• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 Greatest Black Athletes

Thanks for implying I'm young.

A scrub is a marginal player. Knight was a marginal player at O$U. It's one thing not to score, but not to put up any numbers shows you aren't much of a player.

Of course, I loved your concept that someone who took 11 FTs for a team that played 28 games would qualify as the "leading FT shooter".

A point of reference for Knight's soph year, the team averaged 90.4 ppg. He averaged 3.7 ppg. The next year they averaged 85.1/Knight 4.4; 83.7/3.2.

Sorry, if your team scores that much and you never average 5ppg, you are a scrub...unless you are averaging 8 apg or 10 rpg, neither of which Knight came close to.

Wow! I guess that 1960 Ohio State team would have ran last years North Carolina championship team off the court. They only averaged 84 points a game, and had a shot clock along with a 3 point shot. Statistics sure can be fun. :)

A scrub is a player who rarely plays if ever.

Thanks for not calling me a racist, though. lol Somehow, I became a racist according to many on this board over my opinion on Bob knight's playing time. Sort of shows the mind set of young liberals today. Anyone who doesn't agree with us is a racist...sad

Yes, it was due to your opinion about Bob Knight's playing time. :plos:

And I am not young, and not really a liberal either. More a moderate.

Wow! I guess that 1960 Ohio State team would have ran last years North Carolina championship team off the court. They only averaged 84 points a game, and had a shot clock along with a 3 point shot. Statistics sure can be fun. :)

I would say a team with Jerry Lucas and john Havlicek and today's training methods would have destroyed UNC. Jerry Lucas averaged 21.8/17.8 with no 30 second clock. I think you could easily add 3 ppg for his threes.

On March 22, 1984 we might have seen the best one-game coaching job in the history of college basketball:

Mike Giomi, Marty Simmons, Dan Dakich & Uwe Blab (ever heard of any of those guys?) knocked the #1 team in the nation out of the NCAA Tournament....a team with 4 1st round NBA draft picks (Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty & Kenny Smith).

On March 22, 1984 we might have seen the best one-game coaching job in the history of college basketball:

Mike Giomi, Marty Simmons, Dan Dakich & Uwe Blab (ever heard of any of those guys?) knocked the #1 team in the nation out of the NCAA Tournament....a team with 4 1st round NBA draft picks (Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty & Kenny Smith).

Chaminade bro. Did your obsession with bob knight come before or after you murdered you step-father? Just wondering if there is some sort of weird Oedipus thing at play here.

A scrub is a player who rarely plays if ever.

Thanks for not calling me a racist, though. lol Somehow, I became a racist according to many on this board over my opinion on Bob knight's playing time. Sort of shows the mind set of young liberals today. Anyone who doesn't agree with us is a racist...sad

tenor.gif

Chaminade bro. Did your obsession with bob knight come before or after you murdered you step-father? Just wondering if there is some sort of weird Oedipus thing at play here.

Games played before Christmas don't mean jack. That has been WF's problem for decades. They have been good at times (not in a long time, though) before they get to the post-season, but don't do squat when it counts. One Sweet 16 in 20 years.....and barely made that one by beating the #12 & #13 seeds by 1 & 4 points.

Games played before Christmas don't mean jack. That has been WF's problem for decades. They have been good at times (not in a long time, though) before they get to the post-season, but don't do squat when it counts. One Sweet 16 in 20 years.....and barely made that one by beating the #12 & #13 seeds by 1 & 4 points.

You mean like how Bob Knight made ONE Sweet 16 in his last 12 1/2 (he quit mid-season knowing his team was bad) seasons?

He lost in the first round 6 times, missed The Dance twice and won one game three times.

As a Hall of Famer he couldn't win for over a decade when it counted.

Last edited:

Or it could have been the year before when UGA knocked the #1 team in the land out of the tournament when they were trying to repeat as National champions. It was the first year ever UGA had made the NCAAs. Pretty much the same squad except Jim Braddock was the PG, but they did have Matt Doherty ;-)

Last edited:

I was at that IU game in The Omni !

Back