• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC 2018

Pitt is an absolute dumpster fire. #1, #2, and #4 scorers leaving with some pretty lackluster-looking players coming in. Stallings was pretty much the worst possible hire for that job.

Before the season many had him as a lottery pick and he's a stiff. Thus my statement stands. He wasn't anywher near as good as he was advertised.
You're pretty much criticizing him for the very thing you are using for your own defense. Sometimes teams & players don't live up to expectations. Other times they vastly surpass them.

OGB made his outlooks based on returning players & incoming recruits projections. In general, his analysis was on point & well reasoned but it's a volatile subject so variance is to be expected. Some teams overachieved while others underwhelmed.

GT is still going to be extremely thin. The expectations will be higher, but I'm not sure it's anything more than a bubble squad at best unless Pastner lands one of the two big recruits GT is still chasing (Jordan Tucker and MJ Walker), and even then it's going to be a team that goes basically 7 deep.

GT so grossly overachieved this year and the roster is still so flawed due to Gregory basically not recruiting any high school players for 3 years that I'm not sure the team will actually be that much better record wise this year.

Great stuff.

Picture still is not clear with:

- Post-grad transfers
- Who will and will not leave for the NBA draft
- April signing period with coaching changes leaving highly ranked players again open to recruit

Pitt is in free fall. They peaked under Stallings with 14th place finish. Going into this season, Pitt had made the NCAAs 11 times in 13 years with an Elite 8 and two other Sweet 16s. Now they are fighting to stay ahead of BC.

And Dixon, who I think the complaint at Pitt was that he couldn't get them over the NCAA hump, had TCU, that I believe hasn't made the tourny for decades, on the NCAA bubble and is in NYC for the NIT final 4.

Pretty amazing job by Dixon at TCU. He has revitalized that team in one year. They went from 12 to 22 wins.

Clemson 17-16 (6-12), NIT
Returners: Shelton Mitchell (10.8 ppg, 3.6 apg); Marcquise Reed (10.0 ppg); Elijah Thomas (7.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg); Donte Grantham (7.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg); Gave DeVoe (7.1 ppg)
Losses: Jaron Blossomgame (17.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg); Avry Holmes (10.3 ppg); Sidy Djitte (6.5 ppg, 7.7 rpg)
Newcomers:
Always tough to categorize those teams with a record significantly worse than their level of performance. I’m putting Clemson in the “Worse” category even though I’d expect a similar record next year.

Clyde Trapp (SG #62), Aamir Simms (SF #24), AJ Oliver (SG #36), Malik William (PF #45)

This is depressing. I used to think Brownell was a good Xs and Os coach, who just couldn't recruit, because of Clemson basketball, not Brownell. But here we are in year 20 of Brownell, who just shat the bed hard with Blossomgame returning for his senior year. Our best players were transfers, who haven't been tainted by Brownell yet.....or, worse, Brownell can only convince soft recruits to commit, so the transfers end up being the best players.

Either way, it's obvious that Brownell is a dead man walking, and we will be terrible next year. We are going to come close, but ultimately lose out on Zion Williamson. We have Clemson alum, and hot commodity Will Wade running around calling LSU the real Death Valley. The future couldn't be more bleak. I fear we are entering our Buzz Dick era.

Yurtseven actually put his name in the draft. Will be interesting to see if they have any transfers or surprised entries (Abu) with the coaching change.

Terry Henderson will likely get another year, has already applied due to his injury.

Looks like even if we are about the same next year, we should be able to move up a few spots in the ACC due to others going backwards.

Only Miami, Duke, Louisville, and maybe UNC look clearly better than Wake Forest next year. Notre Dame, Virginia, and Virginia Tech get the benefit of the doubt, as well, but I'd take our roster over those three (even without Collins).

Heard a lot this ACC season about how the league was so good that it would be tough to improve much over last year, even with a better team. That was true, to an extent. Seems like you could say the opposite about next year... The opportunity is there to finish higher in the standings.

I think we can be better than UVa next year. VT and ND seem like teams that will exploit our weaknesses.

The math is not hard- solid non-conference (we seem to do a decent job of scheduling to fit the RPI these days), and then be better in conference than BC,Pitt,NCSU,GT,CU,UVa and 1 of Cuse/VT/ND. Do that and we should be at least a 7 seed in the NCAAs.

I think we can be better than UVa next year. VT and ND seem like teams that will exploit our weaknesses.

The math is not hard- solid non-conference (we seem to do a decent job of scheduling to fit the RPI these days), and then be better in conference than BC,Pitt,NCSU,GT,CU,UVa and 1 of Cuse/VT/ND. Do that and we should be at least a 7 seed in the NCAAs.

I hope to god we are better than Cuse next year. I don't see how they aren't flat-out terrible next season.

Pitt is an absolute dumpster fire. #1, #2, and #4 scorers leaving with some pretty lackluster-looking players coming in. Stallings was pretty much the worst possible hire for that job.

Pitt's [Redacted], in other words?

I get that Duke and UNC will lose players, but every year they just reload with top-line recruits. Both programs will stay in the top tier of the conference again next year.

I hope to god we are better than Cuse next year. I don't see how they aren't flat-out terrible next season.

they will need to get some more grad transfers into their Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation master’s program

I don't think UNC will have a good year next year. Definitely losing Hicks and Meeks, almost definitely losing Justin Jackson, and potentially losing Joel Berry. We only have one good recruit coming in, and it is hard to see where the scoring is going to come from.

Joel Berry is another Carolina special. 5-star recruit, awesome college player, like ZERO draft stock. 4 year player, fucking Roy.

Joel Berry is another Carolina special. 5-star recruit, awesome college player, like ZERO draft stock. 4 year player, fucking Roy.
I think it's way more a reflection of the type of recruit UNC goes after than Roy's coaching/development.

I think it's way more a reflection of the type of recruit UNC goes after than Roy's coaching/development.

oh, i agree, that's what i meant. he's perfected that recruiting niche.

Per his Instagram, Xavier Rathan-Mayes has declared for the NBA and will sign with an agent.

Do all these UVA defections mean we'll actually beat them next year?

Back