• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins named 2nd Team All-American

Curious as to which All-American team holds more currency- the AP which voted JC as 3rd Team or Basketball Times that lists him as 1st Team?

I could see a situation similar to CP3 if Collins leaves this year. I mean he would have to kill it in the league for a few years to have that chance though. No question it hangs if he returns for a JR year though.

I really cant believe how low our standards are for jersey retirement. It is a little ridiculous. And I don't think what someone does in "the league" should have anything to do with it. It is possible he would do enough if he comes back but I don't think it is 'no question'.

I really cant believe how low our standards are for jersey retirement. It is a little ridiculous. And I don't think what someone does in "the league" should have anything to do with it. It is possible he would do enough if he comes back but I don't think it is 'no question'.

You either have to change standards or quit doing it since the NBA wrecked college basketball.

I could see a situation similar to CP3 if Collins leaves this year. I mean he would have to kill it in the league for a few years to have that chance though. No question it hangs if he returns for a JR year though.

Nah.

Chris was ACC freshman of the year, First team all-American, made a sweet 16, and won 48 games (which along with Charlie Davis is the least of anyone in the rafters).

JC has won 30 games and made the first 4. He also wasn't a huge factor his freshman year. I do think he's up there if he stays next year.

Prior to Wellman the standard was winning ACC player of the year.

Since this is coming up again, here is my post from the other thread.

Wake does not have set standards to retire jerseys. But Wake has retired the jerseys of every Deac who has been named ACC player of the year. That accounts for 7 of the 11 jerseys in the rafters. Some of those achieved National player of the year honors as well.

The four who did not win ACC player of the year were Randolph Childress, Skip Brown, Muggsy Bogues and Chris Paul.

Childress won ACC tournament MVP in 1995, 2nd team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and was named ACC male athlete of the year.

Skip Brown was a 4th team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and led Wake to an Elite Eight Appearance.

Muggsy Bogues was 1st team All ACC once, won the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award and finished as the ACC career leader in assists and steals.

Chris Paul was 1st team All American once, 1st team All ACC once, 3rd team All ACC once, ACC Rookie of the Year and led the Deacons to their first ever #1 ranking in the Polls.

Last edited:
Curious as to which All-American team holds more currency- the AP which voted JC as 3rd Team or Basketball Times that lists him as 1st Team?

The AP holds more currency. The Basketball Times has Collins as a 2nd team All-American.

The NCAA recognizes consensus All-Americans. Here's how they're determined according to Wikipedia.

"While an increasing number of media outlets select All-America teams, the NCAA recognizes consensus All-America teams back to 1905. These teams have drawn from two to six major media sources over the years, and are intended to reflect the opinions of most college basketball experts. Today the four teams used to select consensus teams are: the Associated Press, The National Association of Basketball Coaches, the United States Basketball Writers Association and Sporting News magazine. Since 1984, the NCAA has applied a standardized point system to those teams designated as "major" All-American teams to determine consensus teams. The point system consists of three points for first team, two points for second team and one point for third team. No honorable mention or fourth team or lower are used in the computation. The top five totals plus ties are first team and the next five plus ties are second team."

Prior to Wellman the standard was winning ACC player of the year.

Since this is coming up again, here is my post from the other thread.

Wake does not have set standards to retire jerseys. But Wake has retired the jerseys of every Deac who has been named ACC player of the year. That accounts for 7 of the 11 jerseys in the rafters. Some of those achieved National player of the year honors as well.

The four who did not win ACC player of the year were Randolph Childress, Skip Brown, Muggsy Bogues and Chris Paul.

Childress won ACC tournament MVP in 1995, 2nd team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and was named ACC male athlete of the year.

Skip Brown was a 4th team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and led Wake to an Elite Eight Appearance.

Muggsy Bogues was 1st team All ACC once, won the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award and finished as the ACC career leader in assists and steals.

Chris Paul was 1st team All American once, 1st team All ACC once, 3rd team All ACC once, ACC Rookie of the Year and led the Deacons to their first ever #1 ranking in the Polls.

Childress' jersey was retired at his last home game his senior year before he was ACCT MVP, 2nd team All-American, ACC male athlete of the year, and before he named to his second 1st team All-ACC.

Is there a reason Frank Johnson's number is not in the rafters? He was awesome.

Childress' jersey was retired at his last home game his senior year before he was ACCT MVP, 2nd team All-American, ACC male athlete of the year, and before he named to his second 1st team All-ACC.

True, but other than than Tournament MVP the regular season he had just completed made a lot of those honors safe to assume.

Chill was immortalized in Wake lore when he threw the gum in Cameron after nailing that 3 over Grant Hill in 94. He was immortalized in ACC lore in the 95 tourney.

Wake either has the most or almost the most retired jerseys in the ACC. Does that make sense to anyone?

Do we have "honored" jerseys? I would assume most big programs have switched to that system.

Wake either has the most or almost the most retired jerseys in the ACC. Does that make sense to anyone?

1200px-Smith_Center_jerseys_updated.jpg

cameron-jerseys.jpg

Yeah, Duncan's the only one that has to be up there, but at least we don't do the "honored" vs "retired" crap that a bunch of other teams do.

I do think we should set some criteria though.

UNC does the "honored" jersey thing - they don't have that many that are actually retired... I believe they have a set criteria system for both levels.
Duke does have quite a few but then they have had a bunch of national players of the year so it makes a little more sense.

Back