• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

Does anyone see a Cedric Maxwell comparison? I'm watching this Lakers vs. Celtics 30 for 30 and he seems to be a decent comparison. Curious what some of the 8X Deacs think.

Back in the day, a lot of small forwards were just that. They were small forwards not big wing guards.

His film looks like a 6'8 bruiser. Better passer than JC, which is probably why he was a SF, but similar size and skillet.

Don't be shocked to see JC be a good passer. I'd bet you a drink Danny told him, "If get the rock within 5' of the basket, shoot it EVERY time."

It kinda worked.

Near the end of the season, JC made some nice passes. He'll be fine.

Back in the day, a lot of small forwards were just that. They were small forwards not big wing guards.

True. Makes sense

Don't be shocked to see JC be a good passer. I'd bet you a drink Danny told him, "If get the rock within 5' of the basket, shoot it EVERY time."

It kinda worked.

Near the end of the season, JC made some nice passes. He'll be fine.

Yeah I don't think JC really had the green light to pass, as strange as that is. I'm sure he will end up being a good passer.

True. Makes sense

Yeah I don't think JC really had the green light to pass, as strange as that is. I'm sure he will end up being a good passer.

Just like he didn't have the green light to play D so he could stay on the court

I'll always remember Collins' ole D in the KSU game. He finished with 2 fouls.

Collins showed flashes of a passing IQ, especially toward the latter part of the season when teams started locking in on him. Just wasn't able to do it consistently enough.

Just like he didn't have the green light to play D so he could stay on the court

I think the theory that "Collins' D was poor last year simply because he needed to avoid fouling out of games" only is partially true. There were many late game situations when fouls were not an issue, and we still gave up easy scores inside; for example, K State killed WF inside and JC had only 2 fouls in the game. I am a huge JC fan, and his offensive upside is off the charts, but I rarely saw even glimpses of solid post-defense from him.

I'll always remember Collins' ole D in the KSU game. He finished with 2 fouls.

Yep, appears that JC already has down pat that they don't play any defense in the NBA save for the playoffs perhaps.

Actually, it's been over a year now and haven't watched the NBA since The Big Fundamental retired.

Actually, it's been over a year now and haven't watched the NBA since The Big Fundamental retired.

You've missed some great defense then. Hell, the Spurs have the best defender in the league. Kawhi is going for his 3rd straight DPOY award.

I used to think that too when I was 100% into college ball, it is simple not true though.

This. In the NBA, the players play defense. In the NCAA, the refs play defense.

Back