• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

I'm not going to pretend to have a background in psychology, but I think the conditioning will be stronger if it's a very young child.

Any parents on the boards willing to take one for the team? I'm looking at all the posters that got to enjoy the Howard/CP3 years. Prime age to have young children; time to give back to the program.

Arizona State has a lively student section and I think their product is no better than our product on the floor.

I posted in the comments on BSD's article, but I'll post the idea here too. I love the idea of "The Choir from Hell," but way too wordy to catch. What about "Hell's Choir"? Rolls off the tongue, incorporates both aspects of the Demon Deacon, goes along with the Black color scheme, and sounds pretty badass.

Do they have 5,201 or more seats in their arena?

10754. The games are never full. But there are a lot of students and they have a lot of spirit. Of course, ASU is like 10 times the size of Wake Forest.

10754. The games are never full. But there are a lot of students and they have a lot of spirit. Of course, ASU is like 10 times the size of Wake Forest.

But they are still just throwing away games with anything more than 5,180 seats.

Admittedly only read a few pages, the problem with black is I don't think it shows up well on TV. Also, it's pretty darn obvious when someone is not wearing black. The article references the Miami Heat, IIRC they didn't just show up to the stadium in white shirts they put white shirts on the seats, and that what most NBA teams do.

We also have the proximity problem to dook, UNC and State where they can fairly easily get tickets to our games.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I doubt people are going to focus on the right color for a last place BC game vs. a dook/UNC etc game.

Back in the day we had a crappy stadium and a great team (i.e. early 80's), we were literally packed to the rafters in that place and there was no guarantee you could get a student ticket for the UNC game. Then there was Staak and we had a crappy stadium and had to drive to GSO, less excitement and less students. Go figure.

A lot of the names will seem contrived. Those of us that where there, remember the 'horrible hanky' for the football team in 79/80. Still have that and it was a brilliant play off of the 'terrible towel' from Pittsburgh.

Maybe we can incorporate the 'Joel' into it. 'The Joel Junkyard' then DR will have a coronary as we institutionalize the place. :)

As part of the re-branding, it would be waaaay more intimidating if the Deacon emerges from the tunnel with a face smeared by ashes and feces and menstrual blood. He walks up to every single opposing player and points a finger right in their faces before gouging out his own eyes and then making a terrible ear-piercing shriek like a horned screech owl.

Holy fuck this is hilarious.

Student attendance at the games is all about campus culture. Something has to make the games must-attend events. There are a number of 'somethings' that can make that happen. Unfortunately. anything conjured up by the AD's office is most likely NOT going to be one of those 'somethings'.

The most obvious thing that can make it happen is to have a successful team that wins lots of games, has great rivalries, plays on TV, gets talked about on ESPN, etc. - in short, the team becomes something the students want to be a part of. They then will come whether the student section has a cool name or not.

Another thing that can really help make it happen, I believe, is evangelizing by the coach and team - reaching out to the student body to make them feel like they are part of the team. Skip was the best I have ever seen at this. So far, at least, DM has not shown a lot of effort in this area.

I think black apparel in the Joel would look cool. I've always liked the black out look in Wake Sports. I miss the old Wake uniforms in football that were all black with the gold WF on the helmet. I hate the C-3PO helmet and uniforms. I never liked the tie dye, and after Prosser died he was my first thought when I saw it anyway. I think we should move on, as the article seems to suggest.

Choir from Hell....love it. School would never make it official but someone could put up a banner each game. Like Deac Freaks too.

7c27455879b18a53cd2d9160249a7ef0.jpg

The biggest impediment is getting them in the building. It's not a 2 hour commitment, it's 3-4 when you factor in that you can't walk there, there's not really parking on campus any more, no one wants to give up their spot if they've actually got one, parking fees at the Joel, whatever. 3.5-4 hours away from schoolwork and partying has a high opportunity cost, so if you don't make it convenient as well as entertaining, people aren't going.

Run enough convenient shuttles (minimal waiting required)from campus to the doorstep of the Joel starting hours before tipoff. Encourage students to hold their extracurricular group meetings at the Joel prior to games. Give them meeting space, free food, etc, whatever you've got to do for a year or two until that becomes part of the culture. Hopefully by then we'll be good and you can readjust from there.

Plus clearly the satanic branding.

The biggest impediment is getting them in the building. It's not a 2 hour commitment, it's 3-4 when you factor in that you can't walk there, there's not really parking on campus any more, no one wants to give up their spot if they've actually got one, parking fees at the Joel, whatever. 3.5-4 hours away from schoolwork and partying has a high opportunity cost, so if you don't make it convenient as well as entertaining, people aren't going.

Run enough convenient shuttles (minimal waiting required)from campus to the doorstep of the Joel starting hours before tipoff. Encourage students to hold their extracurricular group meetings at the Joel prior to games. Give them meeting space, free food, etc, whatever you've got to do for a year or two until that becomes part of the culture. Hopefully by then we'll be good and you can readjust from there.

Shuttles are already provided.

Well I tried, better start winning consistently then.

It is true that our arena already pays homage to the dead, and from many angles to get to the front door you have to walk around memorial markers.

I'm sure everybody here remembers OUR WAKE YOUR FUNERAL

We could just turn games into an Irish wake.

If we go the Joel Mausoleum route then we need to repaint the floor. Turn the deacon head into a skull and plop that at midcourt. Make the lanes tombstones, etc.

Students seriously feel they cannot walk to the Joel? Really?

Back