• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

lazydeac

Reaction score
I know everyone around here likes to rip people for starting threads so at the risk of that I'm gonna do it anyway because this deserves its own thread.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/3...ve-the-wake-forest-basketball-student-section

Great article - what do you guys think about the options here?

Big shoutout to BSD for this - I think it's important to know what people think and will support in building our brand and getting the support of the students.

I nominate donaldross to serve as pro bono consultant, he has some #Winning$$$ thoughts on the matter

I'm all for whatever puts students in the stands for entire games. I'm happy to support anything that accomplishes that. However, I remain cynically skeptical about our student body.

I think black apparel in the Joel would look cool. I've always liked the black out look in Wake Sports. I miss the old Wake uniforms in football that were all black with the gold WF on the helmet. I hate the C-3PO helmet and uniforms. I never liked the tie dye, and after Prosser died he was my first thought when I saw it anyway. I think we should move on, as the article seems to suggest.

Choir from Hell....love it. School would never make it official but someone could put up a banner each game. Like Deac Freaks too.

Maybe if you offer lattes and free car detailing, students will come to the games.

It's a nice article but it's nothing new. All of this has been tried before. It works when we are winning. It doesn't work when we are losing.

It's a nice article but it's nothing new. All of this has been tried before. It works when we are winning. It doesn't work when we are losing.

Right, and the AD is in the middle of rebranding, so it's a good time to solicit opinions on the matter, even though "it's nothing new".

Hence the article.

Obviously I agree with you on the winning, but what about years where we are in between 25 win seasons, and 10 win seasons (most of our seasons)?

Does utilizing an "all-black" look increase the likelihood that students will wear that to the game as opposed to Tie-Dye or another color? Those are the types of things that are trying to be determined.

It's time to move past the tie-dye. It had its run, but I do associate it with Skip and that era.

But there is only 1 solution: win. Winning makes games cool, fun, loud and rowdy. The students and atmosphere will be back when we win consistently.

Right, and the AD is in the middle of rebranding, so it's a good time to solicit opinions on the matter, even though "it's nothing new".

Hence the article.

Obviously I agree with you on the winning, but what about years where we are in between 25 win seasons, and 10 win seasons (most of our seasons)?

Does utilizing an "all-black" look increase the likelihood that students will wear that to the game as opposed to Tie-Dye or another color? Those are the types of things that are trying to be determined.

No. The color of the shirt doesn't matter. Students don't really like to conform. Problem with football games is everyone is trying to peacock about with their own trendy clothes. For basketball you have the additional problem of basketball games, outside of a couple a year, aren't really viewed as "events". Students just come from whatever they were doing for a couple hours if they can be bothered to make it at all.

If we had colors that could more easily be incorporated into dresses, button downs, polos, and sweaters, we would be much better off with respect to the look of the student section.

The black is probably a better option than the old gold (though the old gold would be more unique) solely because it's easier for students to come to the games in black than old gold. Most students that come just wear regular clothes rather than anything remotely Wake Forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice article, but let's hope something ferments organically and the students make it their own.

However, while we're spit-ballin' (and since the student consensus seems to be a return to black), how about "The Black Pit" (although I admit it conjures up bad memories from eating at the Pit) or "The Black Hole" for the student section? And use "Back in Black" as a theme song for the first couple years. From there, you can move on from AC/DC to any other songs from the lexicon of rock n roll using "black" or darkness to create a menacing environment to "welcome" the visiting team. Plus such hard rock songs tie into the use of the motor bike -- if that is going to continue -- but perhaps it's time to trick out the Deacon with some new duds or a leather jacket at least.

I also really liked the use of "Paint it Black" by the Stones as the unofficial anthem for the 2006 Orange Bowl team, had a certain vibe that just fit nicely with that season....slow build that sneaks up on you and then crescendos like a Jon Abbate tooth-rattling hit behind the line of scrimmage!

Last edited:

I think the attitude of the student body towards sports at Wake is different now. There are hard core student fans, but I have a cousin on campus now and what he describes is a student body with a lot less athletic devotion. Some of that is the lack of exposure to winning and some of that is the kind of student Wake seeks these days. Remember the frat letters had to come down because they were intimidating student tours?

The students who populate this board won't like this assessment because by their very interest in the board's WF athletics content they are more like the old breed of WF student. But the fact is I don't think the students that come in on average are sports oriented. Flame away.

No. The color of the shirt doesn't matter. Students don't really like to conform. Problem with football games is everyone is trying to peacock about with their own trendy clothes. For basketball you have the additional problem of basketball games, outside of a couple a year, aren't really viewed as "events". Students just come from whatever they were doing for a couple hours if they can be bothered to make it at all.

If we had colors that could more easily be incorporated into dresses, button downs, polos, and sweaters, we would be much better off with respect to the look of the student section.

I didn't mean "wear this black shirt we hand out", I mean just "wear black because that's what the color is".

I think we are on the same page here, which is why market research (especially among students) is quite valuable in determining what color Wake should identify with.

Personally I like the Old Gold, but as stated, that causes issues with people having that color. Black is much easier to get somebody to wear because everybody has something black in their closet.

Back