• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most disappointing WF hoops loss? My vote goes to the 1960 ACCT final

Believe it was at home against Duke on Sunday night in 2005-06. Possibly our first ACC game of the season. Entire game and season derailed from there.

Yep Sunday night fox sports hoops game at home. I remember feeling deflated at home.

Not the most disappointing game (no comparison to Mike bleeping Gansey) but in the discussion: When Trent Strickland had a breakaway dunk at Cameron early in the second half with a lead and clanged it off the rim, completely changing the momentum and allowing Dook to come back. I can't recall the year. Seems like it was a weeknight game.

Believe it was at home against Duke on Sunday night in 2005-06. Possibly our first ACC game of the season. Entire game and season derailed from there.

Defs a home game. I went apoplectic.

Yep Sunday night fox sports hoops game at home. I remember feeling deflated at home.

January 8, 2006

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010806aab.html

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - J.J. Redick had plenty of help, even if he appeared to be a one-man team at times.
With old nemesis Chris Paul watching from a front-row seat, Redick scored 32 points to help No. 1 Duke hold off Wake Forest 82-64 Sunday night, leaving the Blue Devils one of only three unbeaten teams in Division I.

Lee Melchionni added 17 points for Duke (14-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference), which played a large part of the game without star center Shelden Williams. He picked up his third foul with about 5 minutes left in the first half, then got his fourth soon after the break. Williams played only 17 minutes but hardly was missed, thanks mostly to Redick. He finished 12-of-21 from the field - 5-of-13 on 3-pointers - against a variety of defenses used by the 23rd-ranked Demon Deacons (11-3, 0-1). A handful of players tried guarding Redick man-to-man, and when that failed, they went to a seldom-used triangle-and-two. Even that didn't stop Redick, who scored at least 30 points for the fifth time this season. He also moved into fourth on the career scoring list at Duke, passing Mark Alarie and Danny Ferry while closing in on Mike Gminski for third place.

Wake Forest center Eric Williams took advantage of Shelden Williams' absence to score 17 points, and Justin Gray matched that total. It still wasn't enough for the Deacons, who honored Paul at halftime as the school's male athlete of the year. Before the game, the New Orleans Hornets rookie guard took the court along with former teammates Taron Downey and Jamaal Levy to urge the crowd to be as raucous as possible. Paul then moved to a seat among the fans in the first row across from Duke's bench, looking dapper in a dark suit.

In the end, none of it mattered. Wake Forest had its best chance at a comeback early in the second half, when four consecutive points from Gray cut the deficit to three. Greg Paulus got loose for a layup on the other end, and later, when Redick missed a 3, Trent Strickland had a breakaway that would have made it 53-50.

But he missed a reverse dunk, and Redick - who else? - swished a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession. Later, with the shot clock winding down, freshman Josh McRoberts took only his second shot of the season from beyond the arc. It caught nothing but net, and suddenly the Blue Devils were up 11 and cruising.
They got a spark from the return of DeMarcus Nelson, who missed the previous nine games with a broken ankle. He had two points in limited playing time.

January 8, 2006

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - J.J. Redick had plenty of help, even if he appeared to be a one-man team at times.
With old nemesis Chris Paul watching from a front-row seat, Redick scored 32 points to help No. 1 Duke hold off Wake Forest 82-64 Sunday night, leaving the Blue Devils one of only three unbeaten teams in Division I.

Lee Melchionni added 17 points for Duke (14-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference), which played a large part of the game without star center Shelden Williams. He picked up his third foul with about 5 minutes left in the first half, then got his fourth soon after the break. Williams played only 17 minutes but hardly was missed, thanks mostly to Redick. He finished 12-of-21 from the field - 5-of-13 on 3-pointers - against a variety of defenses used by the 23rd-ranked Demon Deacons (11-3, 0-1). A handful of players tried guarding Redick man-to-man, and when that failed, they went to a seldom-used triangle-and-two. Even that didn't stop Redick, who scored at least 30 points for the fifth time this season. He also moved into fourth on the career scoring list at Duke, passing Mark Alarie and Danny Ferry while closing in on Mike Gminski for third place.

Wake Forest center Eric Williams took advantage of Shelden Williams' absence to score 17 points, and Justin Gray matched that total. It still wasn't enough for the Deacons, who honored Paul at halftime as the school's male athlete of the year. Before the game, the New Orleans Hornets rookie guard took the court along with former teammates Taron Downey and Jamaal Levy to urge the crowd to be as raucous as possible. Paul then moved to a seat among the fans in the first row across from Duke's bench, looking dapper in a dark suit.

In the end, none of it mattered. Wake Forest had its best chance at a comeback early in the second half, when four consecutive points from Gray cut the deficit to three. Greg Paulus got loose for a layup on the other end, and later, when Redick missed a 3, Trent Strickland had a breakaway that would have made it 53-50.

But he missed a reverse dunk, and Redick - who else? - swished a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession. Later, with the shot clock winding down, freshman Josh McRoberts took only his second shot of the season from beyond the arc. It caught nothing but net, and suddenly the Blue Devils were up 11 and cruising.
They got a spark from the return of DeMarcus Nelson, who missed the previous nine games with a broken ankle. He had two points in limited playing time.

Lol. I was at that game. I was coming on here to post that one. Pretty surprised this thread is only 5 pages long.

Also I could of sworn it was a 360 dunk and not a reverse, but maybe memory escapes me.

Google wizard!

I was at that game, too. Got a phone call from George Ritchie just before I walked out the door to leave for the game.

JAN 08 - 2006 Sunday; George Ritchie called me this afternoon, just before Bob Wilhoit & I left for Winston-Salem to see Duke beat WF 82-64

Two other dick punches were cc Harrison ( I think?) for state and laron profit for Maryland. Both during the Duncan era

Both shouldn't have been losses for differing reasons.

I stumbled upon the Laron Profit shot on YouTube yesterday or the day before. Still a kick in the balls.

Along with those two games, Duke won at UVa on a blatant officiating error. The refs cost us 2.5 games in the standings. Cost us the #1 ACCT seed. Probably cost us a higher seed in the NCAAs.

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dmjun2b0JBP8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ1OL0xsvVAhUhrFQKHYCHCaUQwqsBCB8wAA&usg=AFQjCNEoKRq73oDgbWHzJ0zVUBwU9T3r3g[/video]

Link for people who need better vibes!

West Virginia March 2005. Great offensive effort by the team. Terrible defensive effort in the second half by the team. Absolutely horrendous coaching effort by Skip Prosser the entire game. Allowed Jamal Levy to shoot 2 T's in the 1st half instead of CP3 or Taron Downey [with them both tapping him on the shoulder to remind him of the rule]. Skip late in the game calling an offensive play for Big E during a TO when he was out of the game standing around the huddle. Chris Ellis tapped him on the huddle to tell him Big E wasn't in the game. We talk about Grobe squatting pulling grass during games, this game Skip was doing nothing but drinking cups of water, totally being outcoached by John Beilein.

Two other dick punches were cc Harrison ( I think?) for state and laron profit for Maryland. Both during the Duncan era

Both shouldn't have been losses for differing reasons.

can't talk about those buzzer beaters without also mentioning the buzzer beater that wasn't - the shot from Larue at Georgia Tech in 1996 that came 0.1 seconds too late (just like Profit's, but ruled correctly) that would have given the Deacs the outright ACC regular season title

that game came less than 48 hours after Duncan and Rutland both played 40 minutes at Maryland and the team had to deal with nasty weather (and maybe slashed bus tires in College Park?) and arrived in Atlanta well after midnight the day of the early afternoon game

January 8, 2006

"Lee Melchionni added 17 points for Duke" I couldn't read the article after this

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dmjun2b0JBP8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ1OL0xsvVAhUhrFQKHYCHCaUQwqsBCB8wAA&usg=AFQjCNEoKRq73oDgbWHzJ0zVUBwU9T3r3g[/video]

Link for people who need better vibes!

No music, and grainy, non-HD video. My vibes are still down.

Now my vibes are throbbing. One of the better atmospheres/endings I've witnessed at a sporting event.

Last edited:
Not the most disappointing game (no comparison to Mike bleeping Gansey) but in the discussion: When Trent Strickland had a breakaway dunk at Cameron early in the second half with a lead and clanged it off the rim, completely changing the momentum and allowing Dook to come back. I can't recall the year. Seems like it was a weeknight game.

Thanks to all who have corrected my memories of the game. I was castigated on a different thread a couple of years ago for citing Trent as a prime example of someone who didn't live up to his recruiting ranking. On further review, that one missed dunk likely plays too much of a role in my making that assessment.

No music, and grainy, non-HD video. My vibes are still down.

Now my vibes are throbbing. One of the better atmospheres/endings I've witnessed at a sporting event.
Pretty good but IMO the Deacon walking the bike out slowly is a little anti-climactic. Better when he can ride out like on the football field. Of course it is never a bad thing when you can make Coach K complain about exhaust fumes.

Probably because not 10% of the people on this board were born yet.

Dickie Hemric and Len Chappell were two of the greatest players in WF history....and a significant percentage of posters on this board doesn't even know how to spell their names. Hemric will invariably be spelled Hemrick, and I've seen Len Chappell spelled Lyn Chappell, Len Chapel, Len Chapell & Len Chappel.

I wasn't born when George Washington or Abe Lincoln were president, either....but I can spell their names correctly.

A lot of folks are refusing to take L's in the recruiting thread. Whenever somebody loses, that's going to be one hell of a Wake hoops-related loss.

This year's Duke game...three straight 3's to end the game, really

No doubt it was the Oklahoma State game. The bracket was never set up so well for us to make a Final Four. I drove up that morning and Wake had a strong contingent there. I just sat through the UMass-Tulsa game dumbfounded. Wake was a basket away a few times from creating some separation but banked in threes doomed us. Duncan ate Big Country's lunch that night.

Cleveland State, where my sister and brother in law earned post graduate degrees. I didn't say a word. They didn't say a word. Just smiled and shook their heads.

Back