• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: My Final Take

Yes, Dan thanks for your rich contributions to the increased respect for WF athletics in the Triad and beyond.

BTW, the more I read the more I realize that Dave Odom was a larger "difference maker" in Wake athletics than I previously understood. The guy deserves more credit and recognition.

Good piece by Dan, expanded upon in the interview with Ed. Their duet at the end of the interview is a must hear.

This is the same beat writer that didn't go to games and watched them on tv and turned a Wake football game off to go rake leaves instead.

He was pretty wishy washy on the [Redacted] topic too.

Disco Dan Collins is a hell of a writer. Wake was lucky to have him all these years.

This is the same beat writer that didn't go to games and watched them on tv and turned a Wake football game off to go rake leaves instead.

He was pretty wishy washy on the [name redacted] topic too.

Grobe's last football game if I remember correctly.

Enjoyed reading his blog. Will miss his work.

Was it a road game that he was watching on TV. Looks to me like the journal made the decision not to send the beat writer to Road games in the last several years. You can't really expect dan Collins to pay out-of-pocket to go see wake football on the road.

It will be interesting to see who takes his place and what resources he is provided

Yeah, the raking leaves games was at Vandy, Grobe's last game.

Why choose that game to stop watching of all the games to choose from? If i recall, we were leading for the majority of the game only to blow it in the final moments which then lead to a vandy walk off FG.

Was it a road game that he was watching on TV. Looks to me like the journal made the decision not to send the beat writer to Road games in the last several years. You can't really expect dan Collins to pay out-of-pocket to go see wake football on the road.

I guess. But that's what plenty of Wake fans do. And it's not unusual for someone to pay out of pocket for things that will help them perform better in their job.

Somewhat strange for him to lament Karl Hess's firing in his last column. I enjoyed reading many of his columns over the years, though.

I guess. But that's what plenty of Wake fans do. And it's not unusual for someone to pay out of pocket for things that will help them perform better in their job.

Not for the cost necessary to travel to 5-7 Wake football road games and 12+ basketball road games.

We were just talking about the season finale. I understand not traveling to every game due to expenses. But the last game should be a priority.

We were just talking about the season finale. I understand not traveling to every game due to expenses. But the last game should be a priority.

not when it's a meaningless game.

i have never, ever witnessed a single person pay to attend a work related event on their own dime that would, in theory, help them perform better in their own job. if you have done so, kudos to you. you're one in a million.

Somewhat strange for him to lament Karl Hess's firing in his last column. I enjoyed reading many of his columns over the years, though.

i don't think it was a lament...it was an illustration of how things have changed during his tenure.

Congrats to Dan and I hope he enjoys a long and healthy retirement. A class act all around, a great writer, a friend to Wake Forest and a legend in NC sports journalism. He will be missed.

Back