Ocho telecasts on my iPad" method, he certainly doesn't look 6'10. But again...I have no objective or scientific basis for saying so. Maybe it's the short shorts?

He looks 6-10. I don't see any reason to think he isn't.

Yeah, he's blocking shots half way up the glass on quick jumps effortlessly. I remember the musings on here last year that he came in frosh year a good 2 inches taller that when he was being recruited. He was taller than Danny Manning and a few inches (only) shorter than Doral Moore). He seems to be a strong at 6'10." Again, when we were recruiting, he was as a 6'8" PF.

Kennard up to #20 on Draft Express. Good, get that guy out of there.

Yeah, he's blocking shots half way up the glass on quick jumps effortlessly. I remember the musings on here last year that he came in frosh year a good 2 inches taller that when he was being recruited. He was taller than Danny Manning and a few inches (only) shorter than Doral Moore). He seems to be a strong at 6'10." Again, when we were recruiting, he was as a 6'8" PF.
Maybe that's it, then. Residual data point stuck in my brain space.

Here’s what ESPN’s entire big board looks like now:

1. Markelle Fultz

2. Lonzo Ball

3. Josh Jackson

4. Dennis Smith

5. Jonathan Isaac

6. Malik Monk

7. Lauri Markkanen

8. Jayson Tatum

9. De'Aaron Fox

10. Miles Bridges

11. Frank Ntilikina

12. Robert Williams

13. Harry Giles

14. Zach Collins

15. Justin Patton

16. Jarrett Allen

17. T.J. Leaf

18. John Collins

Wasn't he as tall as Danny, or slightly taller, in the team picture published earlier in the season? I'm guessing he's 6' 10" as well. But he plays like a 7' 1" guy with a huge wingspan due to his ability to quick jump out of the gym. I don't see why pros would want to make him into a modern 4 when he has the ability to be an old school 5 with range and quickness to dominate other centers a variety of ways. Not to mention his ability to out-jump other C's for rebounds, tips and put-backs.

Not saying he can't become a versatile 4, but what's the point of that when there seem to be fewer traditional back to the basket big men coming into the NBA. Why not dominate like Timmy did for 10 years as a quicker, skilled hybrid C?? Cuz let's be honest, after D-Rob retired, Tim was essentially the Spurs' C playing against the other team's biggest player including Shaq and Zo. I know the modern definitions of 4 and 5 are different, but I think JC's best bet to be a star in the NBA is to continue to hone his back to the basket moves to compliment his face up ability to jab step and pop, or explode past a slower defender in tight spaces.

So JC, start working on your pocket bounce-passes and perfect your jump hook and no one will ever be able to stop you at the pro level. Especially when you add another 10-15 lbs of muscle. Shit.

Miami needs a PF. I wonder if he gets past them at #14.

11. Chicago Bulls Select De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
12. Charlotte Hornets Select Miles Bridges, SF/PF, Michigan State
13. Milwaukee Bucks Select Ivan Rabb, PF, California
14. Miami Heat Select John Collins, PF, Wake Forest
15. Denver Nuggets Select Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Germany
16. Detroit Pistons Select T.J. Leaf, PF, UCLA
17. Indiana Pacers Select Johnathan Motley, PF, Baylor
18. Chicago Bulls Select Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina
19. Atlanta Hawks Select Justin Patton, C, Creighton
20. Oklahoma City Thunder Select Donovan Mitchell, SG, Louisville
21. Portland Trail Blazers Select John Collins
22. Los Angeles Clippers Select Harry Giles, PF, Duke

"Heavy" has John Collins listed twice?

11. Chicago Bulls Select De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
12. Charlotte Hornets Select Miles Bridges, SF/PF, Michigan State
13. Milwaukee Bucks Select Ivan Rabb, PF, California
14. Miami Heat Select John Collins, PF, Wake Forest
15. Denver Nuggets Select Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Germany
16. Detroit Pistons Select T.J. Leaf, PF, UCLA
17. Indiana Pacers Select Johnathan Motley, PF, Baylor
18. Chicago Bulls Select Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina
19. Atlanta Hawks Select Justin Patton, C, Creighton
20. Oklahoma City Thunder Select Donovan Mitchell, SG, Louisville
21. Portland Trail Blazers Select John Collins
22. Los Angeles Clippers Select Harry Giles, PF, Duke

"Heavy" has John Collins listed twice?

One where he deserves to go, and one just to spite HGIII.

Didn't that dude go to Wake? Maybe he is just doing his part to plant some seeds of doubt to help convince JC to come back.

Evan Daniels used to regularly post on Scout Premium.

yeah he took over for Dave Telep as main bball hs scout on Scout after Telep got hired by the Spurs.

Back