• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 U.S. Open Contest - DeaconDog holds on to win!

Sleepy

Joakim Blom
Reaction score
The U.S. Open, America's Championship.

FORMAT: Listed below are most of the golfers participating in the The U.S. Open. You need to pick 6 of them with a total value of 400 or more. Pick carefully - your team will end up "missing the cut" if more than two of your golfers miss the cut in the event! To make your selections, send me a PM with the golfers' names and point values.

SCORING: Your score will be the aggregate of your best four golfers. Since you have to have at least four scores counting, if more than two of your golfers miss the cut, so does your team. There are also "bonus points" at the end of the tournament. If you've got the champion golfer on your team, it's -5. The runner-up gets you -3, and having the third-place golfer gets you -1 off your score.

DEADLINE: All entries must be sent to me by 7:45 AM Thursday, June 15th.

LIVE SCORING: Live Scoring will not be available for the U.S. Open but I will try to post daily updates.

Top Players:
Golfer Points
Dustin Johnson 0
Jordan Spieth 5
Rory McIlroy 10
Jason Day 10
Jon Rahm 18
Rickie Fowler 18
Justin Rose 20
Adam Scott 30
Hideki Matsuyama 30
Sergio Garcia 30
Henrik Stenson 33
Justin Thomas 33
Brooks Koepka 40
Thomas Pieters 40
Branden Grace 50
Jason Dufner 50
Kevin Kisner 50
Louis Oosthuizen 50
Paul Casey 50
Matt Kuchar 55
Alex Noren 60
Charl Schwartzel 60
Daniel Berger 60
Billy Horschel 65
Bubba Watson 65
Kevin Chappell 65
Lee Westwood 65
Martin Kaymer 65
Patrick Reed 65
Shane Lowry 75
Brandt Snedeker 80
Francesco Molinari 85
Matthew Fitzpatrick 85
Bill Haas 100
J.B. Holmes 100
Jimmy Walker 100
Si Woo Kim 100
Tyrrell Hatton 100
Adam Hadwin 125
Byeong Hun An 125
Emiliano Grillo 125
Gary Woodland 125
Lucas Glover 125
Marc Leishman 125
Rafael Cabrera Bello 125
Russell Henley 125
Steve Stricker 125
Tommy Fleetwood 125
Zach Johnson 125

Other Players - Each worth 150 Points:

Golfer
Aaron Rai
Alex Smalley
Alexander Levy
Andres Romero
Andrew Johnston
Andy Pope
Angel Cabrera
Ben Kohles
Bernd Wiesberger
Brad Dalke
Bradley Dredge
Brandon Stone
Brendan Steele
Brian Harman
Brian Stuard
Brice Garnett
Bryson DeChambeau
Bud Cauley
Cameron Champ
Chan Kim
Charley Hoffman
Cheng Tsung Pan
Chez Reavie
Chris Crawford
Chris Wood
Corey Conners
Daniel Chopra
Daniel Miernicki
Daniel Summerhays
Danny Willett
David Lingmerth
Derek Barron
Dru Love
Eddie Pepperell
Ernie Els
Garrett Osborn
Gene Sauers
George Coetzee
Graeme McDowell
Gregory Bourdy
Hao-tong Li
Harris English
Hideto Tanihara
Jack Maguire
Jamie Lovemark
Jason Kokrak
Jeunghun Wang
Jhonattan Vegas
Jim Furyk
Joaquin Niemann
Joel Stalter
John Oda
Jonathan Randolph
Jordan Niebrugge
JT Poston
Keegan Bradley
Kevin Dougherty
Kevin Na
Kyle Thompson
Martin Laird
Mason Andersen
Matt Wallace
Matthew Campbell
Maverick McNealy
Max Greyserman
Meen Whee Kim
Michael Putnam
Nick Flanagan
Oliver Bekker
Pat Perez
Paul Dunne
Peter Uihlein
Phil Mickelson
Richie Ramsay
Roberto Castro
Roman Robledo
Ross Fisher
Russell Knox
Ryan Brehm
Ryan Palmer
Sahith Theegala
Sam Ryder
Satoshi Kodaira
Scott Gregory
Scott Harvey
Scott Piercy
Scottie Scheffler
Sean O'Hair
Shugo Imahira
Stephan Jaeger
Stewart Cink
Stewart Hagestad
Talor Gooch
Ted Potter, Jr.
Thomas Aiken
Trey Mullinax
Troy Merritt
Tyler Light
Tyson Alexander
Wade Ormsby
Walker Lee
Webb Simpson
Wesley Bryan
William McGirt
Xander Schauffele
Yusaku Miyazato
Yuta Ikeda

Last edited:
I don't completely understand the situation with Phil Mickelson. Isn't there a deadline when you have to say whether you are playing or not? This is completely unfair to his alternate in this case. It is also unfair to have him listed at 150 points in this contest. If there was an earlier deadline for contest entries that could not be changed, I could see having Mickelson at 150, because by picking him you would have a great risk of going with only 5 players....while having a big advantage of getting him for 150 points in the unlikely event that he played. However, all that goes out the window if he announces before the contest deadline that he is going to play and Sleepy gets 75 emails changing their picks to include Mickelson. Personally, I think he should just be taken off the board to eliminate what is going to being a huge headache for Sleepy if Mickelson announced he was playing while people still had time to send in team changes.....which they most certainly would do.

I'm not worried about. There is a very little chance he will play, and an almost zero chance that we know he will play before the first tee time at 7:45. I'm even feeling generous, for the handful of people who have picked Mickelson, I will replace him with alternate Roberto Diaz.

Well....putting the board contest aside....does anyone think it is fair to Roberto Diaz to let Phil Mickelson wait until after the tournament has already begun to decide whether or not he is going to play? This is probably the chance of a lifetime for Diaz...and he has to prepare for the tournament not even knowing until hours before his tee time if he is going to get to play in the tournament?

There should be some kind of a drop-dead time to set the field for the tournament.....and that time shouldn't be the day the tournament is scheduled to begin.

Well....putting the board contest aside....does anyone think it is fair to Roberto Diaz to let Phil Mickelson wait until after the tournament has already begun to decide whether or not he is going to play? This is probably the chance of a lifetime for Diaz...and he has to prepare for the tournament not even knowing until hours before his tee time if he is going to get to play in the tournament?

There should be some kind of a drop-dead time to set the field for the tournament.....and that time shouldn't be the day the tournament is scheduled to begin.

Or he can just prepare like he's playing and if Phil makes it for his tee time suck it up and qualify next year. Not a big deal at all. USGA will know by tomorrow am if Phil will make it or not.

If Diaz wanted to play he should have qualified. The spot is Phil's until he either can or can't take it.

I do wonder if Phil ends up taking his spot he will make sure a few of his sponsors exempt Diaz into a PGA tournament or two.

If Diaz wanted to play he should have qualified. The spot is Phil's until he either can or can't take it.

I do wonder if Phil ends up taking his spot he will make sure a few of his sponsors exempt Diaz into a PGA tournament or two.

I agree with you that the spot is Mickelson's if he wants it. All I'm saying is that there should be a deadline before Thursday morning for him to make that decision. Look at it this way: What if there were 70 people who had qualified for the tournament who were doing what Mickelson is doing and the tournament officials and all the 70 alternates didn't know until Thursday morning who was going to be playing in the tournament? It would be total chaos. Or is Mickelson the only player who is awarded this luxury of deciding on the morning of the tournament if he is going to play? If not, who are the chosen players on that preferred list?

This is a terrible precedent to be setting for future tournaments.

2017 U.S. Open Contest - Entries due 7:45am EST, Thursday 6/15

So many crusades so little time

There isn't a problem here. Everyone has the same timeline. Why would 70 people be up in the air about playing in a prestigious tournament at the pinnacle of their sport with the potential for a substantial amount of money? It makes no sense.

It's not problematic for "setting precedent" because it's pretty much always been the case and that you are only now worried about it indicates that there is no realistic concern.

Last edited:
I agree with you that the spot is Mickelson's if he wants it. All I'm saying is that there should be a deadline before Thursday morning for him to make that decision. Look at it this way: What if there were 70 people who had qualified for the tournament who were doing what Mickelson is doing and the tournament officials and all the 70 alternates didn't know until Thursday morning who was going to be playing in the tournament? It would be total chaos. Or is Mickelson the only player who is awarded this luxury of deciding on the morning of the tournament if he is going to play? If not, who are the chosen players on that preferred list?

This is a terrible precedent to be setting for future tournaments.

For pretty much every PGA Tournament an alternate is on-site (and probably a few other alternates). It is uncommon, but not unheard of, for a player to come down sick Thursday morning, hurt himself warming-up, oversleep, have a family emergency etc. and not make the tee-time. The alternates literally hang around the first tee all day and wait to fill out the field.

59 total teams. Most popular players picked are:

Golfer Selections
Dustin Johnson 32
Jordan Spieth 27
Jason Day 17
Rory McIlroy 17
Webb Simpson 15
Steve Stricker 14
Adam Scott 13
Justin Rose 11
Sergio Garcia 11
Kevin Kisner 10