• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 Greatest Black Athletes

You don't see that kind of basketball anymore, which is why I no longer have any desire to go to another basketball game or even to watch one on television. I care nothing about watching a bunch of showoffs with poor fundamentals and a shitty attitude.

Teams that play that brand of basketball get run out of the gym. If it still worked, everyone would do it. Things change. The "culture" you seem to be in conflict with has nothing to do with quality of basketball.

How sweet would it be to watch a modern-day all-star team play a BKF nostalgia era all-star team and just run them out of the building? I'd pay my way to Randleman to sit in BKF's free house to watch that one with him.

GS and SA play amazing fundamental basketball with updated styles to play by the new rules. Those two teams are basically modern versions of the Hotlzman Knicks.

There's no question players are more bigger and more athletic today than they were in the 60s/70s. But it's not apples to apples. If you gave the older guys today's training methods, the difference would not be as big as you think it is.

The #1 villain in the lowering of the standard of play in college and pro basketball is Sonny Vaccaro. He gave pimps a bad name.

Teams that play that brand of basketball get run out of the gym. If it still worked, everyone would do it. Things change. The "culture" you seem to be in conflict with has nothing to do with quality of basketball.

The two teams with the best fundamentals in the NBA had the two best records last season.

How sweet would it be to watch a modern-day all-star team play a BKF nostalgia era all-star team and just run them out of the building? I'd pay my way to Randleman to sit in BKF's free house to watch that one with him.

It wouldn't happen if the rules of the game were enforced. Today's teams would run out of players before the game was over. The reason why physical strength has such an advantage over fundamentals today is that players are allowed to get away with continuous illegal contact. If those guys had to play the game by the rules of the game it would be a far different situation....and a far better game. What you evidently like to watch is a glorified rugby match. WWW with rims, if you will. And that's where the game of basketball is today, so you win. Showtime. Players playing for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey. (By the way, there were no names on the back of the jersey with Bob Knight's teams. Everyone on the team was playing for Indiana.)

And Bob Knight was in 8 NCAA Final Fours as a coach or a player and his teams won 4 NCAA Championships.....so his approach to the game of basketball evidently worked pretty well.

Bob Knight was a scrub at O$U. He was a terrible shooter and a terrible FT shooter. His "approach" in college was to sit on the bench and cheer.

Shitty poll>shitty arguments. This thread might just be the shittiest of shitty threads on ogboards dot com.

99% of the time old/white people complain about the NBA, it is steeped in implicit racism. "I love basketball when my elite white institution can make money off free labor and sell me tee shirts and raise the profile of my education for the benefit of my resume. But as soon as those greedy fucks try to earn a living, nah."

Obviously. They also had the best talent. Weird how those two things coincide with winning championships.

Look at styles they played. I'm not talking about Cleveland. They didn't have one of the two best records.

Bob Knight was a scrub at O$U. He was a terrible shooter and a terrible FT shooter. His "approach" in college was to sit on the bench and cheer.

Bob knight was not a scrub. He was a reserve on a team that was an incredible class. OSU went to the final game all 3 years he played. All 5 starters were drafted and 3 are in the nba HOF. While being a star in HS, he wasn't at Ohio State. Not the first state hero who should have went to a smaller college.

While he didn't get a lot of minutes he played in almost every game. Not sure where you got your numbers but he shot about 40% which is not bad for the day for a forward. He really didn't get to the line enough to call him "a terrible FT shooter." Since you are into stats he lead the team in free throw percentage his senior at about 82%. He also had a key basket in that championship game with under 2 minutes left. Scrubs don't play under 2 minutes!

Bob Knight's understanding of the game far surpassed his ability to play the game. (happens a lot with coaches) We see that in all walks of life. Another example is Obama in reverse, his education far surpassed his intelligence.

Last edited:
He did shoot 82% on the FT line his senior year. He was 9-11 for the entire season! He shot 60.3% for the other two seasons. In his entire career he took 64 FTS. In three years, he took a total of 299 FGA. He averaged under 4 ppg.

He played on a great team, but he wasn't any good.

Bob knight was not a scrub. He was a reserve on a team that was an incredible class. OSU went to the final game all 3 years he played. All 5 starters were drafted and 3 are in the nba HOF. While being a star in HS, he wasn't at Ohio State. Not the first state hero who should have went to a smaller college.

While he didn't get a lot of minutes he played in almost every game. Not sure where you got your numbers but he shot about 40% which is not bad for the day for a forward. He really didn't get to the line enough to call him "a terrible FT shooter." Since you are into stats he lead the team in free throw percentage his senior at about 82%. He also had a key basket in that championship game with under 2 minutes left. Scrubs don't play under 2 minutes!

Bob Knight's understanding of the game far surpassed his ability to play the game. (happens a lot with coaches) We see that in all walks of life. Another example is Obama in reverse, his education far surpassed his intelligence.

Great post. It never hurts to be part of a winning program even if you are not a starter on the team. As you said, those 1960-62 IU teams each played the the NCAA Championship game. The 1960 team, in particular, was awesome...with Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Mel Nowell & Larry Siegfried, etc. It remains as the only team to win every game in the NCAA Tournament by at least 15 points. There is a school of thought that maybe reserve players on their college team even have an advantage later in their coaching career and can become better coaches than players who were star players on the team. Dean Smith had a similar situation when he played at Kansas. The reasoning is that such players have more opportunity to watch the coaching strategy from the bench than they would playing on the court. It worked out very well for Knight & Smith, anyway.

Cast Knight's 3 Final Fours & NCAA Championship as a player aside, if you wish. He still had 5 NCAA Final Fours & 3 NCAA Championships, 11 Big Ten Conference Championships & 900+ wins as a coach. And he accomplished all of that without having a Sam Gilbert in the shadows buying players for him. He also had a protégé whom he coached at West Point, mentored as an IU assistant...and recommended for the job at Duke when Duke AD Tom Butters called Knight about hiring him for the Duke job...who has coached teams to 12 Final Fours with 5 NCAA Championships, 14 ACC Championships & 1,071 wins.

Together for those two men that is a coaching record of 17 Final Fours, 8 NCAA Championships, 25 Conference Championships & nearly 2,000 wins.

You can see how a WF fan could legitimately belittle the accomplishments of these two men. After all, WF did make a Final Four.....55 years ago.

Here is a good non-sports article that compares & contrasts the management styles of Bob Knight & Coach K from a business managerial point of view:

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/on-managing-with-bobby-knight-and-coach-k

Did you carpool with BKF to Charlottesville?

giphy.gif

Oh for the love of god, even if you don't agree with Obama's politic, when you question his intelligence you just come off as an old bitter racist.

A point of reference for Knight's soph year, the team averaged 90.4 ppg. He averaged 3.7 ppg. The next year they averaged 85.1/Knight 4.4; 83.7/3.2.

Sorry, if your team scores that much and you never average 5ppg, you are a scrub...unless you are averaging 8 apg or 10 rpg, neither of which Knight came close to.

A point of reference for Knight's soph year, the team averaged 90.4 ppg. He averaged 3.7 ppg. The next year they averaged 85.1/Knight 4.4; 83.7/3.2.

Sorry, if your team scores that much and you never average 5ppg, you are a scrub...unless you are averaging 8 apg or 10 rpg, neither of which Knight came close to.

So, he was the Miles Overton of his team? Every team needs one, I suppose.

A scrub is a player who rarely plays if ever.

Thanks for not calling me a racist, though. lol Somehow, I became a racist according to many on this board over my opinion on Bob knight's playing time. Sort of shows the mind set of young liberals today. Anyone who doesn't agree with us is a racist...sad

Back