• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grading the season

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Here goes-

JC -A -The only reason it's not an A+ is his D. In the 45+ years I've been watching Wake bball, the only player who improved as much was Tim. I can't think of any other in the ACC. Offensively, he's off the charts.

Bryant - A (slightly lower than JC) - His game improved massively. He's a true leader. Down the stretch, he had four straight 20+ games and six of the last eight. Should improve on D with help from Chaundee. Here's something we should look at for next year. In the games he got 8+ FTA, he shot 90.7%. If he adds, a hesitation move breaks and drives, it shouldn't be hard to average close to that number next year. Along with Frank Jackson will be the best returning PG in the ACC.

Keyshawn - B He could be the ultimate 6th man. Can really shoot, was a leader, but his D is bad. But don't get too upset. If you think about, there are very, very few excellent shooters who play good D.

Austin - B See Keyshawn and add toughness. His fearlessness as a shooter gave the team confidence and was big in big games.

Sam- B This is the one that will surprise many of you. This year was effectively his senior year in HS. The kid seems to be a sponge and has a solid bball IQ. He rarely made the same mistake twice. His hands and feet are above average. He really needs to strengthen his hands. Don't be shocked to see a big improvement next year.

Dinos B/B- - He would have gotten a B if he kept his motor up. He gave up part of his game for the team. His D got better but still is sub-par. One thing he did really well was box out to allow the guards to get rebounds which really helped our offense. He'll need to step it up next year.

Brandon B/B- His D really improved over the season. He needs to develop a stop and shoot a 5'-7' pull up J rather than driving and getting smacked down. He played really hard, but needs to learn to play different tempos. He was a solid back-up.

Mitchell - C His D is terrible but he tries very hard. He has a great bball IQ but not that much talent. Stop driving! It will be interesting to see how he takes to losing a lot of PT next year.

Doral - C Had a few moments but didn't seem to improve. Next years makes or breaks his career.

Greg C It was interesting to see him play down the stretch. He was never the same player after his injury. You have to give him credit for not giving up and doing the right things.

Other Frosh - I Neither Wash nor Donovan played enough to know much of anything about them.

Danny A- No expert in the country had us going 9-9 in the outrageously strong ACC. No expert has us making the NCAAT. This alone gets Danny to a B or above. The monumental improvement of JC elevates the grade. As does the improvement of Bryant. Taking a band of non-Top 75 players and creating a Top 10 offense is also extraordinary. We could have been marginally better on D, but not much. we simply didn't have the players. No, desire and hard play will never make it possible for Keyshawn, Mitchell or Austin to cover one of the army of plus to star wings in the ACC. You can dream that it would, but no coach could get Austin to cover Tatum or Mitchell to cover XRM.

Team A- Would have been an A with a win last night. These guys played their asses off. They got more out of their talent than any expert saw coming. They played to and above their talents and were a team. That's the best thing you can say about a team.

Good god you're an idiot and an insanely easy grader.

I give Manning credit for taking Wake basketball from an F to a C- in 3 years. That's not easy. Must keep getting better.

Wellman on the other hand has us at a C- after 26 years and is proud of it. He must go so someone else can evaluate Manning after year 5 and make long term facility decisions for our school.

I give Manning credit for taking Wake basketball from an F to a C- in 3 years. That's not easy. Must keep getting better.

Wellman on the other hand has us at a C- after 26 years and is proud of it. He must go so someone else can evaluate Manning after year 5 and make long term facility decisions for our school.

I was far from a Wellman fan during the Bzzz era, but the reality is men's sports as a whole are probably in the best shape they have ever been in (see below), and the facility improvements over last few years have been amazing. Credit where credit is due.

Football won bowl game
Basketball in tourney
Soccer a kick away from national title
Tennis #1 in country
Baseball borderline top 25
Golf borderline top 10

John Collins = A
Bryant Crawford = B+
Keyshawn Woods = B
Austin Arians = B-
Sam Japhet-Mathias = D
Dinos = B-
Brandon Childress = C
Mitchell Wilbekin = C
Doral Moore = D
Greg McClinton = D
Rich Washington = D
Donovan Mitchell = D
Danny Manning = C+
Team Offense = B+
Team Defense = C-

Here goes-

JC -A -The only reason it's not an A+ is his D. In the 45+ years I've been watching Wake bball, the only player who improved as much was Tim. I can't think of any other in the ACC. Offensively, he's off the charts.

Bryant - A (slightly lower than JC) - His game improved massively. He's a true leader. Down the stretch, he had four straight 20+ games and six of the last eight. Should improve on D with help from Chaundee. Here's something we should look at for next year. In the games he got 8+ FTA, he shot 90.7%. If he adds, a hesitation move breaks and drives, it shouldn't be hard to average close to that number next year. Along with Frank Jackson will be the best returning PG in the ACC.

Keyshawn - B He could be the ultimate 6th man. Can really shoot, was a leader, but his D is bad. But don't get too upset. If you think about, there are very, very few excellent shooters who play good D.

Austin - B See Keyshawn and add toughness. His fearlessness as a shooter gave the team confidence and was big in big games.

Sam- B This is the one that will surprise many of you. This year was effectively his senior year in HS. The kid seems to be a sponge and has a solid bball IQ. He rarely made the same mistake twice. His hands and feet are above average. He really needs to strengthen his hands. Don't be shocked to see a big improvement next year.

Dinos B/B- - He would have gotten a B if he kept his motor up. He gave up part of his game for the team. His D got better but still is sub-par. One thing he did really well was box out to allow the guards to get rebounds which really helped our offense. He'll need to step it up next year.

Brandon B/B- His D really improved over the season. He needs to develop a stop and shoot a 5'-7' pull up J rather than driving and getting smacked down. He played really hard, but needs to learn to play different tempos. He was a solid back-up.

Mitchell - C His D is terrible but he tries very hard. He has a great bball IQ but not that much talent. Stop driving! It will be interesting to see how he takes to losing a lot of PT next year.

Doral - C Had a few moments but didn't seem to improve. Next years makes or breaks his career.

Greg C It was interesting to see him play down the stretch. He was never the same player after his injury. You have to give him credit for not giving up and doing the right things.

Other Frosh - I Neither Wash nor Donovan played enough to know much of anything about them.

Danny A- No expert in the country had us going 9-9 in the outrageously strong ACC. No expert has us making the NCAAT. This alone gets Danny to a B or above. The monumental improvement of JC elevates the grade. As does the improvement of Bryant. Taking a band of non-Top 75 players and creating a Top 10 offense is also extraordinary. We could have been marginally better on D, but not much. we simply didn't have the players. No, desire and hard play will never make it possible for Keyshawn, Mitchell or Austin to cover one of the army of plus to star wings in the ACC. You can dream that it would, but no coach could get Austin to cover Tatum or Mitchell to cover XRM.

Team A- Would have been an A with a win last night. These guys played their asses off. They got more out of their talent than any expert saw coming. They played to and above their talents and were a team. That's the best thing you can say about a team.

Pretty close to what I saw.

Usual miserable fan base suspects -A
Inability to understand basketball under current rules and the NBA-A
Usual fans think you get blood out of a turnip-A
Inability to understand better players solve everything-A

In related news, rj has been hired as UNC's new professor of ethics

Based on my preseason expectations:

John Collins = A
Bryant Crawford = A-
Keyshawn Woods = B+
Austin Arians = B
Sam Japhet-Mathias = C
Dinos = C+
Brandon Childress = B
Mitchell Wilbekin = C+
Doral Moore = D
Greg McClinton = C
Danny Manning = B+

Team Offense = A
Team Defense = C-

Seriously RJ...Danny is a C though a solid C.

Danny gets an A only if the following happen:

Beat Duke once...Beat Clemson once...Beat Cuse...8th place or above in ACC...NCAA round of 32

If you were a Prof at Wake I would have absolutely taken every class you taught.

Shake, we were 2-16 in the ACC last year with a more experienced team. The ACC was much stronger this year and we were 9-9. Many experts said the ACC was as strong this year as it has been in decades.

We started one Top 100 player and reached in 9-9 in a league with tons of Top 40 and better players. Our offense was Top 10 with on Top 100 player getting major minutes.

We were picked to come in 13th, and some publications picked us lower, yet we were .500.

If you believe the computers, this group reached the Top 40.

Sorry, with the talent we had and the talent the ACC had, Danny had an excellent season.

Perhaps DM had an excellent season, but he certainly had a piss poor post season with the VT ACCT 2nd half collapse and last night's NCAAT play-in game debacle. :(

John Collins = A
Bryant Crawford = B+
Keyshawn Woods = B
Austin Arians = B-
Sam Japhet-Mathias = D
Dinos = B-
Brandon Childress = C
Mitchell Wilbekin = C
Doral Moore = D
Greg McClinton = D
Rich Washington = D
Donovan Mitchell = D
Danny Manning = C+
Team Offense = B+
Team Defense = C-

Team Offense is a B+? Our offense is ranked 6th in the country.

Josh Pastner's team outperforms its preseason ranking by ~30 spots = ACC coach of the year

Manning's team outperforms its preseason ranking by ~45 spots = C+

seh6p.gif

Last night was a shitty way to end the season but some of y'all are truly fucking miserable.

Seriously RJ...Danny is a C though a solid C.

Danny gets an A only if the following happen:

Beat Duke once...Beat Clemson once...Beat Cuse...8th place or above in ACC...NCAA round of 32

If you were a Prof at Wake I would have absolutely taken every class you taught.

That's 21-9 (12-6), 5 seed in the ACCT, 5-6 seed in the NCAAT. That's an A+ given preseason expectations and what he took over.

Manning gets a solid B from me this year but only because my expectations were higher than most coming into the season.

Ok for the sake of re grading the paper a C+

Grading a season has nothing to do way last year. I made an F in Spanish as a soph...retook as a junior and made a C-. With your logic I should have been given a A.

I have high hopes for Wake basketball. If you give DM an A this year what the hell does he get when he has a year where we sniff the top 10 and actually make the sweet 16? Giving him an A for this offered no upside and that my issue with our fan base now. We celebrate the ordinary.

For you RC if Danny would have hit the metrics I described and you quantified we could argue about an A or A+...would be a great discussion to have.

I like DM a lot but the jury is still out.

Ok for the sake of re grading the paper a C+

Grading a season has nothing to do way last year. I made an F in Spanish as a soph...retook as a junior and made a C-. With your logic I should have been given a A.

I have high hopes for Wake basketball. If you give DM an A this year what the hell does he get when he has a year where we sniff the top 10 and actually make the sweet 16? Giving him an A for this offered no upside and that my issue with our fan base now. We celebrate the ordinary.

For you RC if Danny would have hit the metrics I described and you quantified we could argue about an A or A+...would be a great discussion to have.

I like DM a lot but the jury is still out.

It's stupid to grade each Manning season, or Manning's entire body of work against the ideal standard for Wake Forest Basketball (which is basically to join the blue bloods). Expectations mean something.

Manning took over the equivalent of an F in football physics. He's now getting A's in 200 level classes. Is he on his way to a PH.D? Too soon to say, though the future is much brighter than when he took over and the speed of the turnaround has been pretty fucking remarkable.

Back