• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins named 2nd Team All-American

Rodgers was the one that put WFU Basketball back on the map in the early 90's, but Childress is the face of WFU Basketball during the early to mid 90's.

How many ACCT games did RR win? How many did Childress win? What was our record during Chill's redshirt year? How did we do as a 9 seed in the NCAAT that year? Sorry, RR was a highlight reel, but he made Wake relevant again, Chilldress put us back on the map and Duncan made us a force in CBB.

Not to be picky but I don't think this is correct. Maybe confusing it with Rusty's one and only dunk at the end of a victory - not sure if that was against UNC but I think it might have been. We lost to UNC at home Frankie's last year. I remember it because it was my freshman year and we were, I believe, undefeated and highly ranked at the time. Frankie came down the court at the beginning of the game and pulled up for a jumper from the top of the key and promptly shot a terrible airball. We went on to lose badly. We all figured Frankie had been celebrating our high ranking a little too much the night before.

Yep, we made it to #3 that week (up from #5). I remember the night rankings came out was pretty exciting time.

Frank Johnson was 2nd team All American once, 1st team All ACC once, and 2nd team All ACC once.

I think Muggsy has the better argument based on his steals and assists records.

Bogues was a 1st team All ACC once. Everybody else in our rafters made All-American status.

Last edited:
Frank Johnson sealed an at home victory against the Tarcheats his senior year with a nasty dunk. May have been the first and only of his career. Should be up in the rafters.

Rusty got his first dunk in his senior game blowout win vs the Holes so # 10 should definitely be raised into the rafters. ;-)

Not to be picky but I don't think this is correct. Maybe confusing it with Rusty's one and only dunk at the end of a victory - not sure if that was against UNC but I think it might have been. We lost to UNC at home Frankie's last year. I remember it because it was my freshman year and we were, I believe, undefeated and highly ranked at the time. Frankie came down the court at the beginning of the game and pulled up for a jumper from the top of the key and promptly shot a terrible airball. We went on to lose badly. We all figured Frankie had been celebrating our high ranking a little too much the night before.

Your memory is better than mine. It was in overtime against UVA which had Ralph Sampson at the time. Here is the article. I don't recall ever seeing him dunk before that game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/26/sports/wake-forest-upsets-virginia-in-overtime.html

Honestly Johnson deserves to have his number retired way more than Bogues.

That could (should) have retired both at the same time. Hollywood was a fun player to watch and we had some good years during his time here.

Rusty got his first dunk in his senior game blowout win vs the Holes so # 10 should definitely be raised into the rafters. ;-)

The most memorable game of Frank's senior year was a victory over Sampson and UVa at the Quanset Hut.

Was this thread about the Associated Press list, or the "Basketball Times" list?

Back