• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Slave Auction Controversy

Well, in my opinion that is the point. It's not anywhere near as bad as actual slavery, in fact it's not like actual slavery at all. They're not auctioning off black people, they're auctioning off football players. As was mentioned, were some white players not auctioned off? But actually they weren't even auctioning off football players, they were auctioning off the stats of those football players to use in their league. So, how under any circumstance is that not only not near as bad as actual slavery, but like it in any way? Again, I just feel it's not fair to the actual slaves. We can certainly agree to disagree though.

LOL sorry I should have read the rest of this post before responding

Not fair to the actual slaves.

Amazing. Thanks for that observation.

No, but you do have to have a certain skin color in America to understand how that systematic oppression went down through the years and still impacts people with darker skin today in America. Or you at least have to try to understand the issue before you make such a blatantly false statement, you utter clown.

You're wrong. Stop.

It's not a false statement your use of curse words and insults do nothing for your argument. You also don't have to have a certain skin color to have experienced types of oppression or bias or whatever.

Has nothing to do with forcing -- no one is forced to do anything in my scenario (and the players in this place being auctioned off, I'm sure did not consent to this auction segment and probably would not have given their consent if asked). The point is in both scenarios they are doing something they think is harmless and non-offensive and people are offended by it -- liveanddie seems to think what they are doing cannot be criticized unless there is a direct comparison to the bad event and it must be as bad as the bad event or it is offensive to the people who suffered the bad event.

If they held up a card with the player's name on it and their fantasy stats from last year, without their picture, would that have been better?

Has nothing to do with forcing -- no one is forced to do anything in my scenario (and the players in this place being auctioned off, I'm sure did not consent to this auction segment and probably would not have given their consent if asked). The point is in both scenarios they are doing something they think is harmless and non-offensive and people are offended by it -- liveanddie seems to think what they are doing cannot be criticized unless there is a direct comparison to the bad event and it must be as bad as the bad event or it is offensive to the people who suffered the bad event.

I guess I understand your comments, I didn't watch the segment, so I don't know...but was it just black players that were included? I guess I'm just curious if the same people are offended by other fantasy football drafts/auctions. The images I've seen are in bad taste, but it just sounds like you're arguing against all fantasy football draft/auctions.

And liveanddie, you should probably just let it go while you're behind.

I guess I understand your comments, I didn't watch the segment, so I don't know...but was it just black players that were included? I guess I'm just curious if the same people are offended by other fantasy football drafts/auctions. The images I've seen are in bad taste, but it just sounds like you're arguing against all fantasy football draft/auctions.

And liveanddie, you should probably just let it go while you're behind.

Yeah, I guess trying to say what actual slaves went through was far worse and really not comparable in any way and in a way an insult to them to try to compare the two, makes me a racist and bigot. I'll just log off and go throw my hood on now.

It doesn't make you a racist and bigot, it's just a dumb and odd thing to say

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/slaveauction.htm

I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone isn't entitled to their opinion or that one's circumstances can't have a profound effect on their opinion. I just read something like I linked above, that is so disgusting and inhuman, and something like a fantasy football draft is compared to it??? It just bothers me, but I realize others may look at it and bring up feelings that I can't understand or relate to. Ph posted something earlier about people "who actually deal with the legacy of slavery," but I think we all as Americans have to deal with it despite our skin colors and though we may have different opinions on things, we all can makes sure that horrible history never repeats itself.

I feel like actual Draft Day might be more like slave trading than this dumb segment

Well. You're an asshole. I should have read on before quoting the previous two comments you made.

You are so unaware of anybody else and what they have gone through and it is pathetic. Reading a book isn't enough. Talk to people that went through different experiences, understand their concerns and motivations, grasp their desires, and contemplate their fears.

Or don't comment on these things.

I like that your advice is to talk to people with different backgrounds immediately after telling him to fucking stop discussing this with PH

Hate to attack the source, but I deleted my Slate app after seeing this. The quality of their content has been declining for a long time, and this was the final straw. Was it kind of stupid? Yeah sure. Stupid in the way you should laugh and call it a bad segment. Was it racist? No, no it was not.

+1

Doesn't DV7's favorite sport literally sell players to the highest bidder?

Yeah, I guess trying to say what actual slaves went through was far worse and really not comparable in any way and in a way an insult to them to try to compare the two, makes me a racist and bigot. I'll just log off and go throw my hood on now.

You must be new here.

One corporation literally buys the rights to a player from another corporation.

And players can then decline to move if they cannot come to terms on a contract to work.

So you're attempted point here is incorrect.

Back