• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most disappointing WF hoops loss? My vote goes to the 1960 ACCT final

Obviously it was a mistake.....but how does something like that happen? Skip could have stopped the play before Levy went to the line and clarified the situation.

When you lose an NCAAT game in double overtime, things like that tend to be important.

father-of-troll_o_619032.jpg

the Ok. ST loss is the worst for me because we had a legit national championship team that year and I was sitting in front of a bunch of annoying Jersey dudes (redundant, I know) who knew literally nothing about Wake Forest hoops (we were a number 1 seed that year and had a guy named Tim Duncan).

This was the team that should've won it. Dave Odom's worst loss as a coach because he couldn't figure out how to win with the best big man in the country and a very good team around him. It was LOWF of the highest order.

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to count the surprising wins?

+1. Game literally changed me in terms of how much I let sports affect me. My best friend happened to pass away about 2 weeks later which gave me some perspective. But that loss changed everything for me.

Yep. Combine that with losing the OCC recruiting battle around that time and I haven't felt the same about sports since.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but Duhon shot gets my vote.

+1

Although, I guess I would say the loss to NC State in the tourney after the nut punch that lost us the #1 seed to even put us in that spot is worse to me.

Oh, I was at that game, I lived in DC at the time. I was fairly miserable, and it previewed our next season which somehow was a disaster with two senior studs on the team.

Yeah, this is hard to beat from my era, its worse than I even remembered.

that Duhon buzzer beater is made worse by the fact that WF has won one game on a true buzzer beater (shot in the air, buzzer goes off) in 30+ years, and that was the nut punch game which led to the suspension, 16-point loss at the ACCT, 2 seed, Pittsnoggle/Gansey, 2006 spiral, etc., etc

Two other dick punches were cc Harrison ( I think?) for state and laron profit for Maryland. Both during the Duncan era

Both shouldn't have been losses for differing reasons.

The '77 loss to Marquette in the regional finals is the one that haunts me. Screw Bernard Toone. Screw Al McGuire's swan song. Screw my friend who got married during the first half (a lot of wires running up to ears in that sanctuary). However, what really disturbs me is this.

We would have played Carolina, against whom we were 2-1, and UNC-Charlotte, against whom we were 1-0 (one hell of a game).

Damn!

that Duhon buzzer beater is made worse by the fact that WF has won one game on a true buzzer beater (shot in the air, buzzer goes off) in 30+ years, and that was the nut punch game which led to the suspension, 16-point loss at the ACCT, 2 seed, Pittsnoggle/Gansey, 2006 spiral, etc., etc

Ish Smith/Texas NCAA? I think that was a buzzer goes off moment.

And we got Duke back with James Johnson. Not a buzzer goes off, but .8 is darn close.

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to count the surprising wins?

The wins over ranked teams in the last two years of the redacted era were a brutal exercise in conflicting emotions.

Duhon would bother me a lot more if we didn't finally get them when I was a senior in the double OT J-Gray facemask game which is probably the best game I ever attended (beating out the ass-whipping we laid on Kansas a couple years before that)

Ish Smith/Texas NCAA? I think that was a buzzer goes off moment.

And we got Duke back with James Johnson. Not a buzzer goes off, but .8 is darn close.

no, 1.3 seconds still on the clock after Ish made his shot

I know I'm being picky but nut punch is the only true buzzer beater for the win in a long time

Didn't we have a lob to the basket from out of bounds to win a game at the buzzer against UNCW one year?

Back