• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

Damn, Eamonn Brennan fired. He was always talking about Wake, even during the dark years.

it's not even that much about how we consume sports anymore. ESPN was the single greatest beneficiary of the the cable bundling platform, which is dying.

Exactly. Folks are cutting the cord as fast as they can and going to online.

I get so sick of ESPN regurgitating stories about the same teams or stories. If they really wanted to appeal to a broader audience we'd get more than big city team coverage. Also if it's not MLB (365 days a year), NFL or NBA Mike and Mike won't touch it which is a shame.

Always liked McMurphy. Imagine he'll catch on somewhere else

Jesus Christ.

This indignant two-word response....which you have used more than once....is so indicative of the smug, arrogant & dismissive attitude of many youngsters who post on these boards. You don't seem to understand how dismissive & arrogant that response is. You are so certain that you are on the cutting edge of American thought with your sanctimonious, self-righteous & moralistic attitude that you don't understand that your thinking on some of these issues doesn't represent the majority of Americans' opinion at all. As a matter of fact, the attitudes of people like you played a large part in the highly unlikely event of Donald Trump becoming President of the country. As much as anything, Trump's election was the result of the nation's rejection of the liberal agenda that has been shoved down the country's throat and all of the ridiculous PC that has been a part of that agenda.

As you continue the maturation process I think that you will eventually come to realize some of this....but I fear that this process still has a long way to go.

This indignant two-word response....which you have used more than once....is so indicative of the smug, arrogant & dismissive attitude of many youngsters who post on these boards. You don't seem to understand how dismissive & arrogant that response is. You are so certain that you are on the cutting edge of American thought with your sanctimonious, self-righteous & moralistic attitude that you don't understand that your thinking on some of these issues doesn't represent the majority of Americans' opinion at all. As a matter of fact, the attitudes of people like you played a large part in the highly unlikely event of Donald Trump becoming President of the country. As much as anything, Trump's election was the result of the nation's rejection of the liberal agenda that has been shoved down the country's throat and all of the ridiculous PC that has been a part of that agenda.

As you continue the maturation process I think that you will eventually come to realize some of this....but I fear that this process still has a long way to go.

Jesus Christ.

I don't watch Sportscenter much now because it's become over time less of a hilites collection. Never understood why a sports show went away from mostly showing the prior night's hilites. But I don't get the politics thing. In the a.m. when I'm eating breakfast, reading the paper and working out, I turn back and forth between Mike & Mike, TGC and PFT. And I'll occasionally watch PTI at night because I like Wilbon and Kornheiser. And I couldn't tell you what any of those folks' politics are. Also don't know why they're scaling back Rusillo and Storm - Rusillo especially because he's 1 of their better commentators. To me, the most irritating anchor has always been Linda Cohn.

Well this is a strong candidate for worst post of the year

Please remove whoever made Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner the most courageous person in 2015! Whoever decided to give "it" the Arthur Ashe Courage Award on national TV should be fired. We have people losing limbs every day fighting for our freedoms far more courageous than "it" and he won't even go all the way and cut off the family jewels to make it complete. What a joke.

And, I'd like to think that you're not the least bit surprised at its source.

Do you agree with referring to Caitlyn Jenner as "it?"

Do you agree with referring to Caitlyn Jenner as "it?"

To tell you the truth, I try to think about Caitlyn Jenner as little as possible. How Caitlyn Jenner is referred to is not among the top 10,000 things that concern me. That's just more of the PC bullshit that I mentioned earlier.

TIL ESPN's sports reporting supports a liberal ideology.

it's not even that much about how we consume sports anymore. ESPN was the single greatest beneficiary of the the cable bundling platform, which is dying.

Yep. And I'm guessing the people complaining about liberal bias are more likely to be paying for it than the liberals themselves.

It reminds me of MTV (do they even show videos anymore?) and how they changed dramatically from what their original programming was. In 10 years we'll be looking back saying "Remember when ESPN showed sports?"

Highlights are music videos in this scenario.

ESPN needs to be live sports, hard news, and documentaries especially the first two from 6 pm to 2 am. Limit opinions to a few hours in the morning and 5-6.

If it were anybody other than you, then I wouldn't believe that somebody is berating a poster who posted "Jesus Christ" to such a rude, condescending, and downright hateful post that TheReff posted originally.

I meant to be dismissive of his comment, because what TheReff said is a completely unacceptable way to refer to anybody else in this world. Surely throughout your experiences in this world you should have learned that by now.

My response wasn't meant to "represent the majority of American's opinion at all". It was to represent my downright disgust with his lack of civility regarding other people in this world.

If my excuse for the way I act on here is lack of maturation then what the fuck is your excuse Bud?

To bring it back to the thread topic, if these ESPN layoffs were truly caused by a rejection of the "liberal agenda", then I would think that most of the layoffs would be the on-air personality types that people seem to dislike so much. As is, it appears to be mostly reporters, columnists, and insiders, who hardly ever even make it on the air to "push the agenda".

Last edited:
How has ESPN not created a network for Tim Tebow? 24/7 Tim Tebow news and highlights would crush ratings.

I like the "libs get sensitive" tag because it seems to be people like TheReff who get their little snowflake minds offended when people dare talk about "its" like Jenner.

If they somehow manage to get Berman out of the building I think things will improve.

Highlights are music videos in this scenario.

ESPN needs to be live sports, hard news, and documentaries especially the first two from 6 pm to 2 am. Limit opinions to a few hours in the morning and 5-6.

Totally agree. Just now I turned on ESPN while eating lunch to see if by chance they were mentioning the cuts and the content was 'breaking down the NBA playoffs with an etch a sketch'...

Seriously and people want to turn this into a political issue....

They simply lost what made them worth watching and haven't had that in years. In a desperation attempt to fix it are turning further away from highlights and paying for far to expensive sports programming.

To tell you the truth, I try to think about Caitlyn Jenner as little as possible. How Caitlyn Jenner is referred to is not among the top 10,000 things that concern me. That's just more of the PC bullshit that I mentioned earlier.

Interesting what is offensive to you, one of the most overly sensitive pussies on this board, and what is not. Telling as well.

Back