• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

sheen%2Bmajor%2Bleague.jpg

awkward for people, like Ed Werder, who have ESPN in their Twitter @

So their strategy is firing actual reporters who know their sports inside and out in favor of dismissing on-air "talent" who aren't funny, overly-political or just inflammatory for the sake of being provocative? Do they really not understand that that is the reason their ratings continue to plummet? Not to mention the fact that all the major sports leagues have their own channels that kick ESPN's butt for the most part. At least they seem to want to re-launch two of their better shows, "Outside the Lines" and E:60, but stop conflating "flash" and hot-takery with your news / highlight shows. It's about charisma and personalities that are fun. Shoot, I even enjoyed Keith Olbermann back in the day because he didn't seem to take things too seriously.

I always wondered how Ed Werder still had a job when all he did was 30 seconds a week from the Cowboys' stadium.

So their strategy is firing actual reporters who know their sports inside and out in favor of dismissing on-air "talent" who aren't funny, overly-political or just inflammatory for the sake of being provocative? Do they really not understand that that is the reason their ratings continue to plummet? Not to mention the fact that all the major sports leagues have their own channels that kick ESPN's butt for the most part. At least they seem to want to re-launch two of their better shows, "Outside the Lines" and E:60, but stop conflating "flash" and hot-takery with your news / highlight shows. It's about charisma and personalities that are fun. Shoot, I even enjoyed Keith Olbermann back in the day because he didn't seem to take things too seriously.

That factor hasn't been mentioned as much, but the development of each league's own network has played a big role in ESPN's diminished presence in sports. If you love Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Motor Sports, there are networks now solely dedicated to whatever sport you prefer that can get to the granular detail that ESPN can't. Same with the development or the SEC and Big 10 Networks. ESPN is no longer the source for info about any particular sport. By cutting the reporters that cover those sports, ESPN is essentially conceding that they can't compete with the single sport centric networks.

'Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter reports that ESPN will let SportsCenter anchor John Buccigross’s contract expire this summer, and that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm will see their roles at the network “significantly reduced.”'

And here are some excellent comments from readers on why ESPN has come to this sorry state:

liv2ski 1 hour ago
When you've become a liberal cesspool - this is what you end up with, a dying company. See ya.

DavidF 2 hours ago
news flash for the media- When you merge politics with sports/entertainment/news or anything else, you #$%$ off half of your audience. And eventually lay off half your employees.

tom 2 hours ago
Please remove Stephen A Smith, Jamelle Hill, and Michael Smith. ESPN went downhill starting with the Caitlyn Jenner award nonsense. Now they mascarade as an alt left opinion based talk show. Every new launch has a liberal backing behind it, if I could remove ESPN from my programming I would, someday I will be able to, and that's when ESPN will faulter

Shore105 1 hour ago
Maybe another story on transgender bathrooms delivered by another social justice warrior snowflake will help ESPN.

creepy 1 hour ago
What they meant to say was their audience got tired of ESPN injecting politics into sports, and they can't afford to pay all the snowflakes now.

RC 1 hour ago
Get out of politics and stick to sports.

wildcrzy 1 hour ago
When they started voicing their political opinions, the lost me and many other viewers

Seleric 1 hour ago
Talent? That being generous, hopefully Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith are part of the "no talent" cuts.

R 1 hour ago
what don't businesses understand? Target stores said they would allow transgender people into the other restroom. Their business fell off big time. ESPN pushes Bruce Jenner ( refuse to call him by anything else) and viewership dropped. Main Street, middle america doesn't want that...Comprehend????

Almost Retired 1 hour ago
When your reporters are liberals and regular sports loving Americans suddenly find themselves exposed to the liberal's political opinions - America changes channels. Profits decline. So Walt Disney thins-out the liberals. In the end, all liberals end up broke and unemployed - usually on welfare.

BobbyDe 1 hour ago
That's what you get when you go political. I used to watch ESPN for sports. Then they got into politics, Catlin Jenner, Tom Brady witch hunt, Kaepernick taking a knee, etc. ESPN is now unwatchable.

john 1 hour ago
who wants to watch this liberal agenda posing as sports news!

Millerbarber 1 hour ago
If they would move from the ultra liberal view to a more middle of the road view they could win back viewers. I stopped watching ESPN other than sporting events

Chris 1 hour ago
Hope Stephen A Smith gets the axe! I quit watching ESPN two years ago because of that jerk.

(There are a couple of thousand more in that same general vein.)

That factor hasn't been mentioned as much, but the development of each league's own network has played a big role in ESPN's diminished presence in sports. If you love Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Motor Sports, there are networks now solely dedicated to whatever sport you prefer that can get to the granular detail that ESPN can't. Same with the development or the SEC and Big 10 Networks. ESPN is no longer the source for info about any particular sport. By cutting the reporters that cover those sports, ESPN is essentially conceding that they can't compete with the single sport centric networks.

I'm not sure that I buy this. Those networks get almost zero ratings. I think it's more of people being able to easily access information from a bunch of sources on social media (especially Twitter) rather than being reliant on ESPN to consolidate it.

In 15 posts we have people cheering other people getting fired, and an old man talking about ESPN's ratings being reduced because of their liberal views.

Welcome to the internet.

Last edited:
It seems like what ESPN is cutting is actual level headed news people and focusing on the talking heads types who have made the network increasingly unwatchable.

As a former employee of the four letter I can only wish for its imminent demise.

I like espn as a clearinghouse for live sports and access to Wake sports is pretty sweet. I'm indifferent to their analysis for the most part, level-headed or otherwise, save for a very small group.

Please remove whoever made Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner the most courageous person in 2015! What a joke.

Last edited:
Back