• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grading the season

Did the Deacs lose any games we were favored to win?

"Did the Deacs lose any games we were favored to win?"

How about a real measurement...did the Deacs lose any games in which they led well into the second half? Did the Deacs lose any games in which they were ahead in the last 90 seconds?

If you didn't do very well in the above then you cant get an A

MW would be all world if he were 6-4. He can't play d because they shoot right over him unless he is under the chin, and that is tough to do.

SAm - I agree wit RJ, he has great hands and feet, and needs to lose the baby fat.

Moore, must just struggle between the ears, always makes the same mistakes. Bringing his arms down. Has to get stronger so he can keep his position.

We are close if Collins would stay. He sucks so bad on defense that he may.

Last night we got beat by a worse team. Pathetic that we lost that game. The same thing shows up every loss. We can't guard big guards. We need a lock down 2 or 3. I love woods but he is a 6th man. He and Dinos got exposed last night and Collins showed he is still a boy physically. He got dogged by a muscle bound DII talent. 8-9 from the field.

DM gets a C because we simply got punked last night by an inferior team. Period! No fucking excuse.

Giving Manning an A is an absolute joke

Would you have given Tony Bennett an A in his third season at UVA? Most UVA fans I know would have.

People want to penalize Manning because this team didn't reach its ceiling but refuse to give him credit for raising that ceiling in the first place.

Grading against reasonable expectations at the start of the year Manning gets at worst a B.

Would you have given Tony Bennett an A in his third season at UVA? Most UVA fans I know would have.

People want to penalize Manning because this team didn't reach its ceiling but refuse to give him credit for raising that ceiling in the first place.

Grading against reasonable expectations at the start of the year Manning gets at worst a B.

Yeah, there's a big difference in grading against preseason expectations (what I am doing), vs grading against all-time Wake team/player performance, which is what a lot of people seem to be doing.

Did the Deacs lose any games we were favored to win?

"Did the Deacs lose any games we were favored to win?"

How about a real measurement...did the Deacs lose any games in which they led well into the second half? Did the Deacs lose any games in which they were ahead in the last 90 seconds?

If you didn't do very well in the above then you cant get an A

Both of those measures are shitty ways to grade a coach (though the second one is way shittier).

A coach should be graded on results compared to reasonable expectations.

The following statements are all true:

1. Manning exceeded all expectations for this season and for year 3 of this rebuild.
2. Manning needs to continue to improve to get us where we want to be.
3. This team did not reach its full potential.

Only the first is relevant to grading Manning on this season.

You have to grade on how the team did versus expectations. A few of us said before the season that we would get abused on this wings this season and that we didn't have many good defenders. But we did have scorers. A good coach plays to the strength of his team even if looks bad to some.

This group was never going to be even a C defensive team. If tried to do this, our two best players would have been in perpetual foul trouble. However, we had players who could score and score in bunches.

Danny knew a lot of people would get on him for going all offense, but he did. He took a lot of crap for doing this, but it's what a leader does. And it worked.

One of the lowest rate teams in the ACC went .500 and was a Top 10 offense nationally.

No one is saying Danny had year like Izzo or Pitino or K would, but the Deacs outperformed any reasonable expectations.

I would have considered the season a success if we'd made it to 17 wins and an NIT invite, so I'd give Manning a high B+ for this season. Definitely some in game coaching mistakes along the way (Clemson and Duke games) but getting an NCAA tourney invite definitely exceeded my expectations.

I would have considered the season a success if we'd made it to 17 wins and an NIT invite, so I'd give Manning a high B+ for this season. Definitely some in game coaching mistakes along the way (Clemson and Duke games) but getting an NCAA tourney invite definitely exceeded my expectations.

This guy gets it.

MW would be all world if he were 6-4. He can't play d because they shoot right over him unless he is under the chin, and that is tough to do.

SAm - I agree wit RJ, he has great hands and feet, and needs to lose the baby fat.

Moore, must just struggle between the ears, always makes the same mistakes. Bringing his arms down. Has to get stronger so he can keep his position.

Last night we got beat by a worse team. Pathetic that we lost that game. The same thing shows up every loss. We can't guard big guards. We need a lock down 2 or 3. I love woods but he is a 6th man. He and Dinos got exposed last night and Collins showed he is still a boy physically. He got dogged by a muscle bound DII talent. 8-9 from the field.

DM gets a C because we simply got punked last night by an inferior team. Period! No fucking excuse.

Because we don't have players to do that.

To give a coach C for the season for losing a game that no expert thought we'd ever play this season is ludicrous.

Last edited:

I am in this boat as well. Picked the same number of wins and thought we would be in NIT...so this season was gravy.

And 9-9 in this ACC was totally beyond my expectations.

Some of you guys must be just miserable people and are just sour all the time.

Look, Manning had some coaching mistakes early in the season but he turned this team around after two HORRIBLE losses that could have sunk a team for the season. The coaching improved a lot over the season. I don't think anyone can (although some will) argue that, at LEAST the offense looked better. The players improved a lot also.

He needs to address the defense and IMO recruit more big men. Manning has been better than any of us expected and deserves patience at least. I am totally on board at this time.

Last edited:

This guy does not get it.

This guy does not get it.

We won 10 total ACC games and the expectation was 6-7. We made the big dance, and the expectation was the NIT. Out of nowhere, we had the 2nd highest rated player in the league. Our D was suspect and collapsed at the end of the year. Our offense was terrific. Overall grade of A-

B. As are reserved for teams that play well at the end of the year. We exceeded expectations.

We won 10 total ACC games and the expectation was 6-7. We made the big dance, and the expectation was the NIT. Out of nowhere, we had the 2nd highest rated player in the league. Our D was suspect and collapsed at the end of the year. Our offense was terrific. Overall grade of A-

This guy gets it.

Back