• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins named 2nd Team All-American

They need to open up the numbers to include 6 through 9

Is there a reason Frank Johnson's number is not in the rafters? He was awesome.

We have a bit of a problem there since he and Bogues wore the same number (i.e. if it was decided to retire his number).

Frank was an All American (only one not in the rafters I believe), had the disadvantage of playing while Isiah Thomas was getting national attention.

He's all-time 8th in scoring, 2nd in steals, 6th in assists. 2nd highest total games played at Wake.

All I can say is in 1980 he wound up redshirting for a foot injury, when he came back in 1981 we made it to #5 in the country. Beat then #1 UVA in Winston, giving them their 2nd loss of the season in two days.

All I can think is he must have pissed off Hooks. Frank was an exceptionally popular player and would probably rank right up with CP3 as far as charisma on and off the court.

this has probably been mentioned before , but Fultz, Ben Simmons, and Dennis Smith all had great one and done years with the one little exception of winning games and making their teams better.

Doesn't matter. Got paid.

We have a bit of a problem there since he and Bogues wore the same number (i.e. if it was decided to retire his number).

Frank was an All American (only one not in the rafters I believe), had the disadvantage of playing while Isiah Thomas was getting national attention.

He's all-time 8th in scoring, 2nd in steals, 6th in assists. 2nd highest total games played at Wake.

All I can say is in 1980 he wound up redshirting for a foot injury, when he came back in 1981 we made it to #5 in the country. Beat then #1 UVA in Winston, giving them their 2nd loss of the season in two days.

All I can think is he must have pissed off Hooks. Frank was an exceptionally popular player and would probably rank right up with CP3 as far as charisma on and off the court.

Just make Muggsy's banner a scale section of Johnson's. Problem solved.

Prior to Wellman the standard was winning ACC player of the year.

Since this is coming up again, here is my post from the other thread.

Wake does not have set standards to retire jerseys. But Wake has retired the jerseys of every Deac who has been named ACC player of the year. That accounts for 7 of the 11 jerseys in the rafters. Some of those achieved National player of the year honors as well.

The four who did not win ACC player of the year were Randolph Childress, Skip Brown, Muggsy Bogues and Chris Paul.

Childress won ACC tournament MVP in 1995, 2nd team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and was named ACC male athlete of the year.

Skip Brown was a 4th team All-American, 1st team All ACC twice and led Wake to an Elite Eight Appearance.

Muggsy Bogues was 1st team All ACC once, won the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award and finished as the ACC career leader in assists and steals.

Chris Paul was 1st team All American once, 1st team All ACC once, 3rd team All ACC once, ACC Rookie of the Year and led the Deacons to their first ever #1 ranking in the Polls.

I'd be fine limiting it to Consensus First Team All American (Chappell, Duncan, Howard , Paul) or First and Second (add Hemric, Griffin, Rogers, Childress, Teague).

Teague and Collins are two of the best players in WFU history. They should be honored in some way.

Just make Muggsy's banner a scale section of Johnson's. Problem solved.

I like that. :)

I'd be fine limiting it to Consensus First Team All American (Chappell, Duncan, Howard , Paul) or First and Second (add Hemric, Griffin, Rogers, Childress, Teague).

The AA is a problem, in a different year JC would be higher up, I think. Outside of Duncan, Childress had the biggest impact on modern day Wake hoops. The team fell apart with RR on the team during Childress' redshirt year. When he came back in 93 we had a high powered team. When he drilled 6 straight 3's against UNC I think that launched him for the rest of his career.

Add to the fact that the 94 team, after RR, with Maktar being banned by the NCAA and Peral ruled ineligible but with this raw kid named Duncan and that team got to a 5 seed in the NCAA was nearly as remarkable as this year's team making the NCAAT.

I bet his 95 ACCT is probably the most mentioned ACCT performance during the tourney each year, that's a long time.

Not arguing about Childress being included but some arbitrary metrics, like the first one will never capture the value he had to the program. Just remember he wasn't even unanimous All ACCT team. Depending on national press to elevate you to that level is even more suspect due to regional bias.

Teague and Collins are two of the best players in WFU history. They should be honored in some way.

I don't think you get honored for being one of the best - you get honored for having one of the best careers. One great year does not a career make.

To me, in the era of one-and-dones, retiring jerseys should be a thing of the past - except for the rare case of the kid that stays 3 or 4 years and keeps developing...

Childress' jersey was retired at his last home game his senior year before he was ACCT MVP, 2nd team All-American, ACC male athlete of the year, and before he named to his second 1st team All-ACC.

Rodgers was the one that put WFU Basketball back on the map in the early 90's, but Childress is the face of WFU Basketball during the early to mid 90's.

Last edited:
I don't think you get honored for being one of the best - you get honored for having one of the best careers. One great year does not a career make.

To me, in the era of one-and-dones, retiring jerseys should be a thing of the past - except for the rare case of the kid that stays 3 or 4 years and keeps developing...

I think a player's jersey should be retired if they had a direct and prolonged effect on the program. Personally, the majority of the time I don't believe that 1 or even 2 great seasons should qualify for a player's jersey to be retired. IMO, an exception to the latter would be if a player, most likely a freshman or sophomore, led us an NCAA Final 4. For example, had Collins led us to a Final 4 this season and left for the NBA, then IMO even though it wasn't a prolonged effect it would have been an accomplishment that no WFU player in the "Modern Age" of CBB has done.

Last edited:
I think a player's jersey should be retired if they had a direct and prolonged effect on the program. Personally, the majority of the time I don't believe that 1 or even 2 great seasons should qualify for a player's jersey to be retired. IMO, an exception to the latter would be if a player, most likely a freshman or sophomore, led us an NCAA Final 4. For example, had Collins led us to a Final 4 this season and left for the NBA, then IMO even though it wasn't a prolonged effect it would have been an accomplishment that no WFU player in the "Modern Age" of CBB has done.

TITCR. Johnson, Teague, Aminu, Collins, etc. definitely HOF members. Guys like Duncan, Rodgers, Childress, Paul, etc. will forever be associated with Wake Forest and vice versa.

Frank Johnson sealed an at home victory against the Tarcheats his senior year with a nasty dunk. May have been the first and only of his career. Should be up in the rafters.

Honestly Johnson deserves to have his number retired way more than Bogues.

While I'm not going to argue that Johnson shouldn't have been honored with having his jersey retired (there is no reason why there can't be 2 #14's hanging) Bogues was a transcendent player. He was the only thing about Wake hoops worth watching from his sophomore to senior years.

Merely being a good or even a great player isn't enough. You have to be a great player and transcend the normal expectations of a great player. All of the Wake retired jerseys meet this criteria but players like Teague or even Collins don't, at least not yet for Collins.

Frank Johnson was 2nd team All American once, 1st team All ACC once, and 2nd team All ACC once.

I think Muggsy has the better argument based on his steals and assists records.

Frank Johnson sealed an at home victory against the Tarcheats his senior year with a nasty dunk. May have been the first and only of his career. Should be up in the rafters.

Not to be picky but I don't think this is correct. Maybe confusing it with Rusty's one and only dunk at the end of a victory - not sure if that was against UNC but I think it might have been. We lost to UNC at home Frankie's last year. I remember it because it was my freshman year and we were, I believe, undefeated and highly ranked at the time. Frankie came down the court at the beginning of the game and pulled up for a jumper from the top of the key and promptly shot a terrible airball. We went on to lose badly. We all figured Frankie had been celebrating our high ranking a little too much the night before.

Back