• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

why does it get people so riled up for others to blame liberal bias on ESPN's steep decline, especially when you guys also tend to say you don't watch much ESPN? I can't imagine getting hot and bothered if people were saying the reverse was true and that ESPN was failing because it is conservative. who cares if people think that?

did you cancel cable because you were offended by ESPN being liberal?

why does it get people so riled up for others to blame liberal bias on ESPN's steep decline, especially when you guys also tend to say you don't watch much ESPN? I can't imagine getting hot and bothered if people were saying the reverse was true and that ESPN was failing because it is conservative. who cares if people think that?

Why does it get people so riled up for other to blame space aliens for President Trump being elected, especially when you guys also tend to say that you didn't pay much attention to the election?

It bothers people because it is factually inaccurate. I know that you aren't always sharp enough to figure out the facts, but there are things that are objectively incorrect. This is one of them.

Is there evidence that everyone but midwestern rubes are cancelling their cable subscriptions?

Again, you're projecting things no one is saying. The point was that midwestern rubes who allegedly are turned off by ESPN's "liberal bias" aren't going to ditch cable, and thus their basis for watching their beloved B1G football

Some people get bothered when folks are inaccurately characterizing things happening to fit their worldview.

What TheReff and BKF are postulating on here is simply untrue (the notion that these cuts are happening because ESPN is too liberal). Have some people left because of the perceived "liberal agenda?" Yes, I'm sure they have.

The primary reason that ESPN is making cuts is because the cable subscription model is failing, and they recognize this. The number of people cutting ESPN as part of their entire package is way more than the number of people who have stopped watching ESPN because of the "liberal agenda".

I still don't get the politics discussion. Sure, they over-covered Sam (to his detriment) and Jenner (I never understood why given her sports relevance was 40 years ago, but she's also a Pub, fwiw). But they also way over-covered Tebow (still are). The shows I watch (M&M, PTI and some NFL stuff) don't hit political issues, and M&M especially steers away from anything that could start getting political.

ESPN and the sports media generally helped kill Sam's and Tebow's careers. They were marginal players at best, yet they were drawing the most attention from the sports media. You can't be a celebrity scrub and draw all of the attention. Even if you're a great guy, it's bad for the locker room and team morale.

Rubes think ESPN is liberal because it's not as OWG as it used to be:

ESPN is looking less white and less male every day, a trend that will certainly continue. And, broadly speaking, these people are liberal.

This last is a point a lot of the network’s dumbest critics have pointed to as a reason for ESPN’s decline, and even levied as a charge of sorts. It’s true, of course, if not necessarily for the reasons those that are making it think it is. Former New York Times public editor Daniel Okrent once titled a column “Is The New York Times a Liberal Newspaper?,” and answered the question in the first line: “Of course it is.” He would later regret his flippancy, but the basic argument was sound: The Times’ viewpoint was (and is) urban, northeast, and educated, and members of those groups generally skew liberal.

The same is broadly true of the most prominent and talented ESPNers, and if the network is going to build shows around their personalities, that has to be at least acknowledged, if not embraced. If ESPN wants Bomani Jones, a genuine superstar talent, to be Bomani Jones, they have to be comfortable with him unleashing his takes on TV and on Twitter. Disney isn’t ordering up lefty takes—they’d be delighted if Jones could connect to audiences the same way while offering up conservative ones—but he wouldn’t be Bomani Jones if he did that. Allowing their best talents to be themselves is a strategy that makes sense for ESPN. It’s also tempered by the conservatism inherent in being, still, not just the most powerful media operation in its sphere (if not outright) on the planet, but part of a still vaster corporation that works according to the dictates of a capitalist industry.

http://deadspin.com/espns-diminished-future-has-become-its-present-1794433796

I like things that can be proven and not blowhard bullshit that can just be spouted.

Rubes everywhere. I remember tOSU being routed 31

Road game early against Oklahoma. At Wisconsin, at Penn. St in back to back weeks with both teams having a bye prior to playing the Bucks. Top 5 Michigan team to end the season.

Clemson is the only good team they played?????? And only lost two games all year with the youngest roster in the country. Child please!!!!

Again, you're projecting things no one is saying. The point was that midwestern rubes who allegedly are turned off by ESPN's "liberal bias" aren't going to ditch cable, and thus their basis for watching their beloved B1G football

Apparently you're missing the point. The first point is basic. There were far more people outside of the midwest than watched the Michigan-Ohio State game. The second point is that how does this stupid rube theory not apply to the South, which is obsessed with college football and heavily Republican (rubish).

And so the larger point is that the midwest is not saving ESPN. How you reached this argument given the layoffs I have no idea. And unless you have evidence that midwesterners are cutting cable less than other "rubish" areas of the country, you're making a dumb argument.

Last edited:
Apparently you're missing the point. The first point is basic. There were far more people outside of the midwest than watched the Michigan-Ohio State game. The second point is that how does this stupid rube theory not apply to the South, which is obsessed with college football and heavily Republican (rubish).

Neither of those have fuck all to do with what we're discussing -- except to support the notion that people aren't quitting ESPN b/c of politics. But OK!

Rubes everywhere. I remember tOSU being routed 31

Road game early against Oklahoma. At Wisconsin, at Penn. St in back to back weeks with both teams having a bye prior to playing the Bucks. Top 5 Michigan team to end the season.

Clemson is the only good team they played?????? And only lost two games all year with the youngest roster in the country. Child please!!!!

Three of those teams are in the Big Ten. Case closed.

A loss felt throughout the Wake Forest community. One of our own

Back