• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 Greatest Black Athletes

A list that says activism is important and has MJ as #1 shows it's a joke. Having Briles and Douglas in the Top 10 shows they should have spiked the article.

With the criteria of Dominance, Impact on Society and Inspiration the Top 6 should be:

1. Ali
2. Jackie Robinson
3. Jesse Owens
4. Joe Louis
5. Jim Brown
6. Arthur Ashe

Stopped paying attention when I saw Simone Biles was 8th and Bo Jackson 25th.

A total joke. Have these people never heard of Oscar Robertson?

(And while on the subject of the Big O, anyone who hasn't done so should read Bethany Bradsher's book: The Classic: How Everett Case and His Tournament Brought Big-Time Basketball to the South.)

I was 12 years old when I went to my first Dixie Classic in December, 1958. And what a classic it was! Four of the eight teams were ranked in the top 7 in the country (UNC, NC State, Michigan State & #1 Cincinnati). Robertson was treated badly by some of the fans, but he responded by scoring 29 points in each one of his three games in the tournament. That wasn't enough, though, to prevent his undefeated Bearcats from losing to NC State in the semi-finals and to UNC in the 3rd place game the next night. (Carolina was playing in the 3rd place game because after the Wolfpack upset Cincinnati in the first semi-final game, Carolina suffered its 1st loss of the year to Jumpin' Johnny Green and his Michigan State Spartans in the other semi-final game to get their revenge from the Tar Heels for a triple overtime loss in the NCAA Final Four semi-finals two years earlier when Green was a sophomore.)

A total joke. Have these people never heard of Oscar Robertson?

(And while on the subject of the Big O, anyone who hasn't done so should read Bethany Bradsher's book: The Classic: How Everett Case and His Tournament Brought Big-Time Basketball to the South.)

I was 12 years old when I went to my first Dixie Classic in December, 1958. And what a classic it was! Four of the eight teams were ranked in the top 7 in the country (UNC, NC State, Michigan State & #1 Cincinnati). Robertson was treated badly by some of the fans, but he responded by scoring 29 points in each one of his three games in the tournament. That wasn't enough, though, to prevent his undefeated Bearcats from losing to NC State in the semi-finals and to UNC in the 3rd place game the next night. (Carolina was playing in the 3rd place game because after the Wolfpack upset Cincinnati in the first semi-final game, Carolina suffered its 1st loss of the year to Jumpin' Johnny Green and his Michigan State Spartans in the other semi-final game to get their revenge from the Tar Heels for a triple overtime loss in the NCAA Final Four semi-finals two years earlier when Green was a sophomore.)

Interesting avatar choice

Interesting avatar choice

Basketball used to be a great game based upon fundamentals, teamwork and a clear set of rules that were understood and obeyed on the court. It has now become a trash-talk circus for show-off individual play where the rules of the game are routinely ignored. Trent Strickland's jackass stunt in the 2006 Duke game that has been discussed is a perfect example of this.

Oscar Robertson & Bill Russell didn't pull stunts like that when they were playing.

Basketball used to be a great game based upon fundamentals, teamwork and a clear set of rules that were understood and obeyed on the court. It has now become a trash-talk circus for show-off individual play where the rules of the game are routinely ignored. Trent Strickland's jackass stunt in the 2006 Duke game that has been discussed is a perfect example of this.

Oscar Robertson & Bill Russell didn't pull stunts like that when they were playing.

Bob or Boob?

Also, the racist undertones of this post are so overwhelming that it would be neglectful not to point them out and ridicule you for them.

Bob or Boob?

Also, the racist undertones of this post are so overwhelming that it would be neglectful not to point them out and ridicule you for them.

I'm not sure what the racist undertones of this particular post are. He referenced black players from his definition of the "glory days". He's also not wrong about the NBA being an individualized glamour sport built on GIFs and social media trash talk, but that's probably has more to do with the current pitfalls of our society.

And with that I have filled my yearly quota of defending a BKF post

I'm not sure what the racist undertones of this particular post are. He referenced black players from his definition of the "glory days". He's also not wrong about the NBA being an individualized glamour sport built on GIFs and social media trash talk, but that's probably has more to do with the current pitfalls of our society.

jesus christ

He said something negative about a player that's black. Ignore the praise of the other black players in the post, that's how this works in 2017.

He said something negative about a player that's black. Ignore the praise of the other black players in the post, that's how this works in 2017.

It's usually not a good thing when an old white guy says the blacks were better back in the 60s and 70s.

It's usually not a good thing when an old white guy says the blacks were better back in the 60s and 70s.

"fundamentals, teamwork and a clear set of rules that were understood and obeyed on the court."

where was he wrong?

To be honest though "Trent Stricklands jackass stunt" would have blown the roof off the top of the Joel, potentially giving us the momentum to beat Duke. You have to take chances when your the underdog playing Duke.

Back