• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

I want to beat UVA, NC State, UNC, and Duke. They've outkicked us over that last 50 years. No reason to think if we pursue perfection with the proper facilities, we can't beat them over the next 50.

I realize it's an "extreme" position among Wake fans that we should succeed. That's why it is apparent we are fine going along and getting along with a horrible civic oversized arena, just like we did in 1990 and in 1957 when we moved the campus. Both were failures. We should stop accepting a failed home facility.

This is a perfect example of where your posts go off the rails. No one thinks it is an extreme position that we should succeed. Everyone is on board with major renovations to the Joel, including making it smaller and doing as much as is reasonably possible to reconfigure it into a better home court.
But now your position seems to be that we never should have moved from the town of Wake Forest? Ok then...

I've been as big a critic of the AD/sports marketing as anyone, but as I said earlier I'm not going to jump on board with "nothing we can do folks, so why try?" I mean if that's the logic let's just fire the entire sports marketing department. Just win and people will come! No need to market.

I think most fans think it's pathetic when the AD/SM try to stir up support and excitement without putting maximum effort on winning. The general response is: Put a decent product on field/floor and you'll have your attendance. The idea that we should have rabid fans with long dry spells of winning is just foolish. And pathetic. We've seen that at Duke, they are rabid about their MBB team; football not. Wonder why /s.

Yep, when I was at Wake in the mid '80's I attended EVERY "home" bball game and had to travel 30 minutes each way to Greensboro and back to do so.

Gentleman Carl had us rolling though with a Final 8 caliber team- good times! :)

If we could figure out a way to implant the soul of a child into this Deacon doll so that it becomes a tortured sentient being, that may be all we need.

fa5a881731f734a492fc62e9feed118b.jpg

I like this too. The little fella can leap down from the scoreboard after the pig sacrifice, then run frantically back and forth in front of the terrified opposing bench screaming "We're all damned! We're all damned!" and then finally he will take off his top hat and 20,000 locusts will pour out from it all over the court.

I like this too. The little fella can leap down from the scoreboard after the pig sacrifice, then run frantically back and forth in front of the terrified opposing bench screaming "We're all damned! We're all damned!" and then finally he will take off his top hat and 20,000 locusts will pour out from it all over the court.

I think we would be more successful with a few hundred serpents instead of locusts, but that's probably just me.

This satanic grandstanding isn't worth a hill of beans if we can't get Manning to coach defense.

Covered in pig's blood and feces or not, we aren't going to win games with opponents scoring 90+ points on our home floor.

This satanic grandstanding isn't worth a hill of beans if we can't get Manning to coach defense.

Covered in pig's blood and feces or not, we aren't going to win games with opponents scoring 90+ points on our home floor.

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, we piped in the sound effects of a child in agony for every shot the visiting team makes to condition them to not make them?

SATS, I thought you'd get this better than others. We had a choice this year. We could either have a bad defense and an average offense, or an excellent offense and a really bad defense. First of all, we had no one to cover ACC level wings...zero...nada...If we then had JC play hard nosed D helping, he'd get in foul trouble.

The choice worked well as we won 19 games and made The Dance.

As we have more bodies who can play D, we will.

During every timeout, rather than play music we just lower the lights again and show this on every video board:

I would love Gregorian chants during every deadball situation.

What if during the minute of mayhem, we just released dozens of live bats?

SATS, I thought you'd get this better than others. We had a choice this year. We could either have a bad defense and an average offense, or an excellent offense and a really bad defense. First of all, we had no one to cover ACC level wings...zero...nada...If we then had JC play hard nosed D helping, he'd get in foul trouble.

The choice worked well as we won 19 games and made The Dance.

As we have more bodies who can play D, we will.

So your argument is that we need better personnel?

I'd rather go with the dark arts.

Maybe we could improve attendance by recruiting exotic dancers as our cheerleaders?

Trying to decide the better option for HomeGamesInHarmsWay/donaldross in this type of scenario...

Hunchback of Notre Dame haunting fans from the rafters? Maybe ringing the "Victory Bell" after every loss?
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

or

Phantom of the Opera dwelling deep in the Joel cellars?
200px-ChaneyPhantomoftheOpera.jpg

Didn't the whole knife-wielding clown following children thing basically start in the Triad?

Surely we could capitalize on that somehow.

Trying to decide the better option for HomeGamesInHarmsWay/donaldross in this type of scenario...

Hunchback of Notre Dame haunting fans from the rafters? Maybe ringing the "Victory Bell" after every loss?
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

or

Phantom of the Opera dwelling deep in the Joel cellars?
200px-ChaneyPhantomoftheOpera.jpg

He seems very concerned about the ceiling height, so I'm going to go with the latter. Plus, by the time we build our 6000 seat coliseum, the roof will only be about 15' off the court anyway.

You guys are overlooking the very important question of what are we going to call the student section?!

DF07 is doing WORK on this thread.

I've said many times in the past that my dream AD marketing changes would be to paint the entire football field gold, and have the official intro song be Sting's "Fields of Gold". I want opposing teams to hate coming to BB&T and the Joel not because we're loud and raucous (though we'll be loud and raucous too), but because they'll be genuinely uncomfortable with the cultlike environment that can only be realized by 12000 people swaying and singing in unison with Sting

get it done, rafi

On it.

I'm worried that this is all going to look cheesy on ESPN3.

Even with Evan Lepler and Stan Lewter on the call.

Back