• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most disappointing WF hoops loss? My vote goes to the 1960 ACCT final

bobknightfan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Since it was so long ago, the unlikely 63-59 loss to Duke in the 1960 ACCT final game doesn't mean much to most board posters, but for me.....even 57 years after it happened....it remains as WF's most disappointing basketball loss. The Scoreboard Game will always be in the mix due to the circumstances (8-point lead with 52 seconds to play, scoreboard call, technical foul in the last minute of overtime, etc)...but that 1975 team wasn't going anywhere, anyway. It would have likely lost the next day. I believe that the 1960 team though....but for a last minute scouffle involving Dave Budd in the semi-final against Everett Case's Wolfpack that was reminiscent of Coach K's tactics against Chris Paul at Durham in 2005....could well have gone on to become WF's first team to reach the Final Four. At that time you only had to win 3 games to get to the F4 and the Deacs were red-hot.

By the end of the 1960 season WF was a powerful team with four double-digit scorers in seniors Dave Budd & George Ritchie and sophs Len Chappell & Billy Packer. Chappell was a future ACC POY & All-American and Budd & Packer both made All-ACC during their careers at Wake. Sharp-shooting junior Alley Hart from Kinston was the 5th starter. There was also a solid bench with seniors Charlie Forte & Twig Wiggins and soph Tommy McCoy. The Deacs entered that ACCT final game as co-ACC regular season champs with UNC (12-2 records) and riding a 10-game winning streak. They had already destroyed Duke, who finished 4th in the ACC at 7-7, by 17 & 19 points during their two regular season games. When Duke upset Carolina in the first semi-final game, I felt...like most WF fans....that the tournament was ours. Then came that last minute fight in the next semi-final game between Dave Budd and NC State players who had been trying to get him into a fight for the entire game until he finally snapped. Budd had been involved in the infamous brawl with UNC's Lee Shaffer at Memorial Coliseum the previous year and was placed on probation by the conference with the stipulation that if he was in another fight he would be suspended. Nobody knew until his suspension was lifted a couple of hours before Saturday night's final game whether or not he would be allowed to play....or how he would be received by the fans if he was.

I still remember listening to the opening introductions on the radio (no TV for that game) when after a smattering of boos, Budd received an extended standing ovation from the fans. Bones McKinney has famously stated that this event "turned our team into a bunch of pussycats". Bones said that we could have beaten Duke easily without Budd...and I think he was right. In Vic Bubas' first year at Duke they were not yet the powerhouse that they would soon become with players like Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Art Heyman & Bob Verga, etc. As I said, they finished only 7-7 in the ACC that year and had to beat South Carolina in the #4/#5 nightcap of the opening round to even get to their huge upset of Carolina the next night. For some unexplained reason, though, Wake went completely flat after that standing ovation for Dave Budd. Maybe it was overconfidence. Maybe it was an off night (for example, George Ritchie, who had scored 27 points against the Blue Devils just two weeks earlier in an 83-64 win at Cameron, was only 3 for 16 from the floor). Maybe it was an early indication of what a great coach that Vic Bubas was going to become. Most likely it was a combination of all of those things. At any rate, I truly believe that this game may have prevented WF from reaching its first Final Four in the school's history.

Last edited:
West Va...Not even close. Cried over the phone with my sister for 2 hours afterwards...She was like 30 at the time and kept saying " it's just not fair" while crying her eyes out. I punched a hole through dry wall.

When we had Clemson beat in Football at Clemson about 5-6 years ago and blew it at the very end, I stabbed my wall with a butcher knife. I think later that day PhysDeac and his babe came over to console me. Not hoops but still a heart breaker.

Tony Rutland missing from the corner vs Oklahoma St in the '94 eastern regionals. Would've played Calipari and UMASS in the finals.

Since it was so long ago, the unlikely 63-59 loss to Duke in the 1960 ACCT final game doesn't mean much to most board posters, but for me.....even 57 years after it happened....it remains as WF's most disappointing basketball loss. The Scoreboard Game will always be in the mix due to the circumstances (8-point lead with 52 seconds to play, scoreboard call, technical foul in the last minute of overtime, etc)...but that 1975 team wasn't going anywhere, anyway. It would have likely lost the next day. I believe that the 1960 team though....but for a last minute scouffle involving Dave Budd in the semi-final against Everett Case's Wolfpack that was reminiscent of Coach K's tactics against Chris Paul at Durham in 2005....could well have gone on to become WF's first team to reach the Final Four. At that time you only had to win 3 games to get to the F4 and the Deacs were red-hot.

By the end of the 1960 season WF was a powerful team with four double-digit scorers in seniors Dave Budd & George Ritchie and sophs Len Chappell & Billy Packer. Chappell was a future ACC POY & All-American and Budd & Packer both made All-ACC during their careers at Wake. Sharp-shooting junior Alley Hart from Kinston was the 5th starter. There was also a solid bench with seniors Charlie Forte & Twig Wiggins and soph Tommy McCoy. The Deacs entered that ACCT final game as co-ACC regular season champs with UNC (12-2 records) and riding a 10-game winning streak. They had already destroyed Duke, who finished 4th in the ACC at 7-7, by 17 & 19 points during their two regular season games. When Duke upset Carolina in the first semi-final game, I felt...like most WF fans....that the tournament was ours. Then came that last minute fight in the next semi-final game between Dave Budd and NC State players who had been trying to get him into a fight for the entire game until he finally snapped. Budd had been involved in the infamous brawl with UNC's Lee Shaffer at Memorial Coliseum the previous year and was placed on probation by the conference with the stipulation that if he was in another fight he would be suspended. Nobody knew until his suspension was lifted a couple of hours before Saturday night's final game whether or not he would be allowed to play....or how he would be received by the fans if he was.

I still remember listening to the opening introductions on the radio (no TV for that game) when after a smattering of boos, Budd received an extended standing ovation from the fans. Bones McKinney has famously stated that this event "turned our team into a bunch of pussycats". Bones said that we could have beaten Duke easily without Budd...and I think he was right. In Vic Bubas' first year at Duke they were not yet the powerhouse that they would soon become with players like Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Art Heyman & Bob Verga, etc. As I said, they finished only 7-7 in the ACC that year and had to beat South Carolina in the #4/#5 nightcap of the opening round to even get to their huge upset of Carolina the next night. For some unexplained reason, though, Wake went completely flat after that standing ovation for Dave Budd. Maybe it was overconfidence. Maybe it was an off night (Ritchie was only 3 for 16 from the floor). Maybe it was an opening indication of what a great coach that Vic Bubas was going to become. Most likely it was a combination of all of those things. At any rate, I truly believe that this game may have prevented WF from reaching its first Final Four in the school's history.

ETA: And for the rest of that story, as Paul Harvey would say. The Deacs got their revenge over the Blue Devils in the ACCT championship game the very next year....even though they had lost Budd & Ritchie and Duke had added Art Heyman, who scored 26 points in the game. Led by Len Chappell's 33 points and Billy Packer's 16 points, Wake thrashed Duke for the title.....leading by 42-33 at the half before stretching their lead to 20 points in the 2nd half and winning the game 96-81.

Part of a marvelous 5-year run for Bones' Deacs as they played in the ACCT championship game every year from 1960 thru 1964.

West Va...Not even close. Cried over the phone with my sister for 2 hours afterwards...She was like 30 at the time and kept saying " it's just not fair" while crying her eyes out. I punched a hole through dry wall.

When we had Clemson beat in Football at Clemson about 5-6 years ago and blew it at the very end, I stabbed my wall with a butcher knife. I think later that day PhysDeac and his babe came over to console me. Not hoops but still a heart breaker.

Can you get homeowners insurance for losses due to game losses?

My Top 5 WF disappointing losses:

1) 1960 ACCT Finals: Duke 63, WF 59 (already discussed)

2) 1975 ACCT 1st Round: Carolina 101, WF 100 (OT) The Scoreboard Game. Led by 8 points with 52 seconds to play. Scoreboard call with 28 seconds left negated a basket that would have given Deacs a 6-point lead and put Skip Brown on the line to make it 7. Hoffman shot tied it at the buzzer. Technical foul called on Wake in last 28 seconds of overtime for not forcing the action in tie game provided the free throw for UNC's 101-100 win.

3) 1957 ACCT Semi-Finals: Carolina 61, WF 59. Deacs led 25-0 Tar Heels 59-58 with less than a minute to play before controversial block call on Wendall Carr against Len Rosenbluth.

4) 1957 WF Senior Night: Carolina 69, WF 64. Wake led 23-0 Tar Heels by 8 points in 2nd half, and by 64-63 with 46 seconds left in the game, even though Jack Williams & Wendall Carr had fouled out with more than nine minutes left in the game.

5) 1977 Midwest Regional Finals at Oklahoma City: Marquette 82, WF 68. Deacs led 35-31 at the half in an attempt to get Wake to the Final Four for the 2nd time in the school's history.

ETA: And for the rest of that story, as Paul Harvey would say. The Deacs got their revenge over the Blue Devils in the ACCT championship game the very next year....even though they had lost Budd & Ritchie and Duke had added Art Heyman, who scored 26 points in the game. Led by Len Chappell's 33 points and Billy Packer's 16 points, Wake thrashed Duke for the title.....leading by 42-33 at the half before stretching their lead to 20 points in the 2nd half and winning the game 96-81.

Part of a marvelous 5-year run for Bones' Deacs as they played in the ACCT championship game every year from 1960 thru 1964.

Is quoting yourself the equivalent of what Steve Bannon does in the White House with his cock?

Also, couldn't go back any further than 1960? What about the 1864 loss to Duke (46-43) where our top 3 players were lost while fighting Sherman on his way to the Georgia coast. Duke was missing 2 players as well, but still, our toughest loss.

Is quoting yourself the equivalent of what Steve Bannon does in the White House with his cock?

Also, couldn't go back any further than 1960? What about the 1864 loss to Duke (46-43) where our top 3 players were lost while fighting Sherman on his way to the Georgia coast. Duke was missing 2 players as well, but still, our toughest loss.

Sorry, that was an accident. I meant to edit the original post and didn't realize until I submitted it that I had hit reply instead of edit. (Had even begun the post with "ETA".)

2009 NCAA loss to Cleveland St. or getting Butlerized in 2001.

Both just painful and embarrassing.

This whole thread is making me cringe, every time a person mentions a bad loss.... What year was it when we had that talent loaded team under Coach Gaudio, and lost badly to Miami in the first round of the ACC tournament? That team had 3 NBA guys on it, but mentally had mailed it in for some reason- it was a bad loss. But being Butlerized still plagues me...

Tony Rutland missing from the corner vs Oklahoma St in the '94 eastern regionals. Would've played Calipari and UMASS in the finals.

It was 1995.

And I would add the 1981 NCAA game against Boston College. That team had proven they could beat just about anyone in the country. But, as was common with so many Tacy teams, it fell apart at the end of the season.

It was 1995.

And I would add the 1981 NCAA game against Boston College. That team had proven they could beat just about anyone in the country. But, as was common with so many Wake forest teams, it fell apart at the end of the season.

Fify

the Stetson coach at the time was a Wake law school grad.
he's currently a friend and neighbor
he got the game organized thru his connections to Wake.
Thought it would be cool for his team to play the big boys. Never expected to win.

2005 ACC Tournament loss to NC State hurts the most personally. My uncle had gotten me tickets and we had rooms booked in DC through the weekend. CP3 suspended, we get run out of the building. I think we stayed to watch UNC lose to Ga Tech in the semifinal, and then left.

This whole thread is making me cringe, every time a person mentions a bad loss.... What year was it when we had that talent loaded team under Coach Gaudio, and lost badly to Miami in the first round of the ACC tournament? That team had 3 NBA guys on it, but mentally had mailed it in for some reason- it was a bad loss. But being Butlerized still plagues me...

Miami ended the season with a better kenpom rating than us. They were similar to the 2006 wake team. a dangerous talented team that underachieved in the regular season.

Back