• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

I think Miami will regret not taking JC. I don't really understand them drafting Bam unless they essentially drafted him to be backup Whiteside and plan on playing JJ 30 minutes per game at the 4. I liked who Miami had as a backup 5 last year. Cannot think of his name but he was productive the games Whiteside missed. Whiteside seems a perfect 5 if teamed up with a guy who can hit 12-18 foot jumpers. Bam seemed more an insider banger in the same vein as Whiteside.

I have to assume that Pat Riley knows a little more than me about basketball, but I just don't get it.

Obviously Bam is a better outside shooter compared to JC, at least according to the Charlotte Observer based on their Hornets workouts.

According to the Observer:
“Adebayo, who missed his only 3-pointer in his single college season, swished 13 of 25 attempts in that drill.”

Compare that to JC's workout:
“That starts with his outside stroke. Collins attempted just one 3-pointer in his college career – a miss – and he was off on 12 of his 25 outside shots to end Friday’s workout.”

That outside shooting was the differentiator, at least according to the Observer:
2. Bam Adebayo, Kentucky: He has a muscular physique similar to that of eight-time All-Star Dwight Howard. Showed surprising shooting range in workouts.
3. John Collins, Wake Forest: He averaged nearly 20 points and 10 rebounds last season for the Deacons. Needs to show he can make 3-pointers to fit most NBA offenses.

I love when sarcasdeac lives up to his handle.

I thought JC should be top 15 but 19 is close enough. It was a smart move to go to the NBA this year.

We have cornered the market on master swimmers from the VI.

Came to this thread to remember how we were discussing the Collins departure... Stumbled upon some #hottakes that look pretty terrible (and some that are pretty solid) just one year later. And this is just the first 10 pages.

Yeah, I know this is gonna be a shocker, but I was not impressed with some of the top guys in the McDs game last night. Porter, Duval and Bamba look like nice prospects, but I don't know if any of them are franchise guys. Don't really get the Ayton buzz.

What do y'all think about Jayson Tatum as an NBA prospect?

He will be good but not perennial all-star good.

He's the most ready of the Top 6-8 players. Barring a Duke regression, he should be a star for many years to come. K did not use him well at all.

His numbers as a freshman in the ACC compare well to the soph numbers of Paul George in the WAC. Trouble finding another comp.

he'll good be for 14 ppg on low % shooting. doesn't have a good handle, not a playmaker at all. has good length, decent defender. meh.

Simmons just got paid for a year for doing absolutely nothing, after dogging it for a year at LSU. I think anyone expecting him to come in and be a long-term team cornerstone is setting expectations way to high. He has Lamar Odom written all over him. Draft as if he isn't there and if both guys work out and happen to conflict in terms of position, then it is a good problem to have and you are paying the coach to manage it.

Next 10 pages:

In discussing a player being a bust... Someone used Greg Oden as the posterboy of being a bust:
I think we're at the point where the appropriate label is now the next Joel Embiid.

Donovan Mitchell is the sucker's bet of this draft. He's a nice 8th/9th man, but he can't threes yet.

Conventional wisdom would say so but I think Kennard will have a nice career as a bench scorer/role player and Taytum will be a complete bust

In response to someone posting that the Hornets upside over the next few years was the #6 seed in the East:
About the same as the Sixers.

I was at lunch and ESPN's ticker had a mock draft showing the Hornets getting Malik Monk at #11. I almost jizzed on my plate.

Came to this thread to remember how we were discussing the Collins departure... Stumbled upon some #hottakes that look pretty terrible (and some that are pretty solid) just one year later. And this is just the first 10 pages.

My takeaway here is to listen to Townie and RJ and ignore Ayo and Leyritz when it comes to NBA projections.

I wish I was included in this summary as I too felt like Tatum was going to be a stud day 1

edited to add: Whoops, spoke too soon. New takeaway is that RJ and Townie should have stopped posting after the inital 10 pages - quite while ahead (retroactively).

Last edited:
I am of the opine that Ball is this generation's Melo Anthony - a top 20 player who won't ever even sniff a championship and will be dissed by fans his entire career, a poor man's Jason Kidd.

I like in this draft, meaning great value for pick spot - Tatum, Kennard, John Collins, Adebayo, Markannen, Frank Jackson, Josh Hart, and Tom Bradley. I think there are going to be some fine NBA players picked in the 2nd round. There is a lot of depth in this draft.

I think Dennis Smith is going to be good for a few years then blow out his knee again and suck. I keep seeing Stevie Francis. Don't get the Tatum hate. I think he is going to be smooth good, maybe as good as Paul George.

I can't believe anybody is going to waste a 1st round pick on Giles. He will never average more than 3pts a game in the NBA. Mark it down. He's gonna need to earn his coin overseas after his first contract here. He blows. Feel bad for him, but he blows.

I think a lot of the bigs in this draft are going to be trash. Maybe there is a Myles Turner hidden in there somewhere, but I don't see it yet on limited viewing. Zach Collins will be an NBA journeyman, a quality backup in the Scottie Pollard mold. That's it.

My humble opines

I'll give you some love... This was actually pretty good.

Hmmm...of the Top 6-8 players drafted in 2017, Tatum did end up being the most NBA ready.

JC would have been a much better pick for Miami than Bam.

Near the end of the thread I also mentioned the 18's draft would have more bigs than 17. That was also dead on.

Last edited:
I'll give you some love... This was actually pretty good.

My God. It really was. Some years I am really awful at this.

This year, if you have the #2 pick and you DON'T either take Bagley or trade it for comparable value, I think you are making a mistake. I honestly haven't seen enough of Ayton to really have a strong opinion, but those who see him are so sure he's an NBA stud I am not going to argue him going #1, but when a kid comes in with an NBA game and body (think Tatum), and he falls down the board ahead of Euros and various high ceiling / low floor guys, I don't get it. Marvin Bagley essentially dominated games as a college freshman while playing a college game he is less equipped to excel in than the pro game. If you don't take him #2, you are going to look the fool by about game 40 next year.

Hmmm...of the Top 6-8 players drafted in 2017, Tatum did end up being the most NBA ready.

Near the end of the thread I also mentioned the 18's draft would have more bigs than 17. That was also dead on.

To say you were a bit off on Don Mitchell is to say Jeffrey Dahmer was a bit off in social situations. While technically Dahmer was ackward in social situations, that summation fails to capture the full Dahmer.

That being said, I think about 99% of pundits were not expecting Don Mitchell to be anything more than a #8/9 man in the rotation rookie year at least. Certainly nobody expected him to have the best numbers of anybody drafted last year and leading a team in the playoffs as the #1 option. Crazy. I certainly didn't list him in my "best value for the draft position" list ...

Last edited:
Doncic is different in that I don't ever remember a player that young having done as much in the best league in Europe before being drafted.

To me Young is a crapshoot. Are you getting the first half of the season Young? Or the second half of the season Young? If he ends up on a crappy team, he could up being a gunner who scores a lot and creates a lot of TOs.

The most intriguing player in the draft is G-A from KY. No one has shot up the draft as he has over the second half of the season. He was clearly KY's best player and was often dominant. My biggest question is about his passing. It was hit and miss, but a lot of that had to do with his teammates not moving well and not being ready for his passes.

It will be interesting to see if Divencenzo and/or Spellman stay in the draft.

Doncic is different in that I don't ever remember a player that young having done as much in the best league in Europe before being drafted.

To me Young is a crapshoot. Are you getting the first half of the season Young? Or the second half of the season Young? If he ends up on a crappy team, he could up being a gunner who scores a lot and creates a lot of TOs.

The most intriguing player in the draft is G-A from KY. No one has shot up the draft as he has over the second half of the season. He was clearly KY's best player and was often dominant. My biggest question is about his passing. It was hit and miss, but a lot of that had to do with his teammates not moving well and not being ready for his passes.

It will be interesting to see if Divencenzo and/or Spellman stay in the draft.

I love Divencinzo, but he is essentially Tyler Johnson isn't he? With a full mouth of teeth?

I think Miami is very happy with Bam, and would still take him over JC.

I love Divencinzo, but he is essentially Tyler Johnson isn't he? With a full mouth of teeth?

He seems a tad more athletic than Tyler, but a good comp I think. Tyler Johnson is a pretty solid role player.

I really like Zhaire and everything I have read/seen on him. More risk but a higher upside wing than the two Bridges I think

Back