• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

This indignant two-word response....which you have used more than once....is so indicative of the smug, arrogant & dismissive attitude of many youngsters who post on these boards. You don't seem to understand how dismissive & arrogant that response is. You are so certain that you are on the cutting edge of American thought with your sanctimonious, self-righteous & moralistic attitude that you don't understand that your thinking on some of these issues doesn't represent the majority of Americans' opinion at all. As a matter of fact, the attitudes of people like you played a large part in the highly unlikely event of Donald Trump becoming President of the country. As much as anything, Trump's election was the result of the nation's rejection of the liberal agenda that has been shoved down the country's throat and all of the ridiculous PC that has been a part of that agenda.

As you continue the maturation process I think that you will eventually come to realize some of this....but I fear that this process still has a long way to go.

What's this majority bull shit. The vast majority of people think Bobby Knight is a complete dick. Use something else. Sports ain't liberal or conservative. You watch flags, flyovers, and listen to anthems. Fuck that shit. I want to watch the game.

ESPN is doing the smart thing by paring down to focus mostly on live sports. Leave the analysis and content to the multitudes of bloggers and podcasts out there.

Yes, I want all football analysis from PFTCommenter and Cousin Sal.

It is hard to be the one-stop shop for sports analysis in such a fragmented landscape.

Can understand getting rid of writers for sports ESPN doesn't broadcast games for (NHL) or where it hasn't developed a dominant position from an analysis/reporting standpoint.

Ones like McMurphy and Stark are more striking since they broke a lot of news

Yeah I don't get the firings of those guys at all. I also thought they would fire more of the on-air people and try to expand more into an online presence with insiders/columnists/writers/etc.

Why do you do this? You understand the issue is more complex than can be dismissed in a one liner.

You can only replay 30for30's so many times. The network still has to remain fresh. My point is how often they will put out new 30for30 content. But to the poster was right on who said keeping the bloviating commentators is the equivalent of keeping reality TV. Cheap to produce, fills air time.

You were responding to me saying they could rerun documentaries. I was bringing it back to that topic.

I've already posted about more complexity.

There's gotta be a ceiling, right?

Agreed. It's important to have live content that people don't fast forward through. But I can't imagine the ROI keeps going up as well.

There's gotta be a ceiling, right?

I think we are seeing some of it today. Eventually the fees will get passed on to the consumers. Some type of PPV model where the broadcaster and content provider carve up percentages of the take. That's just my guess though.

I love bob's rants today in light of him hating the Army-Navy game. Wonder what those Kap haters think of that take?

We must have been watching a completely different ESPN. They had athletes, former athletes, and commentators alike on there saying that they disagreed with what he was doing/how he was doing it/what he stood for. They also had people on there who agreed with what he was doing. They reported on a social/political event that was taking place in the realm of sports (and the biggest sport in the USA in that in the NFL).

I got tired of watching the coverage, but not because it was "left wing political reporting disguised as sports reporting", but because I just didn't care after the first week.

So you're saying that other people who play sports for a living, work in sports, and work with sports had an opinion on the guy who plays sports for a living...weird. And to think, a sports news show covered it. :rulz: Man, ESPN is SO liberal!

Lots of "Rooney Rule haters" out there.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't get the firings of those guys at all. I also thought they would fire more of the on-air people and try to expand more into an online presence with insiders/columnists/writers/etc.

Seems like more of the SC anchors are starting to leak out now

Do you think they're announcing a lot of these layoffs because otherwise people would have no idea who some of this "on air talent" is ?

People dont use tv for sports highlights or scores anymore. Just like people dont watch music videos on tv anymore. They have to reinvent themselves and they are doing it.

To continue the analogy, keeping all the hottake donks like SAS, LeBetard, etc etc is the equivalent of running teen mom and the Challenge all day. And that's what they gonna do.

Also, Eamon Brennan wrote that nice Wake piece the other day. He gone.

No. It has to do with race. Or transgenders. Or something else that makes people not understand how the world is around them anymore.

Nothing to do with people being able to get highlights from other sources.

Neither were on. Came on a couple minutes late, Adnan Virk was hosting. Obvs paid tribute to Kanell.

Russillo is fine apparently, just off the rest of the week

I don't watch Sportscenter much now because it's become over time less of a hilites collection. Never understood why a sports show went away from mostly showing the prior night's hilites. But I don't get the politics thing. In the a.m. when I'm eating breakfast, reading the paper and working out, I turn back and forth between Mike & Mike, TGC and PFT. And I'll occasionally watch PTI at night because I like Wilbon and Kornheiser. And I couldn't tell you what any of those folks' politics are. Also don't know why they're scaling back Rusillo and Storm - Rusillo especially because he's 1 of their better commentators. To me, the most irritating anchor has always been Linda Cohn.

This. Snowflakes on the right think there is a liberal bias if there are black people talking, end of story. If they are talking loudly, and, God forbid, gesticulating, time to get the guns.

This. Snowflakes on the right think there is a liberal bias if there are black people talking, end of story. If they are talking loudly, and, God forbid, gesticulating, time to get the guns.

charles payne is the best though

Re: Caitlyn Jenner's ESPY-If ESPN milking a national news story with the Arthur Ashe Award bothered you, you should have stopped watching-as I did-immediately when they gave the award to Todd Beamer. (I don't object to the notion that Beamer was courageous, I object to his classification as an "athlete" with the purpose of milking 9/11).

Back