• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

Mike Goodman a casualty. Probably their best soccer writer.

Somehow god damn will cain is going to survive this thing. Easily the worst on air personality on the network.

Sad to see Danny Kanell go. Really enjoyed R&K in the afternoons.

Wow, that one surprises me as well. See that Dilfer is out, which is another shocker. He seemed like one of the best, if not the best, of all the ex-NFL players they have on there. Surely they won't keep Steve Young around, He's got a dud personality and does a whole lot of saying nothing.

Seems like all the college conference-specific people are getting torched. Kinda surprised they aren't getting rid of all the team-specific NFL folks, or at least downsizing to one per division or something.

Apparently the key to surviving at ESPN is to create a lame schtick, continually place the race card, or a combination of both.

I thought Kannell was much better in the booth than as a radio guy.

Thank allah lebs and stugotz are saved

People dont use tv for sports highlights or scores anymore. Just like people dont watch music videos on tv anymore. They have to reinvent themselves and they are doing it.

To continue the analogy, keeping all the hottake donks like SAS, LeBetard, etc etc is the equivalent of running teen mom and the Challenge all day. And that's what they gonna do.

Also, Eamon Brennan wrote that nice Wake piece the other day. He gone.

Last edited:
Jay Crawford out

Dubs donk Ethan Sherwood Strauss, too

If it were anybody other than you, then I wouldn't believe that somebody is berating a poster who posted "Jesus Christ" to such a rude, condescending, and downright hateful post that TheReff posted originally.

I meant to be dismissive of his comment, because what TheReff said is a completely unacceptable way to refer to anybody else in this world. Surely throughout your experiences in this world you should have learned that by now.

My response wasn't meant to "represent the majority of American's opinion at all". It was to represent my downright disgust with his lack of civility regarding other people in this world.

If my excuse for the way I act on here is lack of maturation then what the fuck is your excuse Bud?

To bring it back to the thread topic, if these ESPN layoffs were truly caused by a rejection of the "liberal agenda", then I would think that most of the layoffs would be the on-air personality types that people seem to dislike so much. As is, it appears to be mostly reporters, columnists, and insiders, who hardly ever even make it on the air to "push the agenda".

Not really. As tone deaf as ESPN is, they're merely firing whomever they perceive as excess baggage to their existing operation. The postulate of their leftist bias is unaffected by whom they terminate; it only needs to account for the lower ratings/revenue due to the alleged cause.

It seems like the people they're getting rid of is an indicator of going more in the direction of showing live sports content, rather than supporting content?

Of course sports rights are super expensive and other entities aren't necessarily run like a business to the degree that Disney is

TITCR. Us elitist board liberals knew this was coming because we read things about technology, shifting resources from "talent" to content, cord cutting, etc., but we aren't "regular sports loving" folks though, so #MAGA

The should fire LeBatard and keep his idiot dad. Just for shits and giggles. #youdontunderstandtheshow

They're really deepening the pool for Around the Horn if they open it up to former ESPN writers.

They should fire the current PTI Stat Boy and make Tony Reali go back to doing double duty as Stat Boy and host of Around the Horn.

Back