• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington Post Rips ACC, Jabs Wake

Kindof true.

And most ACC teams lost on physicality. Wake no exception.

Might have something to do with officiating in the ACC

This could be dead on. ACC officials made it impossible to play defense and stay on the floor. Apparently the ACC just decided to not play defense.

Officials need to get that shit fixed so games can become watchable again.

Ripping the ACC is just such low hanging fruit for journalists.

Almost like in a small sample size there are outliers from year to year. There is nothing similar at all between UVA and FSU except they share a conference affiliation. There's no rhyme or reason that they should both lose on the same weekend and get blown out. That doesn't make the ACC "weak". If you want to see how good the damn conference is then at least use a larger sample size in terms of OOC games against "Power 5" opponents throughout the course of the year.

I won't refute the notion that the ACC "underachieved" in the NCAA Tournament based on expected win totals, but to call the conference "overrated" is just the kind of garbage I would expect from hacks like Goodman and Kilgore.

What's the difference between the ACC this year and last year, when it sent 5 teams to the Sweet 16? Did "we" forget how to win?

I generally agree but I don't think conference affiliation is as inconsequential as you make it seem. The significant overlap in schedule that being in the same conference creates makes FSU and UVA's perceived value more closely linked than two teams picked at random.

If Maryland was still in the ACC, would this have been written? They're just a bunch of terp lovers.

Great post! The ACC officiating has got to change if anyone other than UNC/Duke expect to do well on a more consistent basis. Also, apart from the blue bloods, the winning teams seem to have older (more physically mature) and more experienced players throughout the lineup. Some of this players appear as developed as an NBA player in their 30s.

Funny how we got 7 teams in last year and advanced 6 teams to the Sweet 16 but in one year we need to change everything? Kentucky is all freshman and they happened to win. The ACC officials also officiate in about 3-6 other leagues and have the same parameters in each one so what you are saying doesn't matter. We even have joined up in a "consortium" with the Big East & their supervisor John Cahill. Plus many of these guys officiate games in the SEC, Big Ten and other leagues. So what you are saying holds no merit. We just had a bad tourney this year and last year had a good tourney.

"John Cahill, BIG EAST Supervisor of Officials, and Bryan Kersey, the ACC’s Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officiating, both former top NCAA referees, will manage officiating operations for the alliance, which brings together two of the strongest officiating programs in college basketball. In 2015-16, 32 referees associated with the BIG EAST and ACC were selected to work in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Careful, Reff. You might destroy their decades-long misconception that the ACC has its own officials.

I don't really care about "ACC" refs, but the quality of officiating has been so poor this season.

Nobody has any idea what a block/charge is, what a travel is, or anything else, and the referees have done an atrocious job with consistency throughout the course of the year.

That travel/charge last night from Berry was inexcusable to not be called something.

Before it became professional suicide to do so, several coaches put forth the proposition that the problem was officials, in search of the money, officiated too many games in too short a time.

College officiating sucks across the board. Not all the refs fault; They are overworked and underpaid and have no real accountability. The college game is also harder to officiate because there is a greater variance in skill level and players are less skilled in general so they foul more often. There is also way more variety in styles of play in college which makes consistency in officiating much more difficult.

They may have many problems. Being underpaid is not one of them.

I don't really care about "ACC" refs, but the quality of officiating has been so poor this season.

Nobody has any idea what a block/charge is, what a travel is, or anything else, and the referees have done an atrocious job with consistency throughout the course of the year.

That travel/charge last night from Berry was inexcusable to not be called something.

I agree they missed a call on that play last night. But what was missed was not a block or charge or travel on Berry, but a possible push by Arkansas that made Berry lose his balance. Check that out and see what you think? There is always that simple reply "call something" but if you don't see the entire play on the floor, like in the NW/Gonzaga non-goal tending call [or it happened so quick you didn't see the hand up thru the rim which happens a lot but not to the extent where the shot gets blocked like this], calls get missed. If you don't have the exact angle needed because they move so quickly, one official may have a block & the other one a charge [commonly called a "blarge" when both signals are given on the floor and a double foul has to be assessed unfortunately. But in the case of this Joel Berry play you say "something" has to be called so go back and look at the play and tell me what the "something" should be. I originally thought a charge when I saw it live. Thought a walk when I saw the 1st replay. Then thought a push on Arkansas later last night.

They may have many problems. Being underpaid is not one of them.

Depends on the league or leagues they are working. If working an ACC or Big East game, it is very very nice. But doing one in the Big South is very very low comparatively. Then there are those mid-majors that are in the middle. Most of these guys also have real jobs but during the week are doing 4-6 games.

I agree they missed a call on that play last night. But what was missed was not a block or charge or travel on Berry, but a possible push by Arkansas that made Berry lose his balance. Check that out and see what you think? There is always that simple reply "call something" but if you don't see the entire play on the floor, like in the NW/Gonzaga non-goal tending call [or it happened so quick you didn't see the hand up thru the rim which happens a lot but not to the extent where the shot gets blocked like this], calls get missed. If you don't have the exact angle needed because they move so quickly, one official may have a block & the other one a charge [commonly called a "blarge" when both signals are given on the floor and a double foul has to be assessed unfortunately. But in the case of this Joel Berry play you say "something" has to be called so go back and look at the play and tell me what the "something" should be. I originally thought a charge when I saw it live. Thought a walk when I saw the 1st replay. Then thought a push on Arkansas later last night.

in no way was it a push - http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...nsas-final-score-results-ncaa-tournament-2017

Calling out referees is low hanging fruit, too. :)

That said, I cuss a lot at refs while watching games, and I can't recall having worn out my 'fucks' and 'goddamn it's' quicker than I did this year while watching.

I still maintain they let 'em play in the B1G more than in any other league, more so relative to contact, and especially down low.

I don't' wanna go all BKF here, but lack of calls for traveling, including carries, is astonishing.

Who the hell pushed him?

The Wake at Clemson game this year was a pathetic one sided debacle by the officials.

TheReff just doesn't want to admit that the calls in the last minute of a game are different. Berry should have been called for a travel or charge.

There is an obvious difference between the style of officiating in the NCAA tournament and the regular ACC season this year. The difference between "letting them play" versus a much more tightly called game. I prefer the NCAA tournament style as it makes for a more entertaining game.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the problem is not the officials, but the way the game is played today. It has become impossible to officiate. Like anything in life, if you let someone get away with breaking the rules, they will continue to push the envelope to see how many more rules they can get away with breaking. That is what has happened with the game of basketball today. The players have gotten away with breaking so many rules for so long that it is impossible for three officials to maintain any semblance of control on the court. That is why it is easy to find so many plays where calls are missed. If the referees called every travel and every foul, the first half would take 4 hours to play...and would not get finished because neither team would have five players left who had not fouled out. I would say that players travel on at least 80% of possessions....and on 100% of drives to the basket. The referees only occasionally call a travel...which pisses off fans wen it is called on their team. The players know that travelling is going to be called so seldom during the flow of the game that they have no respect at all for the rule. Players are constantly shuffling their feet before and after dribbling and take 2 or even 3 extra steps on drives to the basket. If the referees called all of that, the game would be stopped all the time.

I would also say that....according to the rules....each player probably commits an average of 25 to 30 fouls in a game....maybe more. The game of basketball was designed for only incidental contact, but it has become so physical that it more resembles a wrestling match at many times. As the players have gotten bigger, stronger & faster...and are allowed to get away with almost unlimited illegal contact, the job of 3 referees has become impossible. Illegal contact fouls are being commited constantly all over the court. Defensive players inside are illegally pushing offensive players away from the basket and wrapping their arms around them to prevent them from getting the ball. At the same time, when that offensive player gets the ball, he is illegally backing into the defensive player while dribbling to try to push him closer to the basket. And offensive players' movement is being illegally impeded by defensive players' arms all over the court.

With players committing 30 fouls per game (not called fouls, of course, but true fouls according to the rules), it's like the same 3 referees are trying to officiate a game with 60 players, rather than 10 players....not to mention the non-stop travelling and carrying the ball.

This is the game today. Maybe throwing the rulebook out the window and just letting players do whatever the hell they want to do makes it more entertaining. That seems to be what many fans want to see. Personally, I think a game that has become out of control and impossible to officiate because the rules of the game are no longer relevant sucks. However, if you like a game with no rules and ridiculous amounts of illegal contact where physicality is all-important and skill & finesse can be overpowered by brute strength because the rules of the game are ignorred, that is your right. Just don't complain when that Frankenstein that you have created can no longer be controlled....because it is impossible for the referees to call even a tiny fraction of the illegal activity that is going on during a game today.

Last edited:
Back