• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Berry vs Crawford

sportsnut

Reaction score
I know a lot of unc folks who think Berry returning means they will be top 5 again and that he is by far the best PG in the country returning next season. Well let's go to the stat sheet and see what it shows with Berry against Craw. Berry 14.7ppg, 3.1rpg, 3.6apg 2.0 TOpg, 77%'sFT's, 38% on threes. Crawford 16.2ppg, 3.8rpg, 5.5apg, 2.3TOpg 83% FT's, 35% from three. I am no statistician but I only see the "best PG returning by far" ahead in 2 categories namely TOpg and 3 point shooting. The hype this guy (Berry) is getting makes you wonder if they think he is Ray Felton, Chris Paul and Jay Williams all rolled into one.

Last edited:
Definitely a close call. Crawford had a 116.2 O rating on 25.8% usage while Berry had a 117.7 on 21.3% usage. Both are very good ACC players

I know a lot of unc folks who think Berry returning means they will be top 5 again and that he is by far the best PG in the country returning next season. Well let's go to the stat sheet and see what it shows with Berry against Craw. Berry 14.7ppg, 3.1rpg, 3.6apg 2.0 TOpg, 77%'sFT's, 38% on threes. Crawford 16.2ppg, 3.8rpg, 5.5apg, 2.3TOpg 83% FT's, 35% from three. I am no statistician but I only see the "best PG returning by far" ahead in 2 categories namely TOpg and 3 point shooting. The hype this guy (Berry) is getting makes you wonder if they think he is Ray Felton, Chris Paul and Jay Williams all rolled into one.

Who in the world said he is the best returning PG next year? Give me Jalen Brunson over him every day of the week.

Berry seems to have some intangibles like hi BB IQ. He also seems to be a bit more of a poor mans CP3. Also, our defense seems to really suck and Crawford is on a terrible D, and seems to rarely lead his team to wins on the road.

Berry seems to have some intangibles like hi BB IQ. He also seems to be a bit more of a poor mans CP3. Also, our defense seems to really suck and Crawford is on a terrible D, and seems to rarely lead his team to wins on the road.

this post here is bad

Keep in mind these are UNC folks you are talking about. Berry is the returning PG for the ACC and NCAA champions. Nothing else matters. End of discussion.

This thread is ridiculous. Yeah, I'm sure the point guard on a team that didn't make the tournament is as good as the point guard on a national champion. It also completely ignores one side of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I as Black and Good biased as anybody, but if we really had the best PG in the ACC and the best inside player in the ACC or at least better than anybody UNC had (not overall talent on the team of course), why the heck didn't we get farther than the first four? Until Crawford can lead us to something tangible give me Berry, as much as I want to throw up for saying that.

This thread is ridiculous. Yeah, I'm sure the point guard on a team that didn't make the tournament is as good as the point guard on a national champion. It also completely ignores one side of the ball.

Two points, we actually did make the tournament and with this reasoning you must think Ray Felton was a better PG than Chris Paul? I agree Crawford is bad on defense but that does not mean that Berry is a good defender, he most certainly is not. Plain and simple if they switched teams most would admit Crawford was aT LEAST as good as Berry, it is all about the name on the front of the jerseys

Ok, I as Black and Good biased as anybody, but if we really had the best PG in the ACC and the best inside player in the ACC or at least better than anybody UNC had (not overall talent on the team of course), why the heck didn't we get farther than the first four? Until Crawford can lead us to something tangible give me Berry, as much as I want to throw up for saying that.

It's amazing that guys like John Stockton were able to have the careers they did given their college teams' lack of success.

It's amazing that guys like John Stockton were able to have the careers they did given their college teams' lack of success.

All I'm saying is assuming we had the best inside player and who should've been the ACC POY imho this past season, if Crawford really is the best returning ACC PG, we should've gotten farther than we did. You can get a long ways with an elite PG and an elite big even with 3 stiffs out there with them. I think we only one of those things. Crawford can look brilliant at times, but he's got to be much more consistent before a good argument can be made to compare him to Berry.

If we win more games your assertions will be founded. Greatest accolades go to the winners generally.

They are both good. Probably even very good.

Berry has a natty and a runner-up. Crawford has a play-in game.

We will see what happens next year, but it seems like a silly thing to worry about (or even discuss). I mean, Dennis Smith Jr. is better than both of them... What did that do for NCSU?

IMO, Crawford is the better athlete with the greater potential. However, at this point, Berry is the more polished and consistent player.

Every now and then Crawford makes a play (or tries to make a play) that leaves me shaking my head, thinking "why did he do that?" And that happened too many times. Once those go away, Crawford becomes an outstanding PG, maybe one of the best in the country. He does a lot of good things. He and Collins seemed to have good chemistry. It will be interesting to see if Crawford's assists go down without Collins catching semi-errant passes and scoring.

Every now and then Crawford makes a play (or tries to make a play) that leaves me shaking my head, thinking "why did he do that?" And that happened too many times. Once those go away, Crawford becomes an outstanding PG, maybe one of the best in the country. He does a lot of good things. He and Collins seemed to have good chemistry. It will be interesting to see if Crawford's assists go down without Collins catching semi-errant passes and scoring.

Good post, I agree. Crawford has all the ability in the world, he just needs to put it together much more consistently. Hopefully the 17/18 season will see that start to happen.

Unfortunately, being "the man" without Collins may lead to even more Crawford hero ball. Hopefully he continues to mature, and doesn't take too much on his shoulders next year.

Unfortunately, being "the man" without Collins may lead to even more Crawford hero ball. Hopefully he continues to mature, and doesn't take too much on his shoulders next year.

Another good post. Yeah hopefully he matures some and Manning can coach up Doral or Sam and make at least one of them capable of being productive for us.

Edited to add: I don't blame JC for going pro, no bad feelings over it at all, but damn it would've been fun to see he and Crawford on the court together again this coming season. I really think that team would've had the potential to challenge for the league title and a run in the big dance.

This point is actually quite irrelevant. The projected #1 pick in this year's draft didn't make the tournament.

The play-in-game is dumb, but at the end of the day, teams who made the play-in-game still made the tournament. At least that is what the record books will say.

I'm pretty surprised that Berry doesn't have a better A:TO ratio.

IMO, Crawford is the better athlete with the greater potential. However, at this point, Berry is the more polished and consistent player.

Why would you say that? Crawford scores more. Crawford averages 50% more apg with less talent around him. Crawford has a better a/to ratio. Crawford shoots better from the field and the FT line. Berry has a higher 3 pt %.

Back