• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most disappointing WF hoops loss? My vote goes to the 1960 ACCT final

2005 ACC Tournament loss to NC State hurts the most personally. My uncle had gotten me tickets and we had rooms booked in DC through the weekend. CP3 suspended, we get run out of the building. I think we stayed to watch UNC lose to Ga Tech in the semifinal, and then left.

Had tickets to the whole weekend as well. We sat in front of two jamokes from Dook who were constantly poking us in the back with their raging clues for JJ Redick. They wore Dook Hawiian shirts the whole weekend. I hope they're both dead.

West Va...Not even close. Cried over the phone with my sister for 2 hours afterwards...She was like 30 at the time and kept saying " it's just not fair" while crying her eyes out. I punched a hole through dry wall.

When we had Clemson beat in Football at Clemson about 5-6 years ago and blew it at the very end, I stabbed my wall with a butcher knife. I think later that day PhysDeac and his babe came over to console me. Not hoops but still a heart breaker.

You're thinking of a game from the season before. Maybe Navy. That was my first and only game @Clemson.

I haven't been around the Deacs as long as most here, but I've seen some really disappointing ones.

It was 1995.

And I would add the 1981 NCAA game against Boston College. That team had proven they could beat just about anyone in the country. But, as was common with so many Tacy teams, it fell apart at the end of the season.

Not one but two Elite Eight teams. WF has only had one other Elite Eight team in the 32 years since he left.

the Stetson coach at the time was a Wake law school grad.
he's currently a friend and neighbor
he got the game organized thru his connections to Wake.
Thought it would be cool for his team to play the big boys. Never expected to win.
Is he still coaching? He should be with that win over [Redacted] on his resume.

I think the Stetson coach was fired at the end of that season.

Creamy, you don't have to be around long to be disappointed.

This whole thread is making me cringe, every time a person mentions a bad loss.... What year was it when we had that talent loaded team under Coach Gaudio, and lost badly to Miami in the first round of the ACC tournament? That team had 3 NBA guys on it, but mentally had mailed it in for some reason- it was a bad loss. But being Butlerized still plagues me...

We lost to Maryland, who packed in a zone and dared us to shoot from the outside. It was brutal. Williams made Dino look like a moron. It wasn't hard.

Butler in 2001 was embarrassing because they had not become Butler, yet. And we got destroyed.

That or WVA as worst.

1977 would have killed me.

To me the most crushing Wake hoops defeat was 1984 regional finals against Houston or the 95 loss to Ok State. I think these were the best chances we had at getting to the National Championship game and they were both crushing losses late in the game.

To me the most crushing Wake hoops defeat was 1984 regional finals against Houston or the 95 loss to Ok State. I think these were the best chances we had at getting to the National Championship game and they were both crushing losses late in the game.

These two plus 1981 then 2005 in terms of chance of getting to Monday night.

the Ok. ST loss is the worst for me because we had a legit national championship team that year and I was sitting in front of a bunch of annoying Jersey dudes (redundant, I know) who knew literally nothing about Wake Forest hoops (we were a number 1 seed that year and had a guy named Tim Duncan).

the Ok. ST loss is the worst for me because we had a legit national championship team that year and I was sitting in front of a bunch of annoying Jersey dudes (redundant, I know) who knew literally nothing about Wake Forest hoops (we were a number 1 seed that year and had a guy named Tim Duncan).

This is similar to my story. I was at a party that night, the only one there with a vested interest in the game but it became clear that it was amusing to troll me by rooting for Oke St and shouting "Biiiiig Country". There's one dude that to this day will shout that at me when we cross paths. One day I'm going to punch him in the throat.

The game that changed my emotional investment in Wake Forest, and sports in general, was the 97 Stanford game. It wasn't a heartbreaking close loss, nor a blowout and it even had a sense of inevitability to it. Still, that was it though, I changed my perspective that college hoops was 18-22 year kids in underwear playing a game rather than the primary driver of happiness or sadness during the Winter.

I have a question about the West Virginia game. Why did Skip send Jamaal Levy to the line to shoot those two technical free throws late in the first half? Levy was a 50% free throw shooter that year and, of course, proceeded to miss both of the free throws.

I have a question about the West Virginia game. Why did Skip send Jamaal Levy to the line to shoot those two technical free throws late in the first half? Levy was a 50% free throw shooter that year and, of course, proceeded to miss both of the free throws.

It was a mistake - Taron Downey was supposed to take them.

lf47c.jpg

LOL. You know how to hurt feelings.

It was a mistake - Taron Downey was supposed to take them.

Obviously it was a mistake.....and a huge one, if we had scored one more point in regulation the game would never have even gone into overtime.....but how does something like that happen? Skip could have stopped the play before Levy went to the line and clarified the situation. The guy with the lowest free throw percentage in the entire 9-man rotation is picked to shoot the team's free throws. He misses both of them, of course, and we go to overtime rather than winning the game in regulation. The rest is history. You're never going to go far in the postseason doing stuff like that.

That wasn't just a mistake, it was an inexcusable mistake. That one thing could have prevented us from going to the Final Four.

Last edited:
Back