• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Wasn't that prediction of mine also when it was thought Ty Walker wouldn't be on the team?

Wasn't that prediction of mine also when it was thought Ty Walker wouldn't be on the team?

At bettin' time I believe we knew Ty was suspended until December but that he would not be kicked off the team.

keep your eyes on the road......

I like the toughness and ability to play multiple positions from our recruits.

Eric Johnson is a name to remember. 2014 guard at Christ School (NC). Saw him at the MLK event yesterday...definitely a future ACC player.

Who else looked good that isn't on anybody's radar?

I wouldn't call Eric Johnson an under-the-radar player.

The only other Wake target I saw, as far as I know, is RJ Curington (2013 Oak Hill SG), who did not really impress me. It's tough to judge since he doesn't get much playing time (Oak Hill is disgusting for a HS team. I think they'd beat us 2-3 out of 10), but I don't think we'll end up offering (full disclosure: I said the same thing about Anthony Fields not that long ago).

Christ School has another sophomore - Josh Level (6'5 wing) - that looked really good, but I have no idea if we're recruiting him.

Corbean was there all day, and Larue and Buzz were there for most of the day, so I'm sure they are well aware of all these guys.

My quick thoughts on other notable players:

-All of Oak Hill's stars were legit (Tyler, DSR, Adams, Hammons). The first three will be impact players next year imo. I will say though, after standing next to Tyler (not trying to #humblebrag), Oak Hill listing him at 5'11 is hilarious. He is 5'9 max.
-I only saw the last two minutes of Rountree's game. They were up comfortably against Wesleyan, a team that has to be in the running for biggest waste of talent in the country. Aaron had around 15, and I heard he led his team in assists, rebounds, and blocks.

-To answer the opposite of Strick's question, I saw one player who is on the national radar, but did not look good. Brandon Bolden, a C committed to Georgetown. Calling him a project would be an understatement. He does not have any discernible basketball skill. I mean it's normal for a big to not be a good shooter or passer, but, based on one game, Bolden is not a good rebounder or an impact shot blocker. I can't recall him making a single good play. He doesn't even start for a QEA team that isn't that good - they lost in OT to High Point Christian (HPC is about as good as a team can possibly be without D1 talent, but still). I guess he must have looked great in some AAU tournaments this summer...he's an afterthought on QEA.

Last edited:
What did you think of Tree's performance? From the tweets, it seemed like the norm from him: Not that many points, but good court vision and very intense leader.

What did you think of Tree's performance? From the tweets, it seemed like the norm from him: Not that many points, but good court vision and very intense leader.

Rivals just did a story with him and from what he was saying he hasn't really needed to score much this season. He's the point for his team and is averaging something silly like 12 points/12 boards/9 assists/4 blocks a game.

Doesn't QEA have a 6'9 or so kid who is a soph/Jr?

I think you mean this guy, Jordan Robinson. He started over my man Bolden, for whatever that's worth. He was pretty passive...it was very much a perimeter/transition oriented game. Jordan didn't actually play very much. QEA has like a 10 man rotation, and they ended up going small most of the game anyway. He passed the look test though.

I only saw the last two minutes of that game. Really can't comment. His teammate going to UNCA (blanking on the name, wanna say Hughes) won the game MVP award, but I think that's pretty much entirely based on points scored.

Re: Davon Reed:

Despite no list, Reed indicated that Wake Forest, Harvard, Xavier and Virginia Tech are showing the most interest right now. Reed’s head coach, Paris McLean, was quick to add the Scarlet Knights and St. Joseph’s to those in the mix, in addition to Seton Hall, which has been in contact, but has not seen Reed play this winter according to McLean.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/16/recruiting-heating-up-for-davon-reed/

Re: Davon Reed:

Despite no list, Reed indicated that Wake Forest, Harvard, Xavier and Virginia Tech are showing the most interest right now. Reed’s head coach, Paris McLean, was quick to add the Scarlet Knights and St. Joseph’s to those in the mix, in addition to Seton Hall, which has been in contact, but has not seen Reed play this winter according to McLean.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/16/recruiting-heating-up-for-davon-reed/

Anyone else think it looks like he plays for TEAM ANAL?

Back