• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-2017 Wake Forest Sports Year Recap

The Orange bowl year was FAR FAR FAR more important to our fanbase and our athletics program than any year of soccer ever could be.

especially when one considers that during the same school year as the Orange Bowl run, the soccer team was #1 in the nation most of the year and made the final 4

Thanks for posting that. It's interesting to review. I didn't know Wake had a wrestling team from 1957 to 1959.

A few other individual accomplishments from this past year - men's tennis won two national championships (Petros Chrysochos in the ITA All-American Tournament and Mansouri/Seraphim in the Indoor Doubles National Championship) and Ian Harkes won the MAC Hermann Trophy for the best player in college soccer.

Holy hell, this is as tone deaf as Wellman during the lowest of lows of the [name redacted] era. What is this enthusiasm you speak of?

I think attendance is a good marker of enthusiasm, and attendance was quite high at the Military Bowl, baseball regionals, Spry Stadium, and the outdoor tennis center. Baseball (> 3000) and men's tennis (> 2000 prior to rain) set all-time single event attendance records.

Would you rather have a Natty in soccer, baseball or tennis or have the men's basketball team advance to the round of 32 (beat K State and beat Cincy, but lose to UCLA)?

Natty in baseball. I still haven't regained significant interest in WFU basketball.

Give me a natty in all three, and you can disband the basketball program. I'm sort of kidding, I think. Maybe.

It was a good year for Wake Forest athletics. It would seem prudent to wait for the results of the Capital One/Directors Cup standings before claiming 2016-17 to be the best ever. Twenty third in 2006-07 is the record.

I imagine much of the enthusiasm arising from this years success is the result of the lack of success the previous six years. The average Cup finish for the past six years is 82. The average Cup finish for the seventeen years prior to that was 44.

Context.

The past year was a step in the right direction. We all hope for continued improvement.

In no way are Director's Cup standings indicative of our atheistic prowess. Re rank on sports we participate in and look at where we are.

In no way are Director's Cup standings indicative of our atheistic prowess.
I knew we had separated from the Baptist State Convention in the 80's, but this is a new initiative to me. Wake Will has really shaken things up.

It was a great sports year. Our best in at least five years. Definitely not the best ever though.

In no way are Director's Cup standings indicative of our atheistic prowess. Re rank on sports we participate in and look at where we are.

You are correct as far as comparing ourselves to other schools - because we play in so few sports. But it is educational to compare our own finish from year to year to understand how our overall athletic performance is improving or regressing.

BTW, we finished this year 62nd, 12th in the ACC - an improvement over recent years but not one of our best.

You are correct as far as comparing ourselves to other schools - because we play in so few sports. But it is educational to compare our own finish from year to year to understand how our overall athletic performance is improving or regressing.

BTW, we finished this year 62nd, 12th in the ACC - an improvement over recent years but not one of our best.

This year is not complete - baseball and track and field have not yet been counted. Wake is currently in 58th place.

I agree that year-to-year Directors' Cup comparisons are informative.

Back