• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington Post Rips ACC, Jabs Wake

It's pretty silly to say the the Big Ten is owning the tournament. If anyone, the Pac-12 and SEC are better positioned with better records than the Big Ten.

He clearly forgot to mention his alma mater laying an egg in ACCT and then losing at home in the NIT

Kindof true.

And most ACC teams lost on physicality. Wake no exception.

Might have something to do with officiating in the ACC

Great post! The ACC officiating has got to change if anyone other than UNC/Duke expect to do well on a more consistent basis. Also, apart from the blue bloods, the winning teams seem to have older (more physically mature) and more experienced players throughout the lineup. Some of this players appear as developed as an NBA player in their 30s.

Last edited:
Great post! The ACC officiating has got to change if anyone other than UNC/Duke expect to do well on a more consistent basis. Also, apart from the blue bloods, the winning teams seem to have older (more physically mature) and more experienced players throughout the lineup. Some of this players appear as developed as an NBA player in their 30s.

I have noticed this as well. UF was physically more developed and just looked stronger and older than UVA.

Nothing off-base about that article at all. The ACC embarrassed itself this weekend.

Dylan Ennis from Oregon is 25!

In 2017:

ACC is a football conference.

SEC is a basketball conference.

2018 will likely return to normalcy.

Nothing off-base about that article at all. The ACC embarrassed itself this weekend.

Agree on the embarrassment part, but I don't think a sample size of 8 games proves that everyone was wrong about the ACC all year long.

I'm surprised that only one ACC team made the second weekend, but Carolina (and maybe Louisville) were the only ACC teams that were truly contenders.

Agreed. The ACC was deep and deserved 10 bid. But there was only one true contender.

Duke was pre-season #1. Don't buy the revised assessment that they weren't a contender. 24 hours ago the dominant sentiment here was that Duke had an unfairly easy draw. Now they weren't a contender?

Also, FSU had the talent to be a contender; they have 2 lottery picks and at least a couple of other guys that will also play in the NBA. They beat Florida (and Duke and L'ville among others) during the season. No reason that FSU couldn't have been a contender given who is left in this field. In one and done format, you get skewed results (like the ACC going 4-9), and then people in retrospect clam the ACC wasn't that good and lacked contenders. No.

Sort of agree. I think the ACC needs to get their officiating under control. The officiating in the USC/Duke game was totally different than anything Duke had probably seen during the regular season.

Duke was pre-season #1. Don't buy the revised assessment that they weren't a contender. 24 hours ago the dominant sentiment here was that Duke had an unfairly easy draw. Now they weren't a contender?

Also, FSU had the talent to be a contender; they have 2 lottery picks and at least a couple of other guys that will also play in the NBA. They beat Florida (and Duke and L'ville among others) during the season. No reason that FSU couldn't have been a contender given who is left in this field. In one and done format, you get skewed results (like the ACC going 4-9), and then people in retrospect clam the ACC wasn't that good and lacked contenders. No.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing K apologists claiming they were never contenders and were lucky to be where they were. They were pre-season #1 and overwhelming favorites to win the title. Then they had a few injuries and people try to pretend Duke was hamstringed and playing with an under talented bunch (of 9 McD AAs) all season.

Ripping the ACC is just such low hanging fruit for journalists.

Almost like in a small sample size there are outliers from year to year. There is nothing similar at all between UVA and FSU except they share a conference affiliation. There's no rhyme or reason that they should both lose on the same weekend and get blown out. That doesn't make the ACC "weak". If you want to see how good the damn conference is then at least use a larger sample size in terms of OOC games against "Power 5" opponents throughout the course of the year.

I won't refute the notion that the ACC "underachieved" in the NCAA Tournament based on expected win totals, but to call the conference "overrated" is just the kind of garbage I would expect from hacks like Goodman and Kilgore.

What's the difference between the ACC this year and last year, when it sent 5 teams to the Sweet 16? Did "we" forget how to win?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm tired of hearing K apologists claiming they were never contenders and were lucky to be where they were. They were pre-season #1 and overwhelming favorites to win the title. Then they had a few injuries and people try to pretend Duke was hamstringed and playing with an under talented bunch (of 9 McD AAs) all season.

I'm not an apologist. I never thought they were all that good.

I'm not saying people didn't think Duke was a contender, merely that it was clear by the start of ACC play that Duke wasn't a serious threat to win 6 straight games away from home in March. ESPN analysts pushing the Duke is back narrative for a whole month didn't change the facts on the ground.

Agree that FSU had the talent but that has never been enough to qualify you as a contender (see Wake Forest 2009).

Back