• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC transfers

Doubt they will be dog shit. Obviously something awful was brewing last year. The level of defensive intensity didn't make sense. And some of those players, in theory, should be able to play D. I think they will play with high intensity and be a tough road win. Perhaps lack of experience in the system will give them a lot of trouble on the road.

All that said, count me in the camp that believes that Yurt will be nothing but a college stiff. Just don't see the pro game in him. The moment he sniffs intensity, he fouls like a mad man.

Kind of agree with this. We all know what bad coaching can do to decent talent. State will likely be decent now that they have a better coach.

Unbelievable how poorly they competed last year with good talent.

That's awesome.

This is a couple of days old, but Duke bench warmer Sean Obi committed to Maryland over G'town, Vandy and GT. Obi had transferred to Duke from Rice.

This is a couple of days old, but Duke bench warmer Sean Obi committed to Maryland over G'town, Vandy and GT. Obi had transferred to Duke from Rice.

Obi must have got the good vibes from Rasheed Sulaimon!

Meanwhile has Duke transferee Jeter finalized anything? Looks like he was definitely heading west with Oregon, Zags, USC & Zona in the mix.

Obi must have got the good vibes from Rasheed Sulaimon!

Meanwhile has Duke transferee Jeter finalized anything? Looks like he was definitely heading west with Oregon, Zags, USC & Zona in the mix.

What the hell is a "transferee"? Is that because it rhymes with 'referee'?

He needs to play before going to a legit D1 school.

No way to hate on Bennett as he is such a class act and his teams do win. But going forward, he had his best chance to get to a Final Four several years ago with Brogdon, Gill, Anderson, Tobey off the bench & Perrantes as a youngster. Then again last year they let a 13 point lead with 8 to go slip thru their hands against Boeheim's press. [that team was Brogdon, Gill, Tobey, Perrantes & Thompson]. They have lost the majority of their scorers now and "Hoo" knows if they can get enough back to make another great run. Meanwhile another great defensive coach, Frank Martin, has mixed in the defense with a few great scorers in Thornwell & Dozier to actually get to the Final Four [plus get their first NCAA wins since 1973]

Just came across this thread the other day. Virginia fans are actually a bit more optimistic about the coming year, if not years. Among other things, Huff redshirted last season primarily because he wasn't ready for the physical aspects of college ball. He was 6'11" and 185 lbs (or, something similar) when he arrived. He has since added between 30 and 40 lbs. Also, the decision to redshirt Huff came before Austin Nichols was dismissed from the team. Even then, Virginia was pretty successful until Isaiah Wilkins came down with whatever the affliction was that limited his playing time over the last month of the season. Huff might have helped, but I think the coaches viewed it to be in his best interest to keep his redshirt. Hunter redshirted because playing time on the wings was going to be limited. I think the fact that Marial Shayok transferred is because he saw his playing time being diminished next season. Both Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy came on strong at the end of the season. Mamadi Diakite also showed flashes. All three simply need time to mature. If Wilkins returns healthy, UVa should be fine next season. Scoring won't be the issue it was last season. Nichols was expected to be a major component of the offense, and his dismissal could have been catastrophic. It wasn't. Six of Virginia's losses were by fewer than four points or in overtime. Three of the other losses came when Wilkins was unable to play. Finally, UVa will be a very young team next season. There will be two true frosh, two redshirt frosh, three second yearmen (one of whom is a redshirt), and one redshirt third yearman. Only three players will complete their eligibility. I suspect there is more offensive 'fire power' among the youngsters than you believe, at the moment. Of course, everyone here could be right, and Bennett's success has run its course. Then, again, that same sentiment has been expressed by opposing fans at the end of nearly every season since he [Bennett] arrived in Charlottesville. First, the 'Hoos wouldn't survive the loss of Mike Scott. Then, the losses of Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris would be too much. Then, the departure of Justin Anderson would doom the program, and, finally, UVa would miss Tobey, Gill, and Brogdon too much to remain successful. History would suggest that Bennett will find a way to win more than a few games.

Paragraphs are your friend, and UVA isn't going to be good this year.
As a fan of Wolfe, Dos Passos, and Faulkner, the whole paragraph thing doesn't concern me. And, you might be right. It could be that Virginia won't be good this year. There are many unknowns. Nonetheless, I am pretty optimistic. With respect to the transfers, I believe Shayok and Reuter left because they sensed they would be by-passed by younger players. The Thompson transfer is a bit more troubling. It isn't a given he was going to be a substitute next season, but it might have happened. His biggest issue was consistency. Despite all the turmoil created by Nichols' dismissal, UVa still finished in a tie with Duke for fifth place. With better offensive balance on the floor, Virginia could be better in 2018 than in 2017.

Last edited:
UVA will be much better on offense with Guy and Jerome but that will lead to a loss of defense id think. Will be interested to see how the two mesh. I don't see them ever being that bad with Bennett at the helm that's for sure.

UVA will be much better on offense with Guy and Jerome but that will lead to a loss of defense id think. Will be interested to see how the two mesh. I don't see them ever being that bad with Bennett at the helm that's for sure.

Agreed, one way or another they're always going to be a pain in the ass to play under Bennett.

Back