• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most disappointing WF hoops loss? My vote goes to the 1960 ACCT final

Shit guys this thread is really getting depressing. Maybe a thread for happiest endings to Wake games could be cool.

The sad thing is, for most Wake fans, all of these memories are vivid. It's impossible to move on from some of our historical losses.

Definitely WVU

However - was it 2016 that UVA beat us with that buzzer beater bank 3? Only thing that doesn't make that one of the worst most heart breaking losses all time for us is the fact that it really didn't matter at all in the scheme of how the season was going. But, in terms of one game standing alone in a vacuum? That was brutal.

Definitely WVU

However - was it 2016 that UVA beat us with that buzzer beater bank 3? Only thing that doesn't make that one of the worst most heart breaking losses all time for us is the fact that it really didn't matter at all in the scheme of how the season was going. But, in terms of one game standing alone in a vacuum? That was brutal.

yeah we were up 7 with like 21 seconds and before that we were up 11 with 55 seconds IIRC...Brogdon went unconscious then down 2 with the ball as time expired, Thompson hit a corner bank 2 over Devin to win by 1 at the buzzer.

None of that would have happened if we had Collins on the floor.

1 - Okie State
2 - WVU
3 - Stanford
Honorable mention - The ACC tourney game against UNC when we fouled up 3 at the end and ended up losing...
Other honorable mentions - the million other times we have been ahead of UNC late in the game and choked it away...

Auburn was pretty bad - not a devastating ending or anything, but that was a solid squad with an elite J-Ho. Never should have lost that early.

Auburn was pretty bad - not a devastating ending or anything, but that was a solid squad with an elite J-Ho. Never should have lost that early.

I was there for the first round game against ETSU too..We are LUCKY we didn't lose that game. I still remember a cat named Zakee Wadood continually killing us on the glass while Danelius sat there and watched.

Last edited:
1a. 2016 NCAA Championship. Wake Forest vs. Stanford (who has knocked us out the year before on a Jordan Morris goal). They miss a pk, we get the 5th taker (Partain) who then misses. Hurt so bad. Stanford then makes, and then a Dunwell miss and it's over. 5-4 PKs. Brutal way to lose.

1b. WVU

Not the most disappointing game (no comparison to Mike bleeping Gansey) but in the discussion: When Trent Strickland had a breakaway dunk at Cameron early in the second half with a lead and clanged it off the rim, completely changing the momentum and allowing Dook to come back. I can't recall the year. Seems like it was a weeknight game.

Not the most disappointing game (no comparison to Mike bleeping Gansey) but in the discussion: When Trent Strickland had a breakaway dunk at Cameron early in the second half with a lead and clanged it off the rim, completely changing the momentum and allowing Dook to come back. I can't recall the year. Seems like it was a weeknight game.

Believe it was at home against Duke on Sunday night in 2005-06. Possibly our first ACC game of the season. Entire game and season derailed from there.

Redick came down and dropped a 3 on us. Jan 2006. Not sure the day.

Childress had 2 buzzer beaters in Cameron iirc. 94 and 95

Childress had 2 buzzer beaters in Cameron iirc. 94 and 95

no - 1994 was with 12 seconds to go; that was the 3 originally called a 2 and then reversed after the buzzer (after Duke failed to score)

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/01/13/Wake-Forest-69-No-2-Duke-68/8177304785920/

1995 he scored with 6 seconds to go, Duke took timeout, Capel dribbled up and launched a brick at the buzzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzt7j0U3Gg

both satisfying wins but not buzzer beaters

no - 1994 was with 12 seconds to go; that was the 3 originally called a 2 and then reversed after the buzzer (after Duke failed to score)

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/01/13/Wake-Forest-69-No-2-Duke-68/8177304785920/

1995 he scored with 6 seconds to go, Duke took timeout, Capel dribbled up and launched a brick at the buzzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzt7j0U3Gg

both satisfying wins but not buzzer beaters

As I recall in the 1994 game, the refs called it a three but the scoreboard operator only put 2 points up. So Duke thought the game was tied but Childress knew we had won.

That 1960 loss to Duke most surely cost us an ACC championship which would have turned into 3 in a row as we got it in '61 & '62. It was big, and I'd bet not 10% of the people on this board knew/know much or anything about it.

Last edited:
That 1960 loss to Duke most surely cost us an ACC championship which would have turned into 3 in a row as we got it in '61 & '62. It was big, and I'd bet not 10% of the people on this board knew/know much or anything about it.

Probably because not 10% of the people on this board were born yet.

Back