• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

Guys like Kilborn, Patrick, Olberman, Eisen, Mayne were all there at the same time, right? And I am sure I am forgetting some other classics. That was certainly the golden age of SportsCenter. Kind of like the Belushi, Chase, Akroyd, Radner, etc era of SNL.

Now I don't feel as bad. These Oral History books are great, but monsters. Halfway through Powerhouse but it is pretty repetitive.

The ESPN one spends a lot at the beginning talking about like licensing deals and broadcasting rights and such and takes a while to get to the good stuff

The Food Network one is awful. It's like 95% about the network execs and producers, and there are a ton of them. Problem is the author refers to them all by first name so you forget who's who especially when they mention someone like 50 pages later and you're like who da fuq is that.

Arbuckle, Glanville, Braden, and Raul Ibanez now gone too. Baseball got routed today. FS1 has a chance to make a real deny if they make the right moves fast.

I would watch the shit out of a 30 for 30 about the rise and fall of Craiggers. I watched him on the Daily Show and the Late Late Show every night back before DVR.

How did the awesome George Muresan commercials not get any love yet??

Please remove whoever made Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner the most courageous person in 2015! Whoever decided to give "it" the Arthur Ashe Courage Award on national TV should be fired. We have people losing limbs every day fighting for our freedoms far more courageous than "it" and he won't even go all the way and cut off the family jewels to make it complete. What a joke.

It is one thing to not understand Caitlyn Jenner or to disagree with her decisions, but surely we can all agree that she is a person and therefore should be referred to as a person. If you are not comfortable using the appropriate pronoun or are unsure which pronoun you should use, it isn't so hard to just type out Caitlyn instead. Give her the dignity she deserves. Any person deserves.

It is one thing to not understand Caitlyn Jenner or to disagree with her decisions, but surely we can all agree that she is a person and therefore should be referred to as a person. If you are not comfortable using the appropriate pronoun or are unsure which pronoun you should use, it isn't so hard to just type out Caitlyn instead. Give her the dignity she deserves. Any person deserves.

Reff is a damn caveman so, no, he can't understand that anyone who doesn't look like him or act like him is still a person.

I would watch the shit out of a 30 for 30 about the rise and fall of Craiggers. I watched him on the Daily Show and the Late Late Show every night back before DVR.

He was lazy as fuck. That's the story. Dude had 3 dream jobs and just didn't care to do them.

Reff is a damn moron so, no, he can't understand that anyone who doesn't look like him or act like him is still a person.

Fixed. Caveman ascribes too much virility to a frail, stupid, middle-school girl's basketball ref.

The market changed, that's all this is. It's not politics, or Bruce Jenner. It's that we don't need to get this information from ESPN like we used to, combined with expanding too far. We don't really need one 24-hour sports network, so five of them was doomed. The product got incredibly watered down, the talent got watered down, and competition grew tremendously with everything online now, rather than waiting until sportscenter comes on to see some cool highlights.

Yes, but ESPN's politics can't be brushed aside as a nonfactor either. Red state America is gaga about sports, and they didn't particularly care about the plight of Michael Sam or Jenner. ESPN wasn't just covering those stories, but engaging in Connecticut bubble-based issue advocacy. It was absolutely a factor in people tuning out. FS1 was doing the same stupid ESPN shows without the advocacy. Of course, FS1 has been mostly terrible because it did adopt the same model, but its existence is a factor, as are all the other things you mentioned, the emergence of league networks, etc...

Andy Katz let go. I didn't expect that one.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Yes, but ESPN's politics can't be brushed aside as a nonfactor either. Red state America is gaga about sports, and they didn't particularly care about the plight of Michael Sam or Jenner. ESPN wasn't just covering those stories, but engaging in Connecticut bubble-based issue advocacy. It was absolutely a factor in people tuning out. FS1 was doing the same stupid ESPN shows without the advocacy. Of course, FS1 has been mostly terrible because it did adopt the same model, but its existence is a factor, as are all the other things you mentioned, the emergence of league networks, etc...

Did you stop watching ESPN because of Sam or Jenner?

So how would you prefer a sports network cover the first openly gay athlete in the NFL draft or one of the greatest male athletes of all time transition to a woman?

Liking sport is not a partisan issue. I bet just as many left-leaning people like sport than right-leaning people in this country.

It is just such a terrible argument. And one that is only being done so they feel good about themselves for striking back at the "PC Police" when in reality it has nothing to do with the downturn in ESPNs fortunes.

The liberal-conservative sports debate is dumb. Who knows, perhaps an Ailes-like conservative sports network will rise to meet the need for far right sports fix. Just imagine they'd treat young female sideline reporters.

Back