• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grayson Murray

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Played one semester at MSD before leaving to transfer to ECU. Apparently, WFU was too preppy for him. He lasted less than a semester at ECU before quitting the team and moving out of his dorm. He then committed to play at UNC-G, but never showed up. The next school was Arizona St, where he had a short stay before dropping out to turn pro. Mike Hicks caddied for him this year on the PGA tour until Eagle Point, when he quit after 9 holes in the final round. Murray won a PGA tour event in Alabama and shot 3 under in the first round of the PGA. This guy has had enormous talent since he was 12 years old, hits it a ton and has a great swing. I'm pulling for him as a former Deacon and NC native, but what is his problem with people? Did anyone know him at WFU or from junior golf? I hope he gets it together from the neck up and has a great career. Too bad he didn't believe that he fit in at WFU.

Last edited:
Played one semester at MSD before leaving to transfer to ECU. Apparently, WFU was too preppy for him. He lasted less than a semester at ECU before quitting the team and moving out of his dorm. He then committed to play at UNC-G, but never showed up. The next school was Arizona St, where he had a short stay before dropping out to turn pro. Mike Hicks caddied for him this year on the PGA tour until Eagle Point, when he quit after 9 holes in the final round. Murray won a PGA tour event in Alabama and shot 3 under in the first round of the PGA. This guy has had enormous talent since he was 12 years old, hits it a ton and has a great swing. I'm pulling for him as a former Deacon and NC native, but what is his problem with people? Did anyone know him at WFU or from junior golf? I hope he gets it together from the neck up and has a great career. Too bad he didn't believe that he fit in at WFU.

Well i would not want my daughter marrying him. Seems to either be a spoiled brat or struggles with commitment. Hope he makes it in golf as he is not suited for the working world.

He's had a lot of bumps in the road beyond just his time in college too. His biggest problem with college is he actually had to do something other than play golf. Fully admits he's not a great student but think that had more to do with the fact he "didn't like to put a lot of effort into it". Not sure why he thought he could survive anywhere with that attitude much less Wake.

http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/news/2016/10/05/murray-overcomes-adversity.html

Not going to cheer against him and hope he can harness his talent but definitely not putting him in my own "cheer for him because he's a former Deac" category either.

Yeah, he's not really a Deacon that we want to claim. He seems to have some sort of personality or spectrum disorder. I don't root against him but certainly not rooting for him

I played with him early on in junior golf, something like in 8th grade when I was first starting to play serious tournaments. Never seen a kid throw such temper tantrums on the course, I mean total meltdown kind of stuff. I remember several times having to bite my tongue not to laugh at him.

I played with him early on in junior golf, something like in 8th grade when I was first starting to play serious tournaments. Never seen a kid throw such temper tantrums on the course, I mean total meltdown kind of stuff. I remember several times having to bite my tongue not to laugh at him.

Seems like we tried to overlook his reputation because of his immense talent. Lesson learned

2011 Open Championship winner Darren Clarke spent one year at WF (1987), and then dropped/flunked out.

He readily admits that he only wanted to play golf and party when he was 18. Some people aren't ready for college, and if you have the skill and talent to make money playing golf (or something else that you prefer), that further de-incentivizes the desire to grind out the academics for those that aren't so inclined.

He got in hot water recently for making an inappropriate twitter comment to a teenager.

2011 Open Championship winner Darren Clarke spent one year at WF (1987), and then dropped/flunked out.

He readily admits that he only wanted to play golf and party when he was 18. Some people aren't ready for college, and if you have the skill and talent to make money playing golf (or something else that you prefer), that further de-incentivizes the desire to grind out the academics for those that aren't so inclined.

Coming from Ireland Darren was shocked and none too pleased to find out there was a drinking age of 21 at Wake.

Darren also did not last anything close to a full year

am I the only one that saw this thread title and thought we were talking about a really old former hoops coach (whose son, I believe, was on the search committee that brought in Skip?)

Coming from Ireland Darren was shocked and none too pleased to find out there was a drinking age of 21 at Wake.

And he wasn't allowed to smoke on the course by Jesse. Darren has never had temper or personality problems, though. He's as likeable as they come.

Back