• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

That's bc his defense kinda sucked at times

Good helping from the weak side but got exposed over and over again on backdoor cuts and defending the pick and roll

I think people here downplay JC's D. I would be stunned if Danny didn't tell him to only go after the shots he knew he could take as he got a lot of cheap calls and we couldn't afford to have him on the bench.

Don't be shocked to see JC be an above average defender in the NBA after a year or two.

You're probably right, given that Collins won't be expected to carry a team offensively and will have 6 fouls give in about 15 minutes per game. NBA coaches aren't going to have save his fouls and minutes for the final 4 minutes of a game so they will let him be more aggressive on D.

I think people here downplay JC's D. I would be stunned if Danny didn't tell him to only go after the shots he knew he could take as he got a lot of cheap calls and we couldn't afford to have him on the bench.

Don't be shocked to see JC be an above average defender in the NBA after a year or two.

This 100%. JC is a good defender. He couldn't breathe on someone without getting a foul called last year.

Let's just hope he doesn't have to guard Zach Leday!

You're probably right, given that Collins won't be expected to carry a team offensively and will have 6 fouls give in about 15 minutes per game. NBA coaches aren't going to have save his fouls and minutes for the final 4 minutes of a game so they will let him be more aggressive on D.

And if he gets picked by Miami and JJ resigns, John can let James beat the shit out of the guy on D. :)

This 100%. JC is a good defender. He couldn't breathe on someone without getting a foul called last year.

He has the footwork and athleticism to be a good defender, but I can't see him being a great rim protector with his height and wingspan. If he can defend stretch and small ball PFs on the perimeter and going to the basket, he'll be fine.

Yeah that's fair. Agreed - I don't see him banging deep in the paint with true centers.

Gaybone? Are you still alive?

JC isn't a center. He's a PF. He won't be covering centers. This is especially true if he ends up in Miami and plays next to Whiteside.

I get that fouls limited some of his defense, esp one on one but I thought he generally showed pretty weak awareness and positioning irrespective of potential foul trouble. Hope that improves because if you give up easy buckets and you aren't a straight up stud you don't play in the NBA.

I get that fouls limited some of his defense, esp one on one but I thought he generally showed pretty weak awareness and positioning irrespective of potential foul trouble. Hope that improves because if you give up easy buckets and you aren't a straight up stud you don't play in the NBA.

Positioning would either be a coaching problem or a BBall IQ problem. One of those is more fixable than the other.

Partly. We couldn't afford to have him in foul trouble so we couldn't take the chance, especially with his chances of trying to block every shot. We needed him to score & rebound!!

His positioning on rebounds, post play and in set plays shows he understands how to do and is eminently coachable. He might even know how to do it but was instructed not to be in the position to pick up fouls this year.

He runs the court amazingly and has great footwork. He'll be fine.

I wonder what position he will play in the NBA. He looks like a PF, but is so good in the post. I can see him like a Al Horford type offensive player. His D will improve...was singled out for fouls his FR year and I think that played a part.

"Poor defender who doesn’t stay seated in his stance and gets too handsy. He’s not lazy, just lacks fundamentals.
Skinny frame, and not particularly long or explosive, so his rim-protection upside is naturally limited.
Ineffective shooter, but has good touch and average mechanics. Needs to fix his set point and have consistent footwork to improve.
Lacks passing vision. He telegraphs too many passes or doesn’t spot open players."

Good news, in my totally biased opinion, is that two of these four I don't really see as concerns. He's a very good passer for his size and I'm not sure where the "lacks vision" canard came from but it popped up a few times randomly last year too on articles about him. He seems to be a decent shooter but didn't take many during games because it didn't make any sense in the offense. One of the most efficient college players of the last decade and our only legitimately good big - why would we have him taking jumpers or extending his range in the offense when he would otherwise need to be inside?

#DonkBias The Spurs could turn Collins into a great player if enough teams are dumb enough to pass on him. I doubt they are though.

"Poor defender who doesn’t stay seated in his stance and gets too handsy. He’s not lazy, just lacks fundamentals.
Skinny frame, and not particularly long or explosive, so his rim-protection upside is naturally limited.
Ineffective shooter, but has good touch and average mechanics. Needs to fix his set point and have consistent footwork to improve.
Lacks passing vision. He telegraphs too many passes or doesn’t spot open players."

This is a horrible scouting report.

Back