• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Last edited:
We have peaked at #10 in the ESPN rankings. Would have liked a couple of top-50 types in this class, but hard to complain too much. Nice job by the coaching staff.

I've said for a while that Wake's best teams combined "foundation" classes with "special" classes. Foundation classes are ones that have a lot of solid players but no true stars, where special classes have stars. The 2 best examples are the 2009 team (foundation class in 2006, two special classes in 2007 and 2008) and the 2005 team (foundation class in 2002, special class in 2003), but there are others as well. The original thought was that 2010 would be a foundation class and that 2011 would hopefully be a special one. As of right now, we can probably throw that hope out the window.

There is hope that 2012's class can be a good foundational class (or perhaps better, if guys outplay their respective rankings). We need a special class in 2013 to have much hope at getting over the hump.

I've said for a while that Wake's best teams combined "foundation" classes with "special" classes. Foundation classes are ones that have a lot of solid players but no true stars, where special classes have stars. The 2 best examples are the 2009 team (foundation class in 2006, two special classes in 2007 and 2008) and the 2005 team (foundation class in 2002, special class in 2003), but there are others as well. The original thought was that 2010 would be a foundation class and that 2011 would hopefully be a special one. As of right now, we can probably throw that hope out the window.

There is hope that 2012's class can be a good foundational class (or perhaps better, if guys outplay their respective rankings). We need a special class in 2013 to have much hope at getting over the hump.

Our 2010 guys should be strong individual talents as juniors and seniors, combining the more role-player types in 2011 and the versatile guys in 2012 that create mismatch problems at almost every position. Very exciting, very strong class.

I have tempered expectations for the upcoming season (10+ wins and strong individual/team efforts in every game), but the 2012 season could be special again.

As others have already said, a Gill/Meeks class in 2013 would be excellent as both players are of an individual high caliber and would fill needs on the team.

Last edited:
The same thoughts have been expressed a thousand times, but I'm stoked for this class. I have *no* expectations for this season, but I'm interested to see if we've progressed at all, I hope to see Moto and Cavanaugh play a game or two in the DC area this year, and I can't wait to see #thesupersix in Wake unis next season (especially since they all seem to feel the same way). Who knows how the Bzz era will ultimately turn out, but at least the cupboard won't be completely bare. Go Deacs!

I didn't realize Devin's dad was a coach.

It sounds great that he intends to add at least ten more pounds before arriving in Deacdom.

"And I’m becoming good friends with the other five recruits, because they’re going to be my family for the next four years."

"Now, since I know I can play in this conference, I’m already working on what I need to work on to be a successful player in college basketball — especially at such a high level."

Like what I'm hearin out of Devin.

Good report. According to buzzouters, he's the worst coach in the history of basketball, but seems to be pretty decent on the recruiting front.

Good report. According to buzzouters, he's the worst coach in the history of basketball, but seems to be pretty decent on the recruiting front.

Based on a single huge class without any superstars? That's like running a 5K in 20 minutes and declaring yourself a sub 3 hour marathoner, while ignoring the 4-5 hour marathons you've run in the past. I hold out hope that this class isn't an anomaly, but to this point in his coaching career, it is.

Please don't bring that into this thread.

Both of you, stop. We're not going down that road in this thread.

(edit: racer and deacfreke)

Back