• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

Yes, but ESPN's politics can't be brushed aside as a nonfactor either. Red state America is gaga about sports, and they didn't particularly care about the plight of Michael Sam or Jenner. ESPN wasn't just covering those stories, but engaging in Connecticut bubble-based issue advocacy. It was absolutely a factor in people tuning out. FS1 was doing the same stupid ESPN shows without the advocacy. Of course, FS1 has been mostly terrible because it did adopt the same model, but its existence is a factor, as are all the other things you mentioned, the emergence of league networks, etc...

So how do the mechanics of this work? Rubes are cancelling their cable to boycott ESPN? Because they punish Fox News with the same action, so...

ESPN is a business that's trying to make as much money as possible.

--------
4. Jayson Stark — baseball writer-talker and, at least in my dealings with him, a total mensch — is out. Stark started at ESPN in 2000. I bet there are a lot of ESPN viewers having the same thought I am: “Jeez, I’ve been watching him since I was in college.”
Until recently, this was one of the niftiest features of ESPN. If you came to the network in the ’90s or the ’80s or even its founding year of ’79, you could still, in present day, find your old pals. It was still the ESPN of your youth.
Love him or loathe him, Chris Berman was still he-could-go-all-the-waying his way through NFL highlights. Linda Cohn was doing SportsCenter. Ed Werder and Sal Paolantonio were walking the battlements on NFL Sundays. If the camera came back too soon from a commercial, you might catch play-by-play man Mike Patrick smoking a cigarette.
That easy familiarity — at least for old people like me — has started to wane. Sure, you can still find Bob Ley and Dick Vitale and Suzy Kolber and Mort. But today’s cuts will claim more familiar faces. We are now in an age when Scott Van Pelt is an elder statesman.
-------

That's what gets me. I'm not that old. The stars of my youth are in their 50s and early 60s. That's not THAT old.

ESPN is a business that's trying to make as much money as possible.

--------
4. Jayson Stark — baseball writer-talker and, at least in my dealings with him, a total mensch — is out. Stark started at ESPN in 2000. I bet there are a lot of ESPN viewers having the same thought I am: “Jeez, I’ve been watching him since I was in college.”
Until recently, this was one of the niftiest features of ESPN. If you came to the network in the ’90s or the ’80s or even its founding year of ’79, you could still, in present day, find your old pals. It was still the ESPN of your youth.
Love him or loathe him, Chris Berman was still he-could-go-all-the-waying his way through NFL highlights. Linda Cohn was doing SportsCenter. Ed Werder and Sal Paolantonio were walking the battlements on NFL Sundays. If the camera came back too soon from a commercial, you might catch play-by-play man Mike Patrick smoking a cigarette.
That easy familiarity — at least for old people like me — has started to wane. Sure, you can still find Bob Ley and Dick Vitale and Suzy Kolber and Mort. But today’s cuts will claim more familiar faces. We are now in an age when Scott Van Pelt is an elder statesman.
-------

That's what gets me. I'm not that old. The stars of my youth are in their 50s and early 60s. That's not THAT old.

Less to do with age. More to do with fat contracts.

Oh no doubt. But as he points out in #5, ESPN is letting go young cheap talent too.

ESPN tried to make their product personality driven and over time it failed. It's about live sports.

So I guess Trump isn't shaming ESPN for cutting jobs because they're a libtard network?

Oh no doubt. But as he points out in #5, ESPN is letting go young cheap talent too.

ESPN tried to make their product personality driven and over time it failed. It's about live sports.

So I guess Trump isn't shaming ESPN for cutting jobs because they're a libtard network?

Trump gets his sports news yelled him him via personal phone calls with Jim Rome.

Guys like Kilborn, Patrick, Olberman, Eisen, Mayne were all there at the same time, right? And I am sure I am forgetting some other classics. That was certainly the golden age of SportsCenter. Kind of like the Belushi, Chase, Akroyd, Radner, etc era of SNL.

I dunno. I always thought the Sandler, Farley, Rock, Spade era was the golden era. I am probably missing someone else too. Those guys/skits were hilarious every week.

So how do the mechanics of this work? Rubes are cancelling their cable to boycott ESPN? Because they punish Fox News with the same action, so...

Stop asking tough questions dude. That's a cheap shot

Seems like ESPN cut back on airtime for Andy Katz in the past year with other less informed dorks and chicks filling in. Andy is probably better than all of them but has a radio face.

I dunno. I always thought the Sandler, Farley, Rock, Spade era was the golden era. I am probably missing someone else too. Those guys/skits were hilarious every week.

Norm McDaniel?

There was some overlap there at least.

Not Col. Norman McDaniel? Seems like a funny guy.

78905eb186b567d1c44b8a8972f2e3f5.jpg

Back