• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

Students seriously feel they cannot walk to the Joel? Really?

I guess I am getting old. I walked to the Joel for a ton of games. It is an easy walk, usually about 15 minutes, and when walked with friends felt like it was a walk from Collins to north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Students seriously feel they cannot walk to the Joel? Really?

People have gotten mugged over there a few times. This is a thread about having a hard time getting students to wear a certain shirt. :noidea:

I agree that winning is the main component. By a long shot. Gimmicks don't work without it. But Gimmicks help. Prosser understood that (he was also great at relating to the students). Tie Dyes were a gimmick. I hated them, but they helped pump people up and unite the fan base back in the day. The Deacon on the motorcycle and the bell at football game are gimmicks but still make it a more entertaining experience. There's no shame in uniting around a fun gimmick, but there's no substitute for winning.

Watched an ESPN Classic replay of #4 UNC @ #3 Wake Forest from 2005 last night. Atmosphere was crazy for that one... First time I had watched it on TV (I was at the game). Put me in the camp that winning will help immensely.

Heck, I think you'd see a dramatic improvement if we were simply a middle of the road ACC team & showed up in the top 25 every now and then.

My aspirations/expectations are much higher than that, but finishing between 10-15 in the ACC and making the NCAAs once in 7 years isn't going to bring people out in droves.

Monorail. It's always been the answer.

LOL. What would something like that cost? Nothing describes today's WF students better than this. The idea that they think somebody should spend tons of money to build a monorail to carry them across the street from the campus to the coliseum to watch a basketball game.

LOL. What would something like that cost? Nothing describes today's WF students better than this. The idea that they think somebody should spend tons of money to build a monorail to carry them across the street from the campus to the coliseum to watch a basketball game.
Bob or boob?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is true that our arena already pays homage to the dead, and from many angles to get to the front door you have to walk around memorial markers.

I'm sure everybody here remembers OUR WAKE YOUR FUNERAL

I like this idea. Use the Undertaker music to introduce the team. Ron Wellman as Paul Bearer. The Wake/Funeral theme can be used to give an identity to the student body. Make it happen.

I'm gonna use the "c" word because I think it's actually appropriate for this discussion....the culture of the student body flows with wins and loses, unlike other schools who have enough students who care enough about sports to show up in the right colors whether they win or lose.

Let's not kid ourselves, winning will change the culture of the students at wake. But it's tough to sustain that momentum when losing begins because of the amount of students, along with how many of them actually care. I mean go look at the pictures in the article...take out the wake forest bball players and you wouldn't know what school is storming the court. It's sad.

You gotta ride the wave. The sanctuary is by far the best nickname. I also think an organic student led initiative would probably work the best to get more people involved. Not from the top down.

You never called anyone a cunt despite being able to mention wellman several times

This is actually my favorite response to this thread, which is saying something

I'm not a wrestling dude -- is the Undertaker the one who comes out carrying a giant python? Because another idea for a cool, intimidating pregame ritual would be for the Deacon to walk out draped in a huuuuge snake, like an anaconda. You could do one of those albino snakes with the red eyes, but I think it would be scarier for it to be a traditional, dark snake. The Deacon could then walk right up to the opposing bench as they're being introduced and put the snake right in their faces and right in Coach K's face, close enough perhaps that the snake's forked tongue will lightly graze their uniforms or noses/eyes.

The Deacon could then walk back out to center court and use a concealed blade to pull the ol' "Snake Surprise" move from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but I'm unfamiliar with import/export laws and how easy it is to bring in a captured anaconda from Bolivia or the Congo or wherever they live, so we may want to skip this part and just keep the snake and reuse it for other games as well. It could live in Winston Hall and the Biology Department could take care of it.

Snake Surprise:

indy+snakes.gif

That scene always makes my skin crawl...ewwww. But it's just snakes coming out of a snake!

In the same vein as Jake the Snake Roberts, re-brand the Deacon as "Deac, the Snake Sneak Snobberts" and we are good to go!!

Okay, that's a bit of a tongue twister...

This tells me that the monorail is a great idea

It is true that our arena already pays homage to the dead, and from many angles to get to the front door you have to walk around memorial markers.

I'm sure everybody here remembers OUR WAKE YOUR FUNERAL

Shit, that shirt is out of date now. Maryland got PAID and we've got some new entrants.

Back