• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best USA Sport Moments of All Time

Miracle on Ice is far behind Jackie Robinson as Jackie changed an entire sport forever and led to huge changes in our country.

Miracle on Ice is also behind Jesse Owens.

Miracle on Ice was a great moment, but it's impact in the US was over not too long after the game.

so we all agree. miracle on ice it is.

Miracle on Ice is far behind Jackie Robinson as Jackie changed an entire sport forever and led to huge changes in our country.

Miracle on Ice is also behind Jesse Owens.

Miracle on Ice was a great moment, but it's impact in the US was over not too long after the game.

karlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Ryder Cup "War By The Shore" at Kiawah. It was the golf equivalent of the modern political scene in terms of contentiousness.

1972 men's basketball team refusing to accept their silver medals.

I love this sleeper pick. Miracle on ice is #1, in the context of the international situation of the times. The FDNY fire house across the street from the USSR consulate, hung a banner with the score on it. Take that, Brezhnev!

Jim McKay couldn't keep a straight face, and they were showing the crowd dancing in the streets of Lake Placid.

Jim McKay couldn't keep a straight face, and they were showing the crowd dancing in the streets of Lake Placid.
Yes even as a twelve-year-old boy I was like holy crap did we win? before the game

wasn't even live when broadcast

Not necessarily to do with sports, but back before the days of computers folks were glued to their TVs for major events and remembered where they were and who they were with. Some of these include the Miracle on Ice, Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and JFK getting shot. Today, most people get there news individually. The group huddle around a tv was a special bonding moment.
So much for nostalgia.

Not necessarily to do with sports, but back before the days of computers folks were glued to their TVs for major events and remembered where they were and who they were with. Some of these include the Miracle on Ice, Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and JFK getting shot. Today, most people get there news individually. The group huddle around a tv was a special bonding moment.
So much for nostalgia.

2016 Cubs fans will disagree with you.

One I enjoy going back and watching is the Mets/Phillies game the night bin Laden was killed (both teams which I hate). I highly suggest watching the ESPN short on it. Not sure what it's called. It was the only sporting event going on in the country at the time (a Sunday night) and included a NY team. Very cool to see the news trickling through the crowd with phones out and fans hugging and chanting while the players have no idea what's going on but just know it's big.

Some of the responses here are weird. I don't think of Gibson's HR or Tiger winning a golf tournament as a "USA sports moment".

Miracle on Ice is first and everything else is vying for second. The women's WC win in 1999 is up there as well.

I agree. If we had gagged the gold medal game, it might have tarnished the luster. But we didn't.

One I enjoy going back and watching is the Mets/Phillies game the night bin Laden was killed (both teams which I hate). I highly suggest watching the ESPN short on it. Not sure what it's called. It was the only sporting event going on in the country at the time (a Sunday night) and included a NY team. Very cool to see the news trickling through the crowd with phones out and fans hugging and chanting while the players have no idea what's going on but just know it's big.

Back